November 15th, 2011

The Next List: Marco Tempest, the 'cyber-illusionist'

Each week “The Next List,” with host Dr. Sanjay Gupta, profiles innovators from all walks of life and all fields of endeavor. This new CNN TV series will explore what makes each of these individuals a non-conformist agent of change.

Our goal is to explore why these innovators are successful - and to take a fun peek into their creative worlds.

These subjects are driving change that will impact our lives - in technology, education, entertainment, the arts and natural sciences. We will explore how their passion, personal history and unique thinking enabled their successes today.

Our first Next Lister is Marco Tempest, a magician who's so unique he wouldn't even use that word to describe himself. Instead, he refers to himself as a "cyber-illusionist." Tempest combines videos, computer graphics and other modern technologies with the ideas of old-world magic.

Tempest began performing at a very young age. By the time he was 22, he had captured the prestigious New York World Cup of Magic, launching him into international prominence. Always working to stay just a bit ahead of the curve, he has a particularly winning way of taking his audiences with him on his magical excursions into the land of tomorrow.

Take a look at our first show, which aired on Sunday. To watch the full program, start with the video at the top of this post and then continue with the videos below. Thanks – and let us know what you think in the comments section!

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Post by:
Filed under: Innovation • Tech • The Next List
  1. In home personal training

Marco Temptest you are so talented. I love how you make peoples heads spin.

April 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  2. tim

Really people this was an interesting piece and all I hear is complaining about a commercial. We all know nothing is free. I'm just happy I did not have to pay to enjoy it .

November 21, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Reply
    • Kazanova

JakeHustle2 on November 20, 2008 bteter warranty doesnt mean they make good cars! they dont have toyota's good reputation!

February 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Reply
  3. FunMakeR

I noticed that the butterfly wing appears when he wants to disappear the butterfly (Part 4 – 00:50). Do you really call this magic :)

November 18, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Reply
  4. hecep

Hear me now and believe me later but think about it real soon!

November 17, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Reply
  5. TerrorNova

Dear CNN – Do you watch TED Talks? If you did, you would have discovered Mr. Tempest when the rest of us did a year ago. Way to be on the cutting edge.

Also, @Mindlayer – amen to that! The commercials at the beginning of videos are painful to sit through. And the Capital One "frame" around the entire CNN home page a couple weeks ago was just disgusting for a news organization. Come on CNN, we're rooting for you to improve your user experience. Get it together.

November 17, 2011 at 11:35 am | Reply
    • trp55

Having to watch a commercial before every video is so irritating!!

November 18, 2011 at 10:05 am | Reply
      • Negra

I think it was really hlpeful and made me want to change the world It's very nice and touching to watch those videos, and it was such a luck for us to see him visit our school!! He was really the hero for the children

April 30, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • Wally Mountz

SOMEBODY has to pay for these. If CNN offered such a method, are you willing to become a paid subscriber in order to watch such videos?

November 19, 2011 at 10:51 am | Reply
  6. Aashish

Pretty neat! What's the name of the tiny screen he's using in Part-2?

November 17, 2011 at 8:35 am | Reply
  7. Ramonre

Microtempest magic show

November 17, 2011 at 5:50 am | Reply
  8. Mindlayr

Really the same commercial between each freakin video? I thought I would come back to CNN and see if you had changed your stupid policy of requiring me to watch a commercial between each video. Of course not that would mean you actually care about what we say instead of trying to force this down our throats. Even Fox isn't this bad.

November 16, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Reply
  9. Xerxes_2011

Challenge: Marco Tempest, can you make it rain........up? Can you lay in a bed, trip and fall up? How many sides does a sphere have? What happens to the body if you were to reverse the blood flow in your body? If we all stopped counting, would time still be ticking?

November 16, 2011 at 10:38 am | Reply
    • Jean

atbee on October 14, 2010 Its a good wind tnbirue design and i have many like it myself. I think it is basically a cowled wind tnbirue but you should still go ahead and get it made and sell it, IMO

February 20, 2012 at 3:42 am | Reply
    • Katia

I think Efren helped many kids get their educotian back, and I also think his pushcart classroom idea was successful. He also tried his best to teach the kids, and I think I could do the same as him.

April 30, 2012 at 5:05 am | Reply