New video gamer: Africa needs more technology
December 12th, 2011

New video gamer: Africa needs more technology

By John D. Sutter, CNN

Busan, South Korea (CNN) - Cwi Nqani doesn’t drive. He doesn’t have a phone. And even if he did, the nearest place he could charge it would be a 10-mile walk from the thatched hut where he lives in southern Namibia.

But against all these odds, the 32-year-old who wears bracelets made of ostrich eggs and a loincloth competed last week in a car-racing video game - played on mobile phones - at the World Cyber Games here in South Korea.

Nqani didn’t win a single match in the game, "Asphalt 6." But the experience of attending the Olympics of video games, along with 600 of the best video gamers on the planet, was eye-opening and humbling, he said.

“I will take the experience and maybe next time I will be the winner,” he said, “because I will learn from others.”

Nqani’s journey to this video-gaming tournament is nothing short of incredible.

This fall in Namibia, he happened to be selling bracelets and other cultural artifacts from his ethnic group, the San, at a trade show in Windhoek, the country’s capital. Coincidentally, nearby was Lubomir Lang from the World Cyber Games, who had set up a big white tent to host Namibia’s preliminary national championships in gaming.

Nqani had never seen a video game, or even heard about them. But he was intrigued, so he went in the tent. He was so taken by the games he found - FIFA soccer, "Tekken," a fighting game and the mobile racing game "Asphalt 6" - that he decided to compete in the tournament for a chance to attend the world championships in Korea.

As he was the only competitor in "Asphalt 6," he was automatically chosen to attend.

To practice for the international tournament, Nqani said Samsung sent him a free mobile phone, the Galaxy S II. They had to send a solar charger, too, so Nqani wouldn’t have to walk to another village when its battery died.

When the phone arrived, Nqani and his family were overjoyed.

“They were all trying to grab the phone from me when we played,” he said, a broad smile coming across his face.

Last week, a film crew took him on a tour of Busan, the coastal metropolis where the World Cyber Games were held. He went ice skating for the first time. Rode a high-speed bus. Went to a spa. And even a disco, where they music was far too loud for his taste (“Oh! My ears! Boom, boom, boom!” he said.)

His main takeaway from being plucked from a village of nomadic hunters and dropped in South Korea - arguably the world’s most technologically advanced country - is that Africa needs more technology.

That’s because it could help people advance and find new jobs, he said.

But also because it’s fun.

“Everybody should have a chance to play,” he said of video games.

Post by:
Filed under: Innovation • Tech
  1. JoeC

I met this guy personally and he is one of the nicest guys I ever met in these games. Very professional, yet enjoying every second of his time. Gaming has brought millions of people from around the world together and will continue to do so in the Future. I have seen this personally... just consider how many players just play 1 of the top games on the internet at this time... then bring 11 more games like that together and you can get some grasp of how many people are brought together by these types of E-Sports. It was amazing..... and will be even bigger next year.

December 15, 2011 at 10:58 am | Reply
  2. ak2k

Wow! What an infectious smile that guy has!! Just looking at him brightens my day.

December 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Reply
  3. Meta

this made my day =D

December 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Reply
  4. Ben

I love it when a news story puts a smile on my face!

December 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  5. citizenJP

Will others who he would want to call have cell phones?

December 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Reply
  6. TIm

"Nomad" You mean HOMELESS man? Idiot.

December 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Reply
    • S1N

You might want to learn how to read before you open your mouth, moron. Read the article. It clearly states that he DOES have a home. In fact, it's a thatched hut, which is not all that uncommon for tribal regions of Africa.

Please save the gene pool and kill yourself.

December 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Reply
    • I M

No, they mean nomad. Read the article instead of just deciding black guy with bad teeth = homeless.

December 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Reply
    • Wow You're Stupid

I agree. You should kill yourself for being so stupid Tim.

December 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Reply
    • bednar

Actually, nomad. Read the flipping article. Damn.

December 13, 2011 at 1:37 pm | Reply
    • Ryan

Tim, go back to elementary school and learn more about "Nomadic" people of the world.

December 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Reply
    • Cyrus

Congratulations! You are the bona fide idiot of the week.

December 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Reply
    • lagos

Must be one of those ONLY Fox News, Rush/Hannity listeners.

December 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Reply
    • Other Tim

You give Tim's a bad name

December 13, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Reply
      • TINY TIM

I think Tim is right, and Tim is wrong.

December 14, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  7. Curtis

Looks like, in addition to video games, Namibians could also use good dental care.

December 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Reply
  8. awdam

Obama has got a twin brother from another mother!!!

December 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Reply
    • Warren

Cause you know not a single picture of a black man from anywhere in the world can be posted anywhere without some idiot posting an insult about Obama. No wonder the US still has massive racial problems...

December 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Reply
      • awdam

Im not racist! I dont like either side of his ha lf breed bu tt!

December 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
      • Orson

The racial problems in the USA cannot be that great, since Obama winning the presidency depended on the voters of a country where Caucasians compose the majority of its citizens.

December 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Dima

Yes racism is very funny.... /s

December 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Reply
      • Rob

Well laughter is the best medicine but if you can't laugh at racism than there is no cure. Being politically correct has gotten more people killed then I want to think about.

December 13, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • lagos

Surely you must be listening to ONLY Fox News, Rush, and Hannity.

December 13, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  9. HAHA

Is that Leon Spinks?

December 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  10. mattmchugh

This is an interesting illustration of technology in rural Africa and other developing areas is "skipping" a generation. Without an extensive wired infrastructure - including phone, data, or even power - most modern telecommunications are absent from these regions. However, solar, satellite, wireless and wind power are actually gaining a toehold more quickly, since they don't require much pre-existing support systems. If the trend continues, with enough support from the rest of the world, a form of the "one laptop per child" concept could become a reality within our lifetimes, connecting some of the poorest regions of the world with practically the same access to information as wealthy countries. This is something I'd love to live to see: literally, every person on the planet able to access the sum of it's knowledge. What a great day for humanity that will be.

Till then, I'm glad this guy's having some fun with a cellphone game. It's step in the right direction.

- mm

December 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Reply
    • shootmyownfood

There are still plenty of children in "wealthy" countries who cannot afford a computer or computer access. For working parents at the minimum wage level, or even above, there is no extra money to afford a computer. Even if one is charitably donated, the access costs can be preclusive. It would be great if all these philanthropists were to concentrate on the citizens of their own country until all are technologically equal.

December 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Reply
      • Charlie

Fortunately they should be able to get access at libraries

December 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
      • mattmchugh

The incremental cost of digital information - including a computer or reader device, power, and Internet access - is dramatically less than the maintenance of libraries and distribution of physical books. Soon enough, tablets and ebooks will become part of public-funded education in the U.S., just as textbooks are now. That's inevitable. Should take about a decade, more or less. What's less sure is if places that have never had textbooks get the same chance in a similar time frame.

Poor, uneducated people, whether at home or abroad, are a huge drain on the planet's increasingly stressed resources. Investing in technologies that offer unprecedented power to educate them (the smartphone in your pocket can access more information than all the libraries of Earth held 100 years ago) is not charity but self-preservation. It's not a magic wand that will change the world overnight, but it is undoubtedly its best long-term hope for improvement.

- mm

December 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
      • Holden Caulfield

This whole "take care of our 'own' first" mantra is rooted in xenophobia and is indicative of a person's basic philosophy that they deserve more and better access to technology and resources than other human beings.

What part of living in a different geographical location than the one in which you currently reside makes a person *not* your "own"?

This is also a form of egotism. Why should there be a distinction between the poor child in your neighborhood who has access to clean running water and medical care (don't tell me that if this child were to call 911 that he or she would not be transported to a hospital) and a poor child on a different continent who somehow deserves fewer chances because we must hoard all of the resources to serve "our own" first?

December 14, 2011 at 3:02 am |
  11. Mike

So, from a purely pragmatic standpoint, I don't understand why people seek to preserve cultures. Theoretically, it's because we can't say "Well, our culture is better than yours, so you should take ours instead." Ok... I can get that. Except that, with the improvement in standard of living, I can quantifiably demonstrate that our culture is better than living in a thatched hut. So why don't we go to these places and help them acquire better technology and better access to knowledge? Sure, it might bring an end to their current culture... but it would allow them to develop their own new culture with a better standard of living. I'm not asking for Africa to become America 2, I'm simply asking for us, the industrialized world, to devote more time to increasing the information access in Africa so they can increase their standard of living in a way that they see fit. I don't see why so many people feel the need to withhold that information purely for the sake of keeping someone living in a thatched hut, because they don't want to take that culture away from them.

December 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Reply
    • Ancient wisdom

The san have been on the planet for more than 250,000 years, and are the ancestors of every non african on the planet. the problem with european culture is that they try the quantify everything. Which leads an inability to see the whole picture. European culture is finding that its way of life is unsustainable. with only maybe 5,000 years europeans are poised to wipe themselves and the rest of the population of the planet. europeans inability to see knowledge and wisdom in others culture is what is leading to this childlike obsession to consume and commodify every natural resource on the planet. The san have a very important lesson to teach us.

December 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Reply
      • Mayor McCheese

Like it or not, this is the world he live in. Perhaps his culture can teach Western culture some things, however, the simple fact remains that the world is firmly sitting with Western culture and technology. It is quaint to think that his tribe – or isolated Amazonian tribes – can maintain their isolation, but, why should they? They are people, not museum exhibits. Why should we keep them blissfully ignorant of technology that could enhance their lives beyond what they could ever imagine. they can turn it down also if they don't like it, but they should be exposed to it.

December 13, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
      • Ancient wisdom

Isolation isn't the issue . The issue is feeling that western thought and philosophy is quantifiably superior. then forcing others to conform to those ideals. Contact is inevitable, but the believe that somehow these people would be better off with a house, car, a grassy lawn and Mcdonalds is shortsighted. What westerners fail to realize is that "primitive" people live longer, stress free, healthier(free from diseases like cancer and diabetes) lives than westerners. the perpetual state of arrogance brought on by false superiority will drive the entire "civilized world off a cliff. And the people who survive will be the people who have maintained ways of doing things that don't require electronics.

December 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • L

The standard of living they have is how they see fit already. Maybe some cultures don't value THINGS as much as we do... I wouldn't mind if we worried less about things and more about people. If you go on some kind of volunteer mission trip (religious or not) to a poor country, it's amazing to see how happy these people are and yet they have no material possessions.

December 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Reply
  12. Jason Viper

Not sure if anybody has already mentioned this, but he looks just like that guy from the movie "The Gods Must be Crazy"!!!

December 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Reply
    • Casey

Hahaha, never seen the movie but have seen the cover of the dvd! Hilarious

December 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Reply
    • Infinity

You can always tell an expert! Thanks for contburiting.

January 14, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Reply
  13. gaucho420

Great article!

December 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Reply
    • Irem

1.) Well in my opinion, deertmining whether people are altruistic that their just responding to specific incentives depends on the person and the specific situation. Altruism, in its purest form, is defined as sacrificing some of your own survival ability in order to augment someone else's. I believe a truly altruistic act exists and has to be purely reactionary. The man who jumps into a river to save someone who is drowning, or the soldier who tries to smother a grenade to save his fellow soldiers is altruistic act. They hadn't given any thought about their gain, but rather focused on saving the other person's life. They may enjoy the praise and the reward of feeling good about their deed afterwards, but the act itself is altruistic. Nonetheless I do believe such acts are rare, and that most people act based on some sort of incentive.2.) I don't believe that the motive behind any positive action should matter. What is more important is not the reason behind the good deed, but rather the fact that this took time and effort out of his/her day to help another human being out. For example, giving a homeless person $2 just because he keeps on bugging you is much better than to not give the $2 to him because you think your doing it for all the wrong reasons. So long as your doing good deeds, the reasons should not matter.

September 24, 2012 at 10:46 am | Reply
    • Karol

Odd, I was sure I'd left a comment here.Anyway, I reemebmr seeing these when I was a kid, but never bothered to get them– any money I had which might have gone towards them seemed better spent on more NES games, or Ninja Turtles figures, or other stuff in general.Still, I'm glad to see what I missed out on at the time. Truth be told, I'd like a copy of the Super Mario Bros. one, if only because it has "official" art of Peach in the same colors as the original game, before she went "all pink, all the time."

September 26, 2012 at 2:16 am | Reply
  14. gaming guru

Jerk comment I know but what I got from this is that someone who never played a video game before went to a tournament, had a good time, and lost every game..........that people are sending gaming addiction to areas that don't even have much in the way of electricity. Okay. Doesn't seem newsworthy to me. I could go down the street, walk up to one of the homeless people on the corner, find the one who has never played a video game before and take him/her somewhere to lose a lot and meet people too. That doesn't change anything about the lives of the people in these stories. Similarly, a billionaire could take me and put me in a grand prix car and I would come in last and meet a lot of people but i'd go home to my normal everyday job. These stories have no point. If you are going to support Nqani, do so after you have supported the local homeless people down the street. Your local community needs just as much support as some guy in another country.....

December 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Reply
  15. el1tehackz0r

This man is the definition of a n00b.

December 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Reply
    • Wow You're Right

Agreed. I would pwn him.

December 13, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Reply
  16. High IQ'er

Dude needs a flipper.

December 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Reply
  17. Red Pison

More like Africa needs more dentists.

December 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Reply
    • cronewinter

So do a lot of Americans..too expensive.

December 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Reply
  18. Max Powers

I love my video games, but if daily survival was something I had to think about, I might just pass them up.

December 13, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Reply
    • Josh

What's the point of daily survival if you're not having any fun?

December 13, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Reply
      • Jim

Paging Dr Maslow...

December 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
  19. The Real Bristol Palin

I'd like to shack up with that guy in the picture. Oh wait... I already am !

December 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Reply
    • Dayanara

I had no idea how to approach this before-now I\'m lckoed and loaded.

January 12, 2012 at 8:32 am | Reply
    • qaihxjpoc

8D1ucI lmtljbsugebt

January 13, 2012 at 4:07 am | Reply
  20. Ban-San

Really awesome story, I am very happy that this gentleman got to experience things that I'm sure he was thrilled to have seen/done. Must have been an unbelievable time for him. All the best, and keep practicing buddy!

December 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  21. Paddy B

Wow! All this hate for video games. First off, video games are awesome at what they do: ENTERTAIN! You'll take a date to a movie where you don't interact and simply sit there and watch a story, whilst in a video game, you are creating the story. You are interacting with your friends.

Second, I grew up on educational video games. I played the sh!t out of Carmen Sandiego and Math Hoppers and a plethora of other games. Now I'm a nuclear engineer. Video games can improve your brain in a number of different ways that physical sports cannot. Reaction times, muscle memory, critical thinking, problem solving, math, physics, proper English, and pretty much every other school subject can be taught via games.

Physical sports that so many of you haters cling to cannot improve your brain. Sure you'll have kickass abs and great stamina. However, all you meat-heads are the idiots that end up working for me as my mail boy. Welcome to the Information Age where your brain is your most important asset.

Are video games addicting? Some of them can be for people with addictive personalities. All things in moderation. I love video games. If I could get a job making video games, I would. I have amazing ideas for the industry. However, I have a family to feed and that is why I do the job I do.

And FYI, I spend around 8 hours per week on video games on a good week. Most weeks it's only 4 to 6 hours, so don't tell me I am another game addict. How many of you trolls are ALT-TABbing to their facebook page to harvest your crops on Farmville?

December 13, 2011 at 11:50 am | Reply
    • absolutezero

Thank you. My point as well.

December 13, 2011 at 11:56 am | Reply
      • absolutezero

Mostly, because I see the value in sports as well.

December 13, 2011 at 11:58 am |
      • Roselaine

Cynthia1)I simply do not beivlee that a truly altruistic person exists because everyone ultimately decides to do something defined as virtuous for their own gain. You may argue that, for example, helping an old lady cross the street cannot possibly be an act of selfishness. However, by having her praise your kindness and goodness , it will increase the level of satisfaction you have with yourself as a person and give you something to feel good about for the rest of the day. Unconsciously, perhaps, but you do not help the old lady purely out of concern for her safety but rather for your own self respect. If you were to know that she would yell at you for harassing her instead of praising you, you would not offer to help in the first place.2)The act of doing good is what benefits society and keeps it improving so the reason behind the act should not matter. Many people have the best of intentions and reasons to do something positive for others but never get around to it. These individuals won't ever be appreciated. Even if your reason is punishment for doing something bad such as criminals sentenced to volunteer work, it still helps the community in a positive way.

September 25, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
    • WOW

You're a Nuclear Engineer? seriously? I bet you're really a twinkie eating World of Warcraft addicted geek who lives with his mom. Sports help build confidence and good health. You sound fat and pathetic.

December 13, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Reply
      • Paddy B

HAHA! I pay more in taxes than you could hope to make in year, pal! Go back to your burger flipping. ROTFL!

December 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
      • Brad

It apparently does build good character if you are any evidence.

December 13, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
      • Brad

Ooops, ment to say doesn't. Power to the gamers!!

December 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
      • Liar!!

Paddy B if you have to brag about having that much money, you usually are a liar!!!!!! You are a fat pathetic gamer who lives in your momies basement just as mentioned previously just admit it, liar! LOL

December 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Jams

I concur. I grew up on Math Blasters and the old DOS Prince of Persia, and I think both had a profound impact on my development. I aced every math test ever handed to me, and wound up becoming a mechanical engineer, thanks in part to those games.

December 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Reply
    • el1tehackz0r

Most physical sports require a whole deal of strategy, experience, and brainpower- at least if you want to be good at them. An NFL quarterback needs to have a large playbook memorized, and know how to read a defense and call the right audible at the line of scrimmige, not to mention make quick decisions in the face of the bone-crushing force of a linebacker. And that's just one example.

December 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Reply
    • Jamie

You spend 8 hours a week playing video games. I spend about 7-9 hours a week running, play zero video games, and make over 100K. I'm glad I'm in awesome shape...just a side effect of the gift of running....1000X more gratifyin than sitting on your ass staring at a screen.

December 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Reply
      • absolutezero

To each his own

December 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • akabaloo

I play video games, mostly FIFA, play soccer, and other sports regularly, and I have a social life, and harvest all my crops on Farmville. I have a job as a programmer, and while it may not sound as awesome as a Nuclear Engineer, I love my job.

Video games are not evil, not everyone who plays them is fat and lives in their mother's basement, and I think sports are completely necessary for development. They do develop thinking skills, and if you played a sport, you would know that. It just happens to keep you more physically fit at the same time.

December 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Reply
    • Idiot

Buddy, you show your ignorance by saying sports do not develop the brain, it is scientifically proven that it does!!! If you truly were an engineer you probably would have learned that in science 1010!!! Go back to your basement and focus on what you are good at, nothing!!! LMFAO, dumbaZZ!!!

December 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Reply
  22. NTaylor

'Africa needs more technology'

And better access to dental healthcare

December 13, 2011 at 11:50 am | Reply
    • shootmyownfood

If you tweet it, they will come. (or something like that)

December 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Reply
    • Ryan

So does the "other America" per Sarah Palin. Ha!

December 13, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Reply
      • pathetic

You people that always have to mention the Palin’s need to grow up and get some new material!!! MOVE on you pathetic low lives who can't think of anything else funny to say!!! And I am anything but a Palin fan, FYI!!! I just want to read funny, witty, or intelligent comments so get some NEW and BETTER material! What a joke you are!!!

December 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  23. Bobby

Nice story, the fact is gaming indeed ruins some kids lives but on the other side it saves some kids. It keeps you from going out late night and partying and getting in trouble, I know I think online gaming saved my life.

December 13, 2011 at 11:44 am | Reply
  24. Johnny

The greatest fraud in western journalism is the coverage of Africa. Go and see for yourself as I do and you'll be amazed at how mordern it is. The only American city more beautiful thatn Abuja, Nigeria is Las Vegas. The richest black person on earth is not Oprah. It's Dangote, a Nigerian who lives in Nigeria and he is worth $14 billion. There are at least 100 Nigerians richer than Oprah. Western coverage of Africa is journalism with the intention to insult. And this report is an example.

December 13, 2011 at 11:35 am | Reply
    • DeeNYC

Get real. Africa in general is a hole. Just because there's a couple of nice spots doesn't change that. The only people more backwards than Africans are muslims.

December 13, 2011 at 11:39 am | Reply
      • Jonathan

Wow that's an incredibly racist statement...

December 13, 2011 at 11:46 am |
      • Johnny

I bet you have never stepped into Africa. You have never seen Africans who will never live elsewhere. All you know is the nonsense your press and your local church feeds you about Africa. By the way, I'm a Christian not a muslim.

December 13, 2011 at 11:49 am |
      • Mikey

You are clearly ignorant.you are probably one of those people who has never traveled beyond the state you live in.Get out of your box for a sec you will be surprised what you find.Again, to highlight what Johnny said, I don't blame you because you are probably feeding off the crap the media gives you.There is nothing in America or another Developed country that you wont find in Africa.True story! I am half American half British but unlike you, I have traveled the world (many African countries included) and I can tell you for a fact that the media do a pretty lousy job of reporting on Africa.So lousy that they actually deserve medals for it.

December 13, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Easy E

First off Las Vegas isn't pretty, I can't believe you'd use that for a comparison to anything. Have you ever been to NYC? San Francisco/Bay area? Seattle? Portland? Denver? Austin? Those are pretty metro areas.

But kudos to you for bringing our attention to the fact that our media is lame, baised, and uncreative. I think we'd all love to hear more about your neck of the woods on these forums, because we aren't going to learn about anything interesting from the MSM.

December 13, 2011 at 11:41 am | Reply
      • Serous?????

Are you kidding me??? New York is the dirtiest and most disgusting city I have been to; don't get me wrong I love it, it is one of the funniest but dirtiest!!! Vegas is very beautiful at night much more then NYC!!!! San Fran is good and so is Seattle but you are smoking crack if you think NYC is!!! LOL

December 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
      • Serous?????

Denver too???? wow you have a VERY low threshold for beautiful!!! LOL

December 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • Cartier

I agree, 100%.

December 13, 2011 at 11:43 am | Reply
    • james

yeah... okay. First off, the Nigerians need to give back the money they've taken from those various scams. Second, $14 billion isn't $14 billion when your $1,000,000 is equal to a dollar. Sure you carry around bills with lots of zeroes on them, but that doesn't make them worth that much.

December 13, 2011 at 11:44 am | Reply
      • Colin

Are you a troll or just this ignorant?

December 13, 2011 at 11:59 am |
      • Lod Gord

You could not even take the time to goggle the Nigerian currency and exchange rates before you posted. Because you are anonymous does not mean should let everyone know how ignorant and lazy you are.

December 13, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
      • Amerifat

If you want to talk about scams, you Americans need only look to your politicians. If you want to talk about a corrupt government, you only need to turn to your own mainstream news channel, which not only unfairly represents candidates by giving them unnecessary coverage (WHO THE F IS VOTING FOR NEWT GINGRICH? REALLY? HAHAHA, WATCH THE REPUBLICAN DEBATES YOU FOOLS. RON PAUL 2012), but it also always takes sides, such as the Occupy protests, and creates a dividing line between the people. Oh, WHAT'S THAT? NOT ALL AMERICANS ARE LIKE THAT? WELL NOT ALL NIGERIANS ARE LIKE THAT.

December 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • JohnnyHater

Johnny, Nigeria does not speak for all of Africa. Nigeria has vast natural resources...it also has vast corruption. A very small number of Nigerians control an absurd amount of wealth. The same is not true of all the people. And as fantastic as those cities may seem; they hide the same economic disparity that all cities do.

December 13, 2011 at 11:45 am | Reply
    • tboz

But the wealth disparity in Nigeria is even more shocking than in the US. I remember the first time I visited Lagos from Osogbo/Ibadan. I saw apples and horses for the first time. I was so amazed by the big and modern houses especially compared to my home and my grandparents' village. The fact that Abuja has money doesn't discredit this story. It's true that the media chooses to focus on the negative images that simply reinforce bigotry (as exemplified by most of the comments on this article). But I don't know who Dangote is but what is he doing for his country? Just like many rich Nigerians, probably nothing. Just sending their children to private schools in Britain and the US.

December 13, 2011 at 11:46 am | Reply
      • Brad

All news is mostly bad news, they aren't just picking on Africa, they pick on everyone, don't be so sensitive.

December 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • Brad

I'm sure their are beautiful places in Africa, but as a continent, it is very poor, there is very little technology, and very little middle class. It is mostly either poor or rich with no inbetween. You compare Africa to the North American continent and there is an amazing difference. Better to live in North American then Africa.

December 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  25. Kevin O.

THIS is one of the Top 10 reasons why I stopped online gaming. If I wouldn't associate with people like this in real life, then why in blazes would I associate with TRASH online?

December 13, 2011 at 11:26 am | Reply
    • DeeNYC

this guy isn't trash, he's just primitive. He's probably a better person than you.

December 13, 2011 at 11:37 am | Reply
      • Kona

I think he meant to reply to someone but made a mistake in clicking the wrong button.

December 13, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • Mike in Memphis

So "trash" equates to poor, isolated, minorities in developing countries? Or just black people in general?

December 13, 2011 at 11:38 am | Reply
      • minority = < majority

Mikey boy, the gentleman featured in this article is certainly no "minority" among the San or anyone else in Namibia. "Minority" means "not in the majority", not "black". Get it straight.

December 13, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Honestly

could the real reason be that you"re some greater than thou elitist bigot?

December 13, 2011 at 11:38 am | Reply
    • Joanna

Who are you to say that he's trash?
      Who ARE you anyway?
      What makes you think that you're so fantastic that you can not seem to handle dealing with someone who comes from another culture, another country, a completely different person?
      Why bother insulting this man that you don't even know? His teeth are in bad condition? Who cares?
      Get a life, stop insulting people you don't know.

December 13, 2011 at 11:42 am | Reply
      • Brad

Joanna, don't bother, simple minded people like him will always need someone to down to make themselves feel better. It makes him feel like he is worth something even though he isn't. I would much rather be friends with the African gentleman then that simple minded fool.

December 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Cartier

this is one of the reason I stop watching CNN.

December 13, 2011 at 11:45 am | Reply
    • Kevin O.Bigotry

You're a sad individual. Look at others like you do yourself. Say no to bigotry, Bigot.

December 13, 2011 at 11:46 am | Reply
    • Tia O.

"people like this", "TRASH"? who, exactly, are you referring to? gamers? or maybe it's just that your post is so ignorant it fails to make any real point other than highlighting your bigotry.

December 13, 2011 at 11:55 am | Reply
      • Mastodonrocks

Probably this, for the win.

December 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  26. sh

Video Games = the new opium.

Don't get me wrong, video games are ok – in moderation. How many college students have dropped out because they don't know moderation.

These are games, and don't contribute to the actual "life experience". Ok, fine to get together with some friends and play video games for a couple of hours once in a while. Anything more than 1-2 hrs a week is an absolute waste – and one can argue that is too much. We all desire some leisure time, but too much of anything good is not good.

December 13, 2011 at 11:16 am | Reply
    • dan

1-2 hours? Really? How much time to you sit on the couch watching BS on TV huh?

December 13, 2011 at 11:34 am | Reply
    • Joseph

Wow you must lead a mundane existence. Too much of a good thing is even better.

December 13, 2011 at 11:37 am | Reply
    • absolutezero

Is that to say that other media does not contribute to "life experience" either? Books, Movies, any other media you can get yourself involved in. Yes I do play games, but I plays games for entertainment value as well as the stories and escape they allow. This is much the same as movies and books. There are studies being conducted that video games are a good tool for young people (pre-K) to learn the difference between right and wrong.

December 13, 2011 at 11:42 am | Reply
      • Rob

Hahaha, right or wrong? "ok its wrong to kill these guys, but its okay to kill those guys." Who are you trying to convince? playing video games ours a day is the same amount of waste as playing monopoly for hours a day, There are vast amounts of activities that will actually give you something in return. like learning to playing an instrument, exercise or learning a new discipline.

December 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
      • DoodleBug

Rob your not understanding. In many online games (MMORPGS) there is a social structure at work. I have began at the budding of many new game openings and it is amazing to see. You slowly watch merchandizing beginning (a strong foundation), where rules on home grown regarding pricing, returns, etc.. You watch the stronger players form types of policing, such as using their cool factor to tell pups that what they are doing is not going to be tolerated, and they press that point. You slowly watch the clicks form, the serious, the fun loving the stuck ups. But here, the rules are formed and set by the players, not by IRL .... anything. That is the beauty of it. In many of the games I play, our guildies talk to each other – asking about homework, school and such. They compare grades, classes and such. Honestly, other countries are pretty strict and it has ways of ... moving over here. In the game I work with the shy and those that need help with confidence. And sure its virtual but there are real people behind those screens. We all share the love of the game, and the fun we have. Most things we enjoy can be come an addition, and TV – any type of journalism can be violent. But you have a right to your opinion as do I.

December 13, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
      • absolutezero

@Rob

I'm not trying to convince anyone, because anyone with half an iota of common sense can figure out what I'm trying to convey. I will run with your little comment though. Sure some games do glorify violence, I'll agree, but not all. Not most even. However, just like the "real world" all you hear about is the Call or Duty franchise or Battlefield franchise because they know people feed off of that negative media. It is the same as a news report; so-in-so shot so-in-so in a robbery, or this corrupt politician blah blah blah. We never hear about the charity work, or scientific advances made by people.

With that said show me a person that plays a game like Mass Effect or Skyrim and does not pick up on some lesson/feedback, that you seem to think is only expressed in the talents you listed. If you can, then I will show you a person that is wasting their time, sure. But, you can play an instrument, or sport/exercise for 24 hours straight and not glean a damn thing from it. Its all what you make of it. And guess what, you sitting here trolling the comment boards is more useless than any video game I ever played. Way to go, now you wasted my time and yours.

December 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
      • Serous?????

I bet all but ROB are single!!! LOL

December 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • moderation

I have to agree with sh. If your activities negatively affect your life or those around you, you have a problem. Some people get absorbed into their games and they do flunk out or neglect their kids, spouse, pets or job. It isn't just games, either. Anything that results in neglect is a problem. Some games are ok along with everything else and yes, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Free pizza every day = fat. Win the lottery usually = broke in a few years and broken personal relationships. Most people can't handle abundance.

December 13, 2011 at 12:07 pm | Reply
  27. Brian

Send more teeth first.

December 13, 2011 at 11:14 am | Reply
    • AJ

Classy response.

December 13, 2011 at 11:26 am | Reply
    • shootmyownfood

In some cultures, front teeth are removed as a sign of beauty. Have you check to see if that is the case here? Do you know? Do you even want to know, or would you rather continue lame attempts at humor.

December 13, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  28. Truepython

Come on people...This is not even a news or a story to tell on CNN.

December 13, 2011 at 11:07 am | Reply
    • z

This is a positive human interest story. It is fantastic when an underdog receives an opportunity. Good news is nice to read.

December 13, 2011 at 11:14 am | Reply
      • bear0402

Agreed. Nothing wrong with w feel good story. Enough with the doom and gloom economy, and the political stories of politicians selling their souls to satan.

December 13, 2011 at 11:23 am |
  29. AndreaM

I love all the haters in here, like because he's from a tribal village somehow he should legally be limited to a stick or rock to have fun. The desire to play and have fun is part of being human, actually, it's pretty common across all mammals. Just because he lives in the bush doesn't mean he should spend 100% of his waking hours working. I think it's awesome that he was able to at least bring a cell phone into his village (bringing them technology, hey look it's the whole overlying point of the article!) and travel to a new place to expand his horizons.

December 13, 2011 at 11:06 am | Reply
    • Brad

Most of these video game bashers are just upset they either can't afford the game, or are to uncordinated to play. Maybe they are upset because they found out they were to stupid to solve the puzzles in the game. However, getting slobering drunk and watching football with equaly slobering drunk friends is good wholesome solization. Leave it to a jock to dumb everything down.

December 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Reply
  30. Mike

Video games are a waste of time, but very fun.

December 13, 2011 at 11:02 am | Reply
    • bear0402

You couldn't be more wrong. Video games improve hand-eye coordination. I have physician friends who set aside an hour or two per day, and have said they noticed, especially during longer surgeries that they are able to concentrate better, and experience reduced hand fatigue.

December 13, 2011 at 11:25 am | Reply
      • Harry Z

I agree with bear but if my hobby is playing sports rather than games i'd rather play sports. good for coordination AND health. Video games are bad for eyes, wastes time (but fun of course), and are more likely to distract people than sports, because its right there on/next to your desk.

December 13, 2011 at 11:46 am |
  31. Joe T.

I play video games but I look at people like my brother who play them constantly and all I can think is "Man, if you put half the effort and time into working on your employment situation as you do on video games, maybe you wouldn't be a fry cook your entire life." Video games are great and all but some people just spend way too much time on them. I don't even play games like Call of Duty online because you get these people who spend every waking hour playing. How can a guy with a full-time job and a life compete with that?

December 13, 2011 at 11:01 am | Reply
    • mike

you can compete with that by not sucking at games......

December 13, 2011 at 11:12 am | Reply
      • Joe T.

No I mean, how can an actual life compete with someone who has nothing better to do than sit on a computer or on his tv all day? I would hardly say that I suck at video games. I used to play Battlefield 2 pretty regularly and I was quite good at that game. I just started playing Battlefield 3 and I'm decent enough at it.

Those people that sit there all day and play video games have an edge because they know where all of the spawn points and camping spots are, they have all the upgraded weapons and of course, the more you play something the better you will become.

I have never played World of Warcraft but I imagine it's the same there. Those who play it all day are at an advantage and it doesn't make it that much fun to just pick up and play.

December 13, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • AndreaM

My fiancee seems to do it just fine. He works a good full time job then comes home and leads another life of whatever sort he feels like. Sometimes he likes to beat headcrabs into a pulp, sometimes he sneaks around and robs people blind, other times he battles his way across foreign lands. I don't mind it at all, it makes him happy and keeps him out of the kitchen so I can make dinner without tripping over him! Sometimes I even join in the fun. We have each others backs blowing up zombies and help each other figure out puzzles. Fighting the evils of the world and working together to solve problems, sounds like the base of a healthy marriage to me!

December 13, 2011 at 11:12 am | Reply
      • bear0402

Agreed AndreaM. I work a full time job as a Project Manager, play video games from time to time, umpire men's and women's softball, snowmobile, spend time with my family, workout at the local gym....You get the picture. You can play games and still have a social and family life. Not all of us play these things from sun up to sun down.

December 13, 2011 at 11:30 am |
      • DoodleBug

You know, I had no idea how much I once sat and watched TV and ate-ate-ate. I started playing online games and actually spent a good amount of time researching game resources. That is gear, information on refines, equipment etc... I really loved this part. Over time I found I never watched TV anymore and instead get my news online. I started reading the Art of War, because someone in the game mentioned it is great for understanding the foundations of strategy in war (there are types of castle sieges in most online games). And I found myself reading not only the Art of War, but other related books. Some how, sure – I spend a few hours playing the game, no hours watching TV anymore and I read more.... alot more. Interesting how things turned out.

December 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • tiggermom

My ex husband is now my ex husband because he did not want to participate in his family, including getting and keeping a job because all he wanted to do was play games on the computer. He would be up all night playing and then sleep all day while I worked and took care of the kids and the house. He is currently homeless, but still has a laptop that he can use at a bookstore to keep playing his games. Too sad. I know they are fun, but there has to be a balance.

December 13, 2011 at 11:47 am | Reply
  32. Ed

Very sad that the bushmen have become a kitsch thing now...they have existed for eons on what we would call nothing and now video games are what they are told they want. You really should examine what exposure to western culture has done to the !San people...it's really pathetic. Just like the proverbial Coke bottle, they now desire all the things we have and the negative aspects are multiplied because they are leaping hundreds of thousands of years in months...very sad

December 13, 2011 at 11:01 am | Reply
    • Brian

It appears that you are so incredibly gifted in your ability to evaluate civilization and extract the aspects that are important versus those that are not. What makes you believe that ability is unavailable to their people and why? I find it a bit offensive that you assume only simple people can live simple lifestyles.

December 13, 2011 at 11:29 am | Reply
  33. V. P.

Pics like this anger me! Did the jounalist do this on purpose to make black people look even worse they potray us to be as is?? I know that he could have and should have taken this pic with his MOUTH CLOSED!

December 13, 2011 at 11:01 am | Reply
    • Clyde M

Yeah...if you are already a bigot, maybe this plays into that stereotype, but to me he looks genuinely happy. Why pose him in a fake smile, when you can show his real one? Because it makes V.P. uncomfortable? Screw that.

December 13, 2011 at 11:06 am | Reply
  34. slaverybuster

Cut the Cord between You and the corporate empire,

Stop buying the garbage the corporates are pushing,

Start Growing, Making, Sharing Repairing, and Recycling, and

Watch the Parasites Shrivel!

December 13, 2011 at 10:55 am | Reply
    • Sarcasmo

He won't get this message because he probably doesn't have the internet.

December 13, 2011 at 11:00 am | Reply
  35. blaqb0x

I bet there was a story like this about a china man and phonograph about 100 years ago.

December 13, 2011 at 10:43 am | Reply
    • shootmyownfood

Dresden china? Or perhaps you mean "Chinese."

December 13, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  36. Leggs

Very cool... Nice to see little things like this happen often. Kudos to him, and good luck!

December 13, 2011 at 10:40 am | Reply
  37. Astou

Why is this a story? It's a shame...

December 13, 2011 at 10:36 am | Reply
    • Paul

The Kardashians haven't done anything today, or Snookie, or any of the other highly newsworthy topics Americans love. BTW, what's happening on Dancing With The Stars?

December 13, 2011 at 10:42 am | Reply
    • Kyser

Technically he's a Champion, Huzzah! welcome to Gaming Cwi, now you need to start learning the slang and how to troll people with stupid meme's as such, "I used to play in gaming tournaments.....but then I took an Arrow to the knee."

December 13, 2011 at 10:50 am | Reply
    • RMCK

when did we completely stop caring about others? sad when we can't be happy for the good fortune of someone we've never met ... sad when we can't see past our own reality to appreciate grace and beauty in another ... John D. Sutter can, and others can as well – that's why this story was written .... thank you John.

December 13, 2011 at 10:53 am | Reply
  38. Eddie

What is it with CNN? Owned by dentists or what?

December 13, 2011 at 10:34 am | Reply
    • Clyde M

Way to welcome him to the technologically advanced world–with insult and derision. Proud of yourself for that one?

December 13, 2011 at 10:44 am | Reply
      • Paul R.

Watch out, people! We have a morally superior person here! Everyone, quick, bow down!

December 13, 2011 at 11:29 am |
      • Daiva

Specialists say that aid a lot of people to live the way they want, just beaucse they can feel free to buy needed goods. Moreover, banks offer sba loan for different persons.

September 24, 2012 at 2:38 am |
  39. Frank

LOL "maybe next time i will be the winner" - yeah right! Being a successful progamer takes HOURS of constant practice, daily. It's great that he participated, though. Gaming is awesome.

December 13, 2011 at 10:29 am | Reply
    • Chris R

programmer != gamer. Thanks for playing though.

December 13, 2011 at 11:19 am | Reply
      • Frank

I said PROGAMER, as in PRO GAMER, idiot :)

December 13, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
      • I can read

Pro-Gamer != Programmer

Learn to read

December 13, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  40. waterman

Cool. Good for him and Namibia!

December 13, 2011 at 10:29 am | Reply
  41. Jake Rockwel

How about getting them food, medication and education first. They they can worrk about video games.

December 13, 2011 at 10:28 am | Reply
    • Degenerate

Video games aren't all fun and ... well, games. Sick of people talking about them like they are only useful for mindless entertainment. You can teach anything with a video game, and you can do it more effectively and on a larger scale than you can with a classroom.

Keep living in the 20th century though, I guess.

December 13, 2011 at 10:35 am | Reply
      • Easy E

Complete nonsense.

I'd love to see you try and teach physics with a video game. It's actually a lot more fun and memorable to do a demonstration in the REAL WORLD. Video games by their nature force the user to repsond to stimuli in a rapid fire fashion. Most real education requires concentration, analysis and deep thought, not something that is facilitated by a video game.

December 13, 2011 at 10:44 am |
      • Clyde M

Amen!

December 13, 2011 at 10:45 am |
      • JeramieH

Hey EasyE, the 1980s want you back. It appears you left your stereotyping brush back there. I'm sorry you haven't noticed what's happened in the past 30 years, maybe you can catch up this week.

December 13, 2011 at 10:48 am |
      • Clyde M

@Easy E – You might want to catch up on the literature on gaming in education. First, not all games are as you describe and it is simply ignorance to claim such a thing. Second, there have been several studies on games in the elementary market that have shown increased retention of information as well as greater levels of success and comfort in manipulating that information in real world settings.

December 13, 2011 at 10:50 am |
      • Easy E

Jeramie:

What does acknowldeging reality have to do with the 1980's? It is 'retro' to fill your life with healthy diversions rather than being a slack jawed ape staring at a screen and shooting at imaginary 'bad guys'?

Sorry to disappoint you but just because you are in love with your addiction doesn ot mean it is justified. You think sports and video games are equivalent, but video games aren't going to improve your cardiovascualr health, and they sure won't improve your ability in the sack, but perhaps you aren't interested in that, why waste time on that when you could be playing some f tard video game.

December 13, 2011 at 10:56 am |
      • Duh

@Easy E: How about gamers solving protein folding problems that eluded scientists for decades? Ever follow the science news much?

December 13, 2011 at 10:57 am |
      • Sarcasmo

I learned a lot about physics in Half Life 2.

December 13, 2011 at 11:03 am |
      • absolutezero

I am a teacher (physics/chemistry), and an avid gamer. I have to say that games have greatly developed over the years. They include great things like physics engines (that are inline with Newtonian physics) and real world problems, portrayed in a digital setting. There are many great resources out there for learned all different types of concepts (studyisland.com = state standardized assessment practice) Games are a very viable source for education. Now don't get me wrong I try to get at least one lab/demo in a week because of the "hands on" application, but it is unjustified to stated that video games are a useless educational media.

December 13, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • Paul

How about letting them decide for themselves what they want

December 13, 2011 at 10:38 am | Reply

Silly dunce! Why do you assume he can't provide food for himself?

December 13, 2011 at 11:58 am | Reply
  42. Degenerate

I'm a video game developer, so I'm really getting a kick out of these replies.

Video games are a legitimate form of entertainment and electronic literature. They aren't ever going away. Sorry, Jim-Bob.

December 13, 2011 at 10:27 am | Reply
    • conrad

Just another drug that wastes lives.

December 13, 2011 at 10:36 am | Reply
      • Degenerate

Like television, or religion, or money?

Define "waste."

December 13, 2011 at 10:38 am |
      • Paul

Well said Degenerate, wel said...

December 13, 2011 at 10:40 am |
      • Easy E

Degenerate: those are other drugs too, just like video games. Congratulations, you've actually cracked the code and figured out they all play a role in societal dysfunction.

December 13, 2011 at 10:40 am |
      • JeramieH

Like books, movies, sports, games, and any other leisure activity ever invented.

December 13, 2011 at 10:45 am |
      • Easy E

Jeramie:

Books and sports improve your mind and concentration. Neither one is purely 'leisure'. Movies and video games do nothing to improve your life or your health. So no, they are not equivalent at all.

December 13, 2011 at 10:49 am |
      • Kyser

Easy E, somehow just based on your name choice I cannot take you seriously......something invokes thought's of NWA reading a book and rapping about it. Books and Sports are alright, but coining gaming in the realm of mindless is like judging a book by it's cover.

December 13, 2011 at 10:56 am |
      • AndreaM

Oh, I wouldn't say games waste lives. We're always trying to get our kids to be creative and think outside the box and open world RPGs really do that. Heck, we wouldn't have the current "then I took an arrow to the knee" meme if someone hadn't taken their bow, aimed weird on a lark and fired for fun just to see what they'd hit. For problem solving and creative thinking, there's nothing like a good puzzle game. So much so that my fiancee and I agree that when we have kids and they reach a reasonable age, we're going to teach them to play the Portal games. If those don't make you think, I don't know what does!

December 13, 2011 at 10:59 am |
      • Hello?

"those are other drugs too, just like video games"

@Easy E: You meant drugs like the CNN board that sucked you into incessant and brainless commenting?

December 13, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • ghaleon

I was a game developer, then I took an arrow in the knee.

December 13, 2011 at 10:47 am | Reply
      • akita

Skyrim Rules!

December 13, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  43. A_Pirates_Life_4_Me

Maybe he can help develop a Somali Pirate video game. Where you have to board ships and take them hostage, but also aviod being captured or shot by US Navy Snipers

December 13, 2011 at 10:11 am | Reply
    • Hmmm

Wow – bigot

December 13, 2011 at 10:14 am | Reply
      • Take It Easy

How does that make him a bigot? so touchy....just a game.

December 13, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • Selmers

But funny! LOL

December 13, 2011 at 10:24 am | Reply
    • conrad

He's from Namibia ...

December 13, 2011 at 10:37 am | Reply
    • RMCK

All the mockers that I've met for stories like this have never set foot in his country, or any other like it. Video games are a "right" to them instead of a privilege. Spend a week helping out in a country like his (there's countless opportunities to help) – the perspective earned will be more profitable than you could ever know. Or you could just keep playing video games ...

December 13, 2011 at 10:45 am | Reply
    • Coexist

He is from Namibia not Somalia. How about we ascribe something Venezuelan to you just because you live in continental America.....

December 13, 2011 at 10:49 am | Reply
    • Clyde M

Yeah...because Namibia and Somalia are just interchangeable African countries (with 4000 miles between them) with no distinguishing features, cultures, or social situations. Do you enjoy being an ignorant bigot or does it just kind of happen?

December 13, 2011 at 10:53 am | Reply
  44. George

Everyone on earth has the equal opportunity to waste their life. Congrats, great story.

December 13, 2011 at 10:03 am | Reply
    • csam18

Waste according to you. Let others live.

December 13, 2011 at 10:20 am | Reply
    • Clyde M

Thank you for determining how others should spend their time for them. Life is so much easier with George telling us what is or is not worthwhile...

When did everyone get so judge-y of others?

December 13, 2011 at 10:55 am | Reply
  45. Love the story

Every once in a while one of CNN's many pointless stories makes you smile. Just as Cwi Nqani said in the article: Africa needs jobs.

December 13, 2011 at 10:00 am | Reply
    • Selmers

Africa needs more devistating disease

December 13, 2011 at 10:25 am | Reply
      • Matt

And you need to learn how to spell

December 13, 2011 at 10:29 am |
      • airlordz

You are a sad sad person and hopefully you get the diseases. Try and learn how to spell too.

December 13, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • wubby77

they also need a dental plan to go along with those jobs

December 13, 2011 at 10:34 am | Reply
  46. Anthony

Pretty cool. :)

December 13, 2011 at 9:54 am | Reply
  47. johnharry

did he return the coke bottle ?

December 13, 2011 at 9:51 am | Reply
    • Bella

Lmao, I remember that movie.

December 13, 2011 at 10:05 am | Reply
    • .

LOL

December 13, 2011 at 10:06 am | Reply
    • NNC

That's HILARIOUS!!! I haven't seen those in a while...

December 13, 2011 at 10:25 am | Reply
  48. U.S.Army-OverLord

If you don't like video games why comment on a game story?!? Great for him. I love battlefield 3 myself it's the most realistic combat game I've ever played. I love the vehicle battles.

December 13, 2011 at 9:51 am | Reply
    • Ur-a-dope

Get a life. Real life beats the h ell out of a sims existence.

December 13, 2011 at 10:00 am | Reply
      • You're a dope

I'd take a bet that even though I turn on a game every now & then I have 100 times the life as half the hillbilly idiots that say "that stuff rots your brain cells"

December 13, 2011 at 10:04 am |
      • neuroperson

Um.. speaking as a recovering rock musician with plenty of "experience", I'd have to say dont knock it till you've tried it. The best and most creative minds on the planet right now are producing IE (Interactive entertainment). There is some mind blowing stuff out there.

December 13, 2011 at 10:08 am |
      • Take It Easy

Ur really a dope.

December 13, 2011 at 10:41 am |
      • JeramieH

Because mankind has never played games or had leisure activities before video games. Board games, sports, reading books, watching plays and movies, listening to music... and playing video games.

December 13, 2011 at 10:44 am |
      • BGMchocolate

Sure, real life is fun and all. However, real life doesn't have re-spawn points!

December 13, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  49. Missing the point

Look past the physical face and get the point. If Africa is ever going compete with the rest of the world then their technology needs to be upgraded.

December 13, 2011 at 9:49 am | Reply
  50. hmmm

running water, no. food, nah. clothing, nope. video games, YEA!!!

December 13, 2011 at 9:48 am | Reply
  51. ok johnny

I wish all men were that handsome.

December 13, 2011 at 9:47 am | Reply
  52. Lee

I love this guy's spirit! He is really just humble and loving and enjoying this whole thing. It goes to show how being rich is not connected with being happy.

December 13, 2011 at 9:43 am | Reply
    • Winston

You got it wrong. It simply shows how being poor is not connected with being unhappy.

December 13, 2011 at 10:29 am | Reply
  53. Gerry Bishop

Its nice South Korea and Samsung helped this man out, and also showed him around Busan. I was once stationed in South Korea. Korea is a wonderful country. I wish countries like Nambia, and others in the continent of Africa had more hard industrial infrstructure. It takes the modern world to not only give, but to educate and inspire. Merry Christmas!

December 13, 2011 at 9:43 am | Reply
  54. CJ

Looks like no matter a man's position on this Earth, he is only concerned about playing silly games. WOW! This is pointless.

December 13, 2011 at 9:40 am | Reply
    • get a life

grow up and get a life little kid

December 13, 2011 at 9:43 am | Reply
    • BethTX

Maybe that's why he's in the position in life to begin with?

December 13, 2011 at 9:51 am | Reply
      • JTC

Yes, genius, I'm *certain* playing video games is what put him in the middle of Somalia. It isn't like he spent his life looking for these games; this is entirely new to him. You know, sort of like critical thinking skills are for you.

December 13, 2011 at 10:51 am |
      • JTC

Namibia, not Somalia, my bad.

December 13, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • thewhitedevil

do they not have joy where youre from?
      theres always suicide /wrists

December 13, 2011 at 10:01 am | Reply
    • Scott

He lives in a thatched hut. What do want from him?

December 13, 2011 at 10:03 am | Reply
    • Clyde M

Congratulations on seeing what you wanted to see and taking the exact opposite message away from the story as was likely intended.

December 13, 2011 at 10:56 am | Reply
    • DoodleBug

CJ you miss the point of a game. A game tests your critical thinking skills and reaction times. When it is an online game with many others, then your social skills come into play.

December 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Reply
  55. J0nx

Busted grill.

December 13, 2011 at 9:40 am | Reply
    • Mr. Sarcasm

Really? I don't see it.

December 13, 2011 at 9:48 am | Reply
    • Francisco

Caesar L#1 Everyone is not altruistic. Most mroehts can pay a lot tuition fee for their children but can not donate 100 dollars for other children. It's the natural character of human, everyone is selfish. There are poor and rich all over the world, and the poor people dont get a lot donation. It's a capotalism society, and people get money by their own job. The rich people always dream they can have better life even they live really good. So greed is limitless. It makes people can not be altruistic.#2 People should think of the reasons when they help others. There is a story from Janpanese cartoon. A young clever monk named Yixiu. He was a kind person who really liked to help others. One day a lot poor people came to the temple, and they are very hungry. Yixiu felt they were pitiful, and made Baozei for them. They ate and leave the temple. Yixiu's master was also a nice elder monk, but he is angry and told Yixiu he shouldn't do that. The reason is help is just for a short time, and people live on the world must by themselves. Poor people can work hard to improve their leaves. So when helping others, we must think if we should do that. The helping maybe bad for the others.

September 24, 2012 at 4:27 am | Reply
  56. Bob

Nice dental hygiene...

December 13, 2011 at 9:39 am | Reply
    • Captain Obvious

Yes, sir.

December 13, 2011 at 9:46 am | Reply
  57. ohplease

Good lord, why CNN is showing this imbecile?! What's wrong with you, people?!

December 13, 2011 at 9:38 am | Reply
    • Kay

You are imbecile in your brain. How could you say that about another human being? If you were lucky enough to be born here in the US there are billions who did not get the same chance, so it is not you the civilized it is a mere random chance that you have straight teeth. A weird way God works I guess.

December 13, 2011 at 9:48 am | Reply
      • Ernest

Agree with Kay. This guy may not really be a gamer, but his innocence to technology and view for betterment of his people, not just through harder labor, but also for relaxation makes him a top human being in my book.

December 13, 2011 at 9:53 am |
    • gix

Imbecile? I bet you he has better survival skills than you! If you switch roles with him I don't think you will survive in a day where he lives...

December 13, 2011 at 10:28 am | Reply
    • tluv00

That imbecile managed to get a free cell phone, solar charger, trip to Korea and a front page story on CNN all while living in a hut in the middle of nowhere and surviving for as long as he has. It also sounds like he has learned a little English on the side while hunting for food and surviving on nothing all of his life.

Besides if you don't like the article stop reading it. You have the ability to look away.

December 13, 2011 at 11:34 am | Reply
      • DoodleBug

I remember reading another article on why the cell phones are so important – they use these for selling/buying and keeping "in the know".

December 13, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  58. jeff

I'm sorry, but "gaming" and "elite" should never appear in the same sentence, much less a headline

December 13, 2011 at 9:29 am | Reply
    • Remeber this day

In 10 years when the industry becomes widely accepted as a form of public entertainment, Jeff will eat those words and spit out "Wow I was ignorant"

December 13, 2011 at 9:35 am | Reply
      • Writr

You act as if video games aren't already widely accepted as a form of public entertainment. While the Xbox and PS3 aren't exactly the most family-friendly systems (though the Kinect has certainly helped out the 360 in those regards), the Wii has definitely made gaming a more family-friendly past-time.

December 13, 2011 at 9:49 am |
      • Ernest

He is already ignorant. Considering the latest Modern Warfare surpassed the $1 billion in sales mark faster than Avatar did, it is easy to see that gaming is considerably an accepted medium worldwide, except to the troglodytes.

December 13, 2011 at 9:51 am |
    • Nonimus

Hmm... what an "elitist" att.itude.

December 13, 2011 at 9:45 am | Reply
    • Gerry Bishop

Modern Warefare 3 Elite

December 13, 2011 at 9:45 am | Reply
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

Video Gamer for LIFE ;)

December 13, 2011 at 9:53 am | Reply
    • Easy E

See what happens when you try and deny the Soma for the Delta minuses? Never get between an addict and their fix.

December 13, 2011 at 10:33 am | Reply
      • Humanitee

I don't think a soma holiday or vacation is analogous. The pharmaceutical companies a drug called Soma so that ones just come true....

December 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • JeramieH

Why not... have you heard the hyperbole used to describe football players? Same thing... their contribution to society is about as useful as playing video games.

December 13, 2011 at 10:41 am | Reply
      • oh ok JeramieH

You are ignorant, and a tool. l2p nub!

December 13, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • DeeNYC

but im sure your bowling league is elite right?

December 13, 2011 at 11:42 am | Reply