TV's next killer app: Weather
Comcast is testing a new version of its cable box, which has a weather app.
January 20th, 2012

TV's next killer app: Weather

By Mark Milian, CNN

(CNN) - Of all the digital bells and whistles that Comcast put into its next-generation cable box, executives were surprised about one hum-drum feature that was most popular during testing.

"They love being able to check the weather," Tom Blaxland, a senior director for the company's Xfinity TV digital platform, said in a recent interview. "That's actually the most popular app we have."

"They say it's amazing," he added.

Comcast assumed, understandably, that people testing its Xcalibur set-top box would be most taken by the Facebook integration or Pandora Internet radio. During the test run, which has included more than 1,000 homes in Augusta, Georgia, that has not been the case.

Perhaps, it turns out, the most obvious features can also be the most innovative, or at least the most demanded.

Xcalibur lets couch potatoes sign into their Facebook accounts and see which shows friends like to watch. This feature has not been widely adopted during the beta-test period, Blaxland said.

"People are not accustomed to signing into their TV," Blaxland said. However, people have asked, more than anything else, for the ability to create a list of favorite shows and receive an automated Facebook wall post shortly before an episode airs, he said.

The hype in the television industry is mostly centered around stuff that, on its face, sounds more innovative: voice commands similar to Apple's Siri; motion controls similar to Microsoft's Kinect; three-dimensional programming; and social networking.

Yet, testers of the new Comcast hardware are most eagerly pushing the dedicated weather button on the remote control to check their local forecast in the morning, Blaxland said.

They are less likely to navigate to the Weather Channel and wait for the program to get around to discussing their city, he said.

Other companies, too, have noticed this desire for easy access to weather forecasts. It is a main feature of Nintendo's Wii dashboard. On Boxee's TV platform, a weather icon is always present atop the navigation screens.

And even on the small screen, Apple added a local-weather widget to the iPhone, which can be activated with a swipe of the finger from any application, in the latest software version. When first demonstrating Siri on the iPhone 4S, Apple exec Scott Forstall dedicated a sizable chunk of the presentation to showing off all of the different ways to ask the virtual assistant if it was going to rain.

Post by:
Filed under: Innovation • Tech • TV
  1. In home personal training

Wow! Times have changed. Testers of the new Comcast hardware are most eagerly pushing the dedicated weather button on the remote control to check their local forecast in the morning,then navigate to the Weather Channel and wait for the program to get around to discussing their city.
    I usually just ask Siri, She loves me.:)

April 22, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Reply
  2. All Weather Television

Outdoor televisions are a good bargain for people interested in watching TV at almost every point of time. But before investing in an all weather television, interested customers should also look at available outdoor v enclosure present in the market

All Weather Television

December 3, 2013 at 8:59 am | Reply
  3. longchamp bags on sale

TV's next killer app: Weather – What's Next – CNN.com Blogs longchamp bags on sale http://www.durhamlp.org/

July 27, 2013 at 3:23 am | Reply
  4. Sandi Danielski

Cable television is a system of distributing television programs to subscribers via radio frequency (RF) signals transmitted through coaxial cables or light pulses through fiber-optic cables. This contrasts with traditional broadcast television (terrestrial television) in which the television signal is transmitted over the air by radio waves and received by a television antenna attached to the television. FM radio programming, high-speed Internet, telephone service, and similar non-television services may also be provided through these cables...

Most interesting article on our very own web site
    <http://www.caramoanpackage.com

April 27, 2013 at 11:15 am | Reply
  5. ofertas gran bahia principe coba

It's really a nice and useful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

March 16, 2013 at 11:39 am | Reply
  6. deal hot

hello!,I really like your writing so much! share we communicate extra approximately your post on AOL? I require a specialist in this space to solve my problem. Maybe that's you! Taking a look ahead to peer you.

November 11, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  7. affiliat marketing

Thank you for any other informative web site. Where else may I get that kind of info written in such an ideal manner? I have a challenge that I am just now operating on, and I've been at the look out for such info.

July 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Reply
  8. derpina rage comics

I'm not positive the place you are getting your info, but great topic. I must spend some time learning more or working out more. Thanks for excellent info I used to be looking for this information for my mission.

July 8, 2012 at 7:11 am | Reply
  9. dow jones

I do not even understand how I finished up right here, but I believed this publish was great. I do not recognize who you might be but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you are not already. Cheers!

May 29, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Reply
  10. urine test

A person essentially assist to make critically posts I'd state. This is the first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual put up amazing. Magnificent task!

April 18, 2012 at 6:30 am | Reply
  11. NFA Gun Trust

This was a somewhat interesting article. I wonder just how many individuals will put this quality information to make use of it. Thanks.

April 15, 2012 at 10:39 am | Reply
  12. how much is my car worth

Hello there, I found your web site by means of Google at the same time as searching for a comparable subject, your website came up, it appears great. I have added to favourites|added to bookmarks.

April 15, 2012 at 8:13 am | Reply
  13. mitsubishi automotive

You know therefore significantly in relation to this matter, produced me personally consider it from numerous various angles. Its like men and women aren't interested except it's something to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your individual stuffs great. At all times maintain it up!

April 4, 2012 at 7:05 am | Reply
  14. Emirhan

tagal nako sa ceaclentlr, at eto perception ko sa mga banyaga.Indian di marunong makinigAmericans walang pasensiyaAustralians mga boboCanadians nakakainis ang pagiging niceKiwis really really friendly

February 19, 2012 at 5:53 am | Reply
  15. Gaston Lefarge

In France they mainly talk about how old is Charles Aznavour, and if so is he older than Tony Bennett, if not why? It's frowned upon to discuss the weather especially if you are with English people. Aznavour of course was already old when he made Tirez sur le Pianiste so God alone knows how old he is now, if at all. Tony Bennet, of course, wasn't in Tirez sur le Pianiste, though I remember the weather as being quite good in that most of the time, that's my mother's influence.

January 23, 2012 at 6:46 am | Reply
  16. HATECOMCAST

As a former employee of 10+ years all i have to say COMCAST sucks!!!, they claim to have the most HD, they only have like 30 HD channels and some in "ondemand". what a rip!!, they suck!, I have FIOS!!!, fiber to your house, not to your street!!, average customer load per NODE is 350 customers!!!, FIOS is ONE!!! YOU!!!, if you are in the Boston area, RCN has 250 max per node, but they designed it to have about 100 per node!, what does that all mean, you say!, more bandwith for you, no INTERNET LIMITS of 250GB!!, oh fudge, COMCAST JUST SUCKS!!

January 23, 2012 at 2:47 am | Reply
  17. Gaston Lefarge

I'm English(on my mother's side) so as you know, we only ever talk about the weather: my phone has an app that tells me the weather in any city in the world for the whole upcoming week. This gives me something to talk about for pretty well the whole day. I dint know anyone over the age of 14 who knows what Facebook is, but they tend not to talk about the weather, because they think it's naff. Mystery is what do they talk about?

January 22, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Reply
  18. HUMANTESTANIMAL TOYOU

NEW http://notethicsbutbutchery.blogspot.com/ NEW http://notethicsbutbutchery.blogspot.com/ NEW http://notethicsbutbutchery.blogspot.com/ NEW http://notethicsbutbutchery.blogspot.com/

VISIT ALL NEW HUMAN EXPERIMENTATIONS IN 2012 http://notethicsbutbutchery.blogspot.com/ LEARN WHO(and why) IS DELIBERATELY TARGETING YOU WITH MIND CONTROL WEAPONS WHILE TURNING IN MINDLESS PROTESTERS

MAKE SURE TO KEEP DOORS LOCKED AND SECURE, SO YOU WON'T HAVE TO WAKE UP WITH HOLES AND WIRES IN YOUR HEAD AS EARLY AS NEXT WEEK(technology have advanced, but not for your sake) !!

January 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Reply
  19. TH

Comcast is that far behind? No wonder their nickname is Comcrap.

I have a button on my cable box remote to show the weather and traffic report since early 2006 when I switched to FiOS. It's also integrated with Facebook and Twitter for those who can't get away from all those networking sites. There's YouTube too. There're also games, although the lag is too much to be enjoyable.

January 22, 2012 at 10:22 am | Reply
  20. qrposterboard

A traffic status with live cams would also be. Wry usefull on your TV. http://qrposterboard.com

January 21, 2012 at 8:00 am | Reply
  21. phishkiss

Lol, allright, companys really need to understand, MOST americans are are average to above intelligence, MOST americans blend in the crowds and dont draw attention to themselves with crazy or stupid antics, MOST americans make up most core audiences but don't voice any strong opinions either way and are ignored by producers and advertisers. Listen I love my friends to death, Im with them if they lose a family member, ill help them move, ill listen to their stories with interest if they want to tell me, but I could give a rats @#$ about what tv shows they watch. Honestly? Seriously? They really really realllly thought that would be a widely used feature? Most people are not that nosy, but the normal non flamboyant reliable weather app, like most americans, I can use.

January 20, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Reply
    • XO

Most Americans are intelligent when it comes to being lazy.

January 20, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Reply
      • Phishkiss

Herp Derp.......

January 21, 2012 at 3:30 am |
    • Paul

By definition, 50% of Americans are above average intelligence and 50% are of below average intelligence. – That is the definition of the mean value (or to use your terminology – average value). Sheesh – American education sucks.

January 23, 2012 at 10:28 am | Reply
  22. Liz1388

Doesn't surprise me. I hate having to wait for the weather channel to get around to local weather every 8 minutes. I recall my aunt's cable TV system in FL back in the 90s had a dedicated channel just for the basic weather info. Thought it was a no-brainer, useful idea.

January 20, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Reply
    • Scruff

How about you just look outside! If you are wondering what the weather will be like for an upcoming trip, you certainly can wait until the news comes on. Heavans forbid you just go to the weather channel...

January 21, 2012 at 2:53 am | Reply
  23. Mark Dupoise

This is NO surprise to anyone who owns a European vehicle. All European vehicles have a button that allows instant access to Weather Band! The US tried to make this mandatory too but the automakers balked at it for cost. When are Americans going to realize that safety is paramount above inconvienence?

January 20, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Reply
    • blaqb0x

NEVER!

January 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Reply
      • Vitalik

2011 Long-Range Weather Forecast for South Orange, New Jersey. Complete 2011 Long-Range Weather Forecast for the Atlantic Corridor Region, November 2010 to October 2011 inudcles week-by-week details. ..

February 21, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Poipounder

Being an existing customer Comcasticxfinity will not help me out getting a new box. They only like their new customers. Which means I have to quit their services and reapply and get on a contract before they will do anything.

January 20, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Reply
  25. GME

Its about time they get weather. Frontier has Widgets and has had them since Frontier was Verizon FiOs in my area at least 6 years ago. They haven't done much to them as time has gone on which is a shame, but weather was the most used one in my parent's house until I moved out for college/real life (moved to Comcast-only area whereas my parents live in a Frontier vs. Comcast area)

January 20, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Reply
  26. JeramieH

My cable box will integrate with Facebook? Words fail me.

January 20, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Reply
    • Indeed

It's important that I be able to pause during a movie to find out who went to the bathroom during the last half hour.

January 20, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Reply
    • Noran

I celmletopy agree! I always say it is worth spending a few hours per week trying to figure out how to do the job smarter.

February 20, 2012 at 1:42 am | Reply
    • Bill

National Weather Forecast – whtaeer.com. The Weather Channel provides a national whtaeer forecast, . With the only above average temperatures from south Jersey to southeast Virginia, ..Weather Information for the Greater Philadelphia and South Jersey Area. Weather Information for the Greater Philadelphia and South Jersey Area. Your guide to local area whtaeer forecasts, emergency preparedness, ..Mount Holly, South Jersey Regional Airport, Weather Forecast .... WeatherForYou.com serves Mount Holly, South Jersey Regional Airport, with complete and accurate local whtaeer information. Forecasts, current conditions ..DuxPond.com Weather. Since 1996 whtaeer.DuxPond.com has been Southern New Jersey's source for Weather Radars, . Listen to the National Weather Forecast for South Jersey ..What's the alternative to fix this fiasco (as I call it)?Phillywhtaeer.net: The Delaware Valley's Weather Center. 3 days ago . Philadelphia Weather provides whtaeer coverage available for Philadelphia, Southeast Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. Forecasts, whtaeer analysis, and coverage of other events is . Today will be a warm day as temperatures run into the upper 80's, perhaps flirting with 90 south of town. ..

February 21, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Reply
  27. Emma - Chicago

Comcast, “SMART TV” means more peering into our privacy. No thanks. I use TVDevo "dot com" which has been out for a couple years. No ads and No privacy peering issues.. Don’t trust this new breed of smart tv providers. They store all of your activity forever and will soon know more about you than you do about yourself.

January 20, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Reply
    • doofus

man, i can smell that paranoa through the monitor

January 20, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Reply
    • Burbank

Good! Then maybe they will notice how the same annoying commercial (Aamco is the absolute worst offender with adults making very loud, obnoxious and extremely annoying middle schooler noises) over and over and over every night makes me immediately switch channels or hit the mute button to get away from it.

It might cause these advertisers to get rid of offensive commercials when they finally realize what kind of impact it's really having on their intended audience. The focus group folks that say they liked these ads weren't forced to hear them at least 50 times a week, every week, month after month.

January 20, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Reply