February 13th, 2012

Love doesn't have to stink

By Joshua Belsky, CNN

(CNN) - I'm not one to ever quote the J. Geils Band, but this time of year it's difficult for me, when considering Valentine's Day, not to hear the title track from their 1980 album Love Stinks (yeah yeah) in my head.

Before you classify me as one of those jaded anti-V-day celebrators let me assure you I am not – but I do believe that this time of year, love stinks (yeah yeah).

I don't blame Cupid for the offending aroma, I blame most Valentine's Day perfume sales - or at least I used to until I met Christopher Brosius, founder of CB I Hate Perfume in Brooklyn, New York.

Christopher Brosius was our second agent-of-change profiled on CNN's The Next List and his being a self-taught perfumer (he talks about the good and bad of that in the video above) in an industry where people are rarely, if ever, self-taught was just part of the reason he made the list.

Creating hyper-real scents was the other reason. Christopher takes the more heavy, over-the-top floral and fruity smells out of perfume and makes scents like My Birthday Cake, Burning Leaves, Books in a Library and Soaked Earth that smell so real they are practically injected with our own memories of the sources from which they come.

At the Beach 1966 transported me to the shore's of New Jersey's Long Beach Island where sun, surf, sand and Coppertone converged on summer family vacations. Walking in the Air captures that crisp fresh smell of new fallen snow and had me thinking about walks home from Jefferson Elementary School on a winter's day, homemade toll-house cookies waiting for me courtesy of mom. As Christopher say,s "pretty is nice but real is beautiful."

Not every connection to Christopher's scents are as personal, but all are very real and intensely familiar and that's what makes shopping in his gallery unlike other perfume purchasing experiences. It certainly changed my view of buying fragrances as gifts (btw Christopher has an untraditional gift buying policy that you much watch him explain for himself in the video above). I'd bet even the J. Geils Band would change their tune (yeah yeah).

Please Follow us, Like us, and check out our photos!

Post by:
Filed under: Innovation • The Next List • Video
  1. isabella

I'm trying to find out what the most popular blogs are when it comes to news and views and cell phone stuff..

May 10, 2014 at 11:17 pm | Reply
  2. Gregory L. McPartlin

This is what is NEXT! Parjana is changing the world forever! Parjana's DrainAge technology is a limitless game changing / world changing technology! It forever changes the human population, the food supply and the water supply. It is tested and proven and the inventor is on a quest for the Noble Prize! Watch the link below and visit our site at http://www.parjana.com

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGmHkfkF4NY&w=640&h=390]

June 28, 2012 at 10:44 am | Reply
  3. What are the best~top~most successful~genuine WSO deals

I do accept as true with all of the concepts you have offered for your post. They are very convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too short for starters. May you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

June 3, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Reply
  4. Ditha

Thanks, Justin, for plugging a few holes in my gnlwoedke of posting a WSO. Much appreciated. I now need a detailed step-by-step video guide on using WSO Pro, including steps that show the integration with PayPal and the rest for my WSO launch next week!Current WSOs on the subject each leave out something which is taken for granted by the marketer but which puzzle those of us new to posting WSOs!Still looking for the definitive and detailed video tutorial on posting WSOs using WSO Pro, PayPal, DL Guard.

March 20, 2012 at 1:07 am | Reply
  5. Melissa K

I visited CBIHP a month ago after seeing the show. The perfumes are A-MA-ZING!

February 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Reply
    • Mahmud

Hey Curtis, thanks for the email and the ivtnie to drop by. I just read your post. It's true, business does require and investment, but if I can add to your comment about that requirement, I'd just like to offer your readers a little insight about cash, investments and leverage. If you want to be successful in business, you need to leverage 3 things. Time, money, and people. Now, of course, money is the absolute necessity for leveraging people in order to leverage time, but, cash is not the only kind of money, or currency there is.Assets, are money. They can be sold for cash, bartered for other products or services, used as collateral for cash, and more. There is a key factor in recognizing the assets that equate the value of money.If people looked more closely at what assets' they already have, coming up with the investments' needed is only a matter of leveraging those assets.What are assets? Sites with high traffic, or income, that could be sold for the cash. Or could be used to sell ad space to someone else for cash. Resources, all those PLR and MRR products sitting on people's hard drives! Those are assets. Skills. The ability to write articles, make graphics, build sites, install scripts these are all assets. They can be turned into cash, bartered, and leveraged too.There's all the investment you need to invest in your business.

April 30, 2012 at 10:06 am | Reply
  6. Grant Peterson

Haven't thought about J. Geils in years. iTunes here I come!!

February 17, 2012 at 10:42 am | Reply
  7. urmomlol

Does this smell like chloroform to you?

February 14, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Reply