February 21st, 2012

Yves Behar: 'Great design is something that everyone can have'

Even if you've never heard his name, chances are you've come across one of Yves Behar’s extraordinary designs. Maybe you've jammed on some tunes using the sleek-looking wireless speaker Jambox. That's one of Behar's designs which, by the way, was just nominated for 2012’s Designs of the Year Product Award. Or maybe you've take a spin on his “local bike”, designed says Behar, for a “new generation” of bicycle riders, who want to transport their kids and groceries near home. If not you must have seen photographs of children using the iconic green $100 XO laptop. The One Laptop per Child XO (OLPC) Laptop was founded by MIT Media Lab’s Nicholas Negroponte, who worked with Behar, and his San Francisco design firm Fuseproject to make a low-cost laptop specifically for children in developing countries. More than 2.4 million children in 25 countries received the XO Laptop. And now after six years of collaboration with Negroponte, Behar designed the next generation XO-3, the gorgeous laptop in tablet form.

Behar has taken design to a whole new level by devoting a good part of his business to the non-profit world. He says, "Design must tap into the giving element of our profession. It must be deeply in-tune with the needs to create a sustainable future, deeply connected with emotional needs, and deeply self-expressive.”

After dozens of profit-making ventures, Yves and his team devote 10 to 30% of their work every year, and countless hours of their own time, to pro- bono projects like the OLPC laptop. “There is no reason why design can’t be attainable. Great design is something that everyone can have,” says Behar. And after the success of the XO Laptop and tablet, Behar and Fuseproject collaborated with the Mexican Government to design low-cost eyeglasses for children. The “See Better to Learn Better” program provides poor children with free eye exams, and adorable, brightly-colored (and unbreakable) specs, delivered right to their schools. Hundreds of thousands of children are sporting these specs. The kids even get to pick their own frame and color combinations!!

Tune into The Next List on CNN 2 p.m. ET on Sunday to see the full 30-minute profile of design hero Yves Behar.

Please Follow us, Like us, and check out our photos!

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Design • Innovation • Social change • Tech • The Next List • Video
  1. scir91onYouTube

how many times are you going to show the stupid cnn next list logo?

April 2, 2012 at 11:25 am | Reply
  2. justicefor7

URGENT – Please read more about VERIZON. Things they don't want the public to know! I was tormented by racial comments that were ignored, then racially discriminated against and wrongfully terminated for making complaints about the racial injustice.

Please visit my Blog Page to see what Verizon did to my family. What they have done to my family, and continue to do is horrific. Today they still will not accept responsibility. So I will not stop this FIGHT for JUSTICE! It has been 8 years and I refuse to give up, but I need your help to spread my message.

You can read my stories about what VERIZON did to my family by GOOGLING:
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Cover Letter”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Press Release”
    • “Verizon Raped My Family – Requesting Criminal Punishment”

From there you can access the other letters through the recent post.

I am a man who has stood up against racism, discrimination, bullying, harassment, hostile environment, belittlement, threats, and retaliation, all while working for Verizon Communications, as they conspired to terminate me.

I am a man who is trying to hold his family together while in the process of trying to fight for my rights to be heard. I am a man who has brought up his family on morals, discipline, character, hard work, dedication and conviction to believe that good things happen to good people. I am a man who could not be more proud of my family for all their trust and faith in my conviction. I am man who is a proud servant in my community and deserves to be heard, as I am begging for JUSTICE!

Neal W. Dias

March 3, 2012 at 11:49 am | Reply
    • JLR

crazy much?

March 31, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  3. CurtisTheGeek

Flash required....really, it's 2012!

February 28, 2012 at 11:42 am | Reply
  4. michael eldridge

out standing individual a real american who cares i would vote him for president in a minuet a dooer not a talker

February 26, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Reply
  5. marcos anthony toledo

How much does Yves Behar four wheel bicycle cost and where can I buy it. How far can I go around a city or out in the country with it. Looks great and simple to use how many speeds does it have transport and exercise combine great.

February 26, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Reply
  6. Debbie

I agree with Jude... How can kids right here in US that are low income benefit from this company? If they can, how and where can I go to get more information?

February 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  7. saltizio

Where are Yves products manufactured?

February 26, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  8. mikey2ct

What is more important to me gentlemen is whether and when this laptop is going to be available for OUR children and grandchildren. PJ: you exemplify what is wrong with this market-driven economy.

February 26, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Reply
  9. Jude

Wonderful to help those needy around the world – but there are many- many here in the USA in the lowest middle income bracket that cannot afford unbreakable glasses for their children or even think about a compuiter when food on the table is much needed. Yes they have jobs – probably more than one and pay taxes; but fall through the cracks of programs that aide the poor. How can they benefit from this company???

February 26, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  10. Lt.Surge

"Great design isn't just for the elite"....

But it sure helps if you are.

February 25, 2012 at 7:50 am | Reply
  11. andreedfutral

Your Auto Insurer hates this. You can get Car Insurance for even $9 check "Clearance Auto" learn the secrets of auto insurance industry and save money

February 23, 2012 at 5:13 am | Reply
  12. Adrian

I wonder how many times they can put "The Next List" into one video before someone goes insane.

February 22, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Reply
    • Joaquin M

I know i must have seen that next flip book thing 20 times. yaakkk
      And is this a comercial for yves or for the next kid laptop. not sure

February 22, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Reply
  13. MeMc

Yeah,@ PJ. The rotary phone was a moneymaker for decades. No inovation. Point disproved.
    If a computer can be had for less than a textbook, then why not make it available to societies that don't have access to education.
    think of the possibilities.

February 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Reply
  14. Conor HEaly

Am so glad to hear of the 2.4 children that you have provided with laptops.

February 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Reply
    • Johnson

Sorry Conor,
      The article reads "2.4 million children", not 2.4 children.

February 24, 2012 at 10:41 am | Reply
  15. PJ

Is it a money maker? If its not a money maker who needs it? Market driven products drive innovation, this thing is about as dumb an idea as I have ever seen.

February 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  16. Jiggajon

"2.4 children in more than 25 countries"? So 2 kids and a infant traveled a lot with laptops in tow?

February 22, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Reply