February 24th, 2012

Yves Behar: Good design 'accelerates the future'

By Yves Behar, Special to CNN

Editor's Note: Yves Behar is a designer, entrepreneur and founder of the firm Fuseproject. One of the most influential designers in the world, he's know for designing the $100 laptop as part of Nicholas Negroponte’s One Laptop Per Child project. He's also Chief Creative Officer of the wearable technology company Jawbone. Behar will be featured on CNN's The Next List on Sunday at 2 p.m. ET.

(CNN) - Why Design?

Having one foot in design, and the other in sustainable and social projects, I hear this question quite often: “Why does the world need another chair?” My answer is that the world needs another chair/bicycle/car or any new product for that matter, like the world needs another book. The human and environmental factors of today are changing, and just like books that reflect our psyche, products need to evolve to reflect our needs.

The next 20 years will see a radical change in the way that everything is made, shipped and consumed. Sustainability will be a key driver, but another is how companies relate to their customers through social and environmental leadership. Finally, the experience of any product or service will need to be delightful, attainable, and intelligent. Design is a big part of this holistic approach: How things are made, how things interact with the world, how things delight is at the core of what designers do.

I am passionate about what design can do - how far it can support the new ideas and the new ways of living of this 21st Century. Good design accelerates this exciting future where manufacturing is local, materials and processes are cradle to cradle, business models are both socially and financially driven.I truly believe that everything Sci-fi taught me as a child about an efficient and wondrous world will be happening in my lifetime.

The work ahead is both humbling and full of promise. Let’s get to it.

Please Follow us, Like us, and check out our photos!

Post by:
Filed under: Design • Innovation • The Next List • Video
  1. Ramona Keilty

As with all species, cats have requirements for specific dietary nutrients. Certain nutrients, including many vitamins and amino acids, are degraded by the temperatures, pressures and chemical treatments used during manufacture, and hence must be added after manufacture to avoid nutritional deficiency..

Our own internet site
    <http://www.caramoan.co

April 27, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Reply
  2. chata

We stumbled ended at this time by a different net speak to and thought I ought to ensure possessions outdated. I approximating what I spot thus i am just next you. Glance to the fore to free ended your web page repeatedly. chata http://www.budowlane.webege.com

February 11, 2013 at 7:11 am | Reply
  3. icons pack

Where you so for a long time were gone?

November 1, 2012 at 11:28 pm | Reply
  4. Noel Edmonds

I simply could not leave your site before suggesting that I really loved the usual information an individual provide to your visitors? Is going to be again continuously in order to check up on new posts

May 16, 2012 at 12:32 am | Reply
  5. funniest videos

Heya i'm for the primary time here. I came across this board and I find It really helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to present one thing back and help others such as you aided me.

April 7, 2012 at 7:14 am | Reply
  6. Jessica

Heyy. The rules are simple.1) Has to flloow the pattern and format of a limerick.2) Try you best3) There is no limit of how many you can have4) Has to be your own (Orignal) and you can't steal any of them from other ppl.5) The format:Lines 1,2, and 5 have to rhymeand LINES 3, and 4 have to rhyme. And a limerick only has 5 lines!GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!! THE BEST WINS 10 Points!!!!I SWEAR I WON'T!!!!! I PROMISE!!. i just want ideas to make my own. I need help and if i get ideas then i will pick the best answer and make my own!

March 19, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Reply
  7. pat

Listen, CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME. PROVIDE COMPUTERS FOR THE MANY POOR KIDS IN AMERICA, "BEFORE" GOING TO FOREIGN COUNTRY

February 26, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Reply
  8. whybs

Yves Behar is just a Steve Jobs wannabe. And it's not even close.

February 25, 2012 at 11:55 am | Reply
  9. AlCourts

February 25, 2012 at 11:50 am | Reply
  10. UtahProf

Having waited for months and frustrated myself to the point of suicide (figuratively) trying to deal with the "One Laptop" people (we were trying to buy 100,000 of them for school research in Kentucky), When I finally managed to get a production model, it was junk. Absolute junk. Useless. And that is my perspective as a design engineer (I am currently Chief Engineering Officer at a small tech company). The tragedy was that it was just poor design – meaning, it could have been done differently and the product would have been quite good. It would be a dark day in hell before I even bothered to look at something this person designed and certainly the day after the end of the world before I would buy something. This is a great example of people falling in love with someone's unproven legend ...in this case, the Emperor is naked (hopefully you are familiar with the Hans Christian Anderson story and will understand).

February 25, 2012 at 11:50 am | Reply
  11. ArtBrit

the jambox has to be one of the best ipod accessories ever made. cool to see the face who made it

February 25, 2012 at 11:47 am | Reply
  12. DinPA

I thought salesman were B.S. artists. Now I can group some designers and critics together with salesman. Necessary, but full of schitt

February 25, 2012 at 11:14 am | Reply
  13. Mougwa

First thing first, i would say get rid of those cheap tires she has (shinko's) on the bike.

February 25, 2012 at 10:58 am | Reply
  14. slupdawg

So now he's designing......ugly-ass bikes?

February 25, 2012 at 10:27 am | Reply
  15. Chauvenist

Who is this broad?

February 25, 2012 at 10:25 am | Reply
  16. Jim J

How about designing something that doesn't suck?

February 25, 2012 at 9:55 am | Reply
  17. Tim

Design is the key to great art. It is an elusive and difficult process. I am an Artist Blacksmith. If I make an art object whether it is a gate for a home or a table and it has a bad design. It doesn't matter how well I make it. If it is a bad design, then it is simply a really well made piece of crap.

February 25, 2012 at 8:31 am | Reply
  18. Roland

My name is Yves Behar. Designer, Surfer, father and all around piiiiiiaamp

February 25, 2012 at 8:31 am | Reply
  19. woodrow

The video worked for me. Now the video didn't seem to say anything. It was an advertisement for this designer.

February 25, 2012 at 6:59 am | Reply
  20. Lt.Surge

My cat smells like cat food.

February 25, 2012 at 6:46 am | Reply
  21. John

Video worked fine for me. Funny. When things go wrong, people always point their fingers somewhere else. It didn't work on your computer, so there must be no other possible explanation other than it must be a problem with CNN. Big fat fail? Look in the mirror, Chris.

February 25, 2012 at 6:06 am | Reply
    • ccarracing

Funny, there was not near so much anger in post from Chris as in John's, that's what I got from this article.

February 25, 2012 at 8:10 am | Reply
      • Taciana

When you say tgnihs like Evolution says tgnihs just randomly popped into existence or Evolutionists think it's all just a big accident , don't you understand that you are describing not SCIENTISTS' view of evolution, but your OWN? No scientist says It all just happen by accident and such rot. It's easy to create a parody of somebody's actual position, make it look ridiculous, and then claim you have demolished their position. It's much harder to do the actual work of first UNDERSTANDING the other guy's point of view and THEN critiquing it. I have yet to see a Creationist write anything that shows he or she actually comprehends the theory well enough to be qualified to rebut it. When you attack straw dogs like Evolutionists say it's all random and we got here by accident , don't you see you just make YOURSELVES look ignorant?

March 17, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Isaac

What a great website! I just want to make sure I'm earding the chart correctly so I sign up for the right color. I am in Greenville/Spartanburg area of SC. I believe I am in the Green which would be May 6th??

March 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Reply
      • Morino

You say hackers but you acaltluy mean spammers, right? No transactional activity occurs in your forum area, so there's nothing there to hack. Spammers, on the other hand, love spreading their nonsense all over public forums. There are plenty of proprietary programs (meaning F+W might have to spend a few bucks) to thwart the spammers, so I would recommend you take that route quick, easy and relatively painless.

September 26, 2012 at 1:25 am |
  22. Chris

What's ironic here is most of CNN's videos work fine for me, yet I come to watch a video about "technology" and the video won't play. lol I hope Yves BeHar isn't as big of a fail as CNN's video system.

February 25, 2012 at 4:53 am | Reply