Do we really need digitally enhanced Google glasses?
This parody video imagines ads that could show up on Google's digital glasses.
April 5th, 2012

Do we really need digitally enhanced Google glasses?

By John D. Sutter, CNN

(CNN) - Google on Wednesday unveiled something really future-y: Glasses that display digital info on top of the real world.

The prototype glasses project all kinds of information - walking directions, instant messages, phone calls, weather info, calendar reminders and the location of your friends - on the world all around you.

That probably sounds pretty bizarre. So, first, check out Google's vision of how this will look:

And then you really must watch this parody video, from Tom Scott. In it, he imagines all of the pitfalls of this information-is-floating-all-around-you future. Namely, it might make you run into things and send accidental messages:

Here's another dystopian view of Google's "Terminator" glasses - one in which ads appear everywhere (via The Atlantic):

What do you think? Is this something you would want to buy? Or is it an example of a tech company trying to push an idea that doesn't (yet) have popular support?

For balance, here's how The Week describes the benefits of this augmented reality tech:

The applications could be endless: putting on your glasses in the morning as you eat breakfast, your map tells you there is heavy traffic on the route to work. On the drive to the office you pass a Starbucks and a Special Offer on coffee pops up on your screen. In the office, you frame people in your screen and Google+ them to see their profiles. All the while the earphones pipe through your favourite music, only pausing to allow a steady stream of phone calls, targeted adverts and sponsored messages.

And here's what Scott, creator of that first video where people keep falling down, said about the technology in an e-mail conversation with me:

The Google Glass project looks absolutely amazing. I've wanted something like it for ages  – the “names and faces” part of my brain has never really worked properly, so I’d happily outsource that to face recognition software! There's a long way to go between what we've got now, and what's seen in the mock-up video, though.

As for what prompted me to make it: I saw an easy joke that no-one else had done yet! There's rarely a deeper meaning to the things I put together; and besides, people walking into poles is always funny.

Tell us what you think in the comments.

Post by:
Filed under: Design • Fashion • Future • Innovation • Internet • Tech
  1. Guest

Google is just teasing the public. At this time, there're many other issues/problems regarding this concpet to be actually fully come to reality. It's just a tease right now..so cool down people.

April 7, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Reply
  2. Jason Glugla

Do people really need a new version of the Ipad or Phone every few months? I think not, but that won't stop them from lining up for it.

April 7, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Reply
  3. Prime Mover

I'm super excited about this. There's definitely ways they could screw it up, as shown in those videos, but I believe that Google will do it right. I haven't experienced ads that were *too* intrusive from Google yet, and they know enough to test it to make sure you can still see where you're going. I don't think they'll be perfect, but I think they'll be cool.

April 7, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Reply
  4. Robyn

The Google glass is more than half fool.

April 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Reply
  5. kyazze andrew

Thousands out here dont know how to use a computer it will still be to those who have its knowledge.
    can u imagine thousands of university students in AFRICA dnt know about face book?

April 7, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  6. joe rice

radiation from these glasses = brain tumors will be commonplace

April 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Reply
  7. kyazze andrew

its too good to 1st world countries here we seem not to use them they will always be show bees. to illitrates

April 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Reply
  8. Dj

Do you really need SIRI? no but people were praising the hell out of it and how it was the closest thing to an AI even cnn was reporting about this feature every week but now google comes out with something superior and it not need it and all you hear its a bunch of negativity.

April 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Reply
  9. Armani

well i like this idea i will get it as soon as it comes out. its kinda like a smart phone you know use it wisely, dont use it while ur walking down street, just like you shouldnt text while walking down street. but one improvement they can do is make the ads, words or whatevere the hell you see in it, see thru. like sonys see thru lcd display. well thats all i got to say. nice idea. i guess we really are projecting into the future.

April 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Reply
  10. Dan'l

There is a tremendous possibility to use these to help deaf people. Converting sounds around them into visual annunciators could be a lifesaver, as well as help the deaf in interacting with hearing - speecch to text, etc.

April 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Reply
    • Stepfanie Z

I agree with you. I am fluent in ASL and my teacher was deaf and his whole family was and told us about all of these issues they deal with on a daily basis. They eventually learn how to cope as they grow but for the younger children and young adults that is an amazing idea. I do believe you have a nice point of view :)

April 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Reply
      • Dan'l

Thanks for your thoughts. If you'll touch base with me at djpompea@gmail.com, maybe we could collaborate. I've always been interested in applying technology to help the deaf and blind.

April 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  11. Don

With every leap forward in computer technology, I am reminded of perhaps the finest science fiction short story every written: Isaac Asimov's "The Last Question". http://bachiller.sabuco.com/ingles/eloy/1bach/last_question.pdf

April 7, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  12. brentradio

The first person I see wearing these glasses I'm going to run over with my car and tell the officer that the person walked right in front of me while checking his facebook page...

April 7, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Reply
  13. Ben

Why the negativity? I didn't see it mention anywhere one would be forced at gunpoint to buy these. I also agree the spin would be very different if it were an apple development.

April 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Reply
    • Syphor

Negativity is "cooler" to attention seekers. I like the concept, and no matter what negative comments are here I guarantee if they become reality the mass majority will eat it up. I also don't think you'd see a single ad because if Google is researching this idea you can bet others (Apple) are researching as well integration to not be annoying or obtrusive would be the biggest selling point for the design.

April 7, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Reply
  14. sgs

You know, all of you complaining about how unnecessary this is, or how intrusive it is realize that you sound like crotchety old people afraid of technology, right?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I mean, there's still some old folks around who still refuse to get an internet connection. Also, you guys are in the minority, so it's not like corporations are going to listen to you and say "oh ok i guess we shouldnt do this :(" Feel free to hate new tech, it'll still keep marching along with no way for you to stop it :)

April 7, 2012 at 11:59 am | Reply
  15. us1776

Technology would never move forward if companies didn't try new things.

Kudos to Google.

April 7, 2012 at 11:42 am | Reply
  16. steven harnack

Great! Even MORE camouflage for all of the schizophrenics among us. Aren't there enough people walking around seemingly talking to themselves?

April 7, 2012 at 11:38 am | Reply
    • tokencode

A friend of mine plays a game called "Crazy or Bluetooth" where you have to choose whether the person talking to themselves is either insane or on a bletooth headset...

April 7, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Reply
    • Irene

What I feel for you is so much not even scientists can caltulace. Not even hormones can induce. Not even fireworks can symbolize. Not even this blog entry can give justice to.waahh, nakakaloka..youre so sweet..he is so so lucky to have you..

August 22, 2012 at 12:28 am | Reply
  17. mbane

If this was an Apple invention, CNN would be all over it and praising it as if it was the second coming.

April 7, 2012 at 11:24 am | Reply
    • metekamil

Well, they did just show it off on TV! So I'd have to disagree. They gave it a lot of praise...

April 7, 2012 at 11:28 am | Reply
    • steven harnack

And people like you would be bashing it. There's a yang for every yin.

April 7, 2012 at 11:40 am | Reply
      • metekamil

Didn't know I was bashing it. But otherwise, yep, I agree.

April 7, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
      • Samet

Thanks for your remarks thgouh.The client-timeout errors are caused by the timeout (60seconds in your case) set on the httperf command line. You can make most of these go away by increasing the timeout, but it is interesting to see the difference between all the frameworks. I am not really sure what causes the connection reset errors.I am still planning to post an update to this benchmark, but i will need some extra machines for that.ps, I am curious how the maximum / optimum request rates of both machines differ.

August 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
  18. metekamil

This is all possible. But hard to believe the clarity would be anything like the quality of this video or that today's phone network could give such a good coverage and bandwidth for a pleasant experience depicted here. Not trying to be negative, just realistic. Also where does the battery go?, I'd imagine a cable running down from ear area to a pocket battery? :)

At least we're on the right track though! :)
    Mete

April 7, 2012 at 11:14 am | Reply
  19. Domino

This is intrusion Hell. I want my devices to integrate seamlessly and without intrusion by the advertisers. Frack the business mongers. This is not Minority Report.

April 7, 2012 at 10:36 am | Reply
    • metekamil

Yeah I can imagine trying to talk to someone and getting pop up ads from Google Adsense lol...or while driving :)

Mete

April 7, 2012 at 11:16 am | Reply
  20. Ed

Dork Goggles.

These glasses are going to have all sorts of amazing implications in various industries, from healthcare to warfare. As someone mentioned above, they'll be a huge help to people with disabilities, both physical or mental. This is pretty amazing technology, and it is likely to be adopted in tons of places very soon.

I'm just not sold on the idea of the average person wearing them regularly for personal use, in the way we all use smartphones today. This seems obnoxious and intrusive... and dorky. I don't need my tech augmenting my reality any more than it already is. There's something to be said for seeing things as they really are. I'm sure there's no stopping this though. No one wants to be the grump who just refuses to get a cell phone.

Does this remind anyone else of VH1's Pop-Up Video?

April 7, 2012 at 9:33 am | Reply
  21. Vasco

Truth is, I see a lot of people on these comments bashing the technology. The same people who, I bet, if it were an apple product would be drooling over it, excited, and praising another perfect innovation made by Apple. Ticket price? Doesn't matter because its an Apple product and you must have it.

April 7, 2012 at 9:28 am | Reply
    • Domino

Wrong dumb dumb. It is about loss of privacy to benefit capitalists looking to get your money.

April 7, 2012 at 10:38 am | Reply
  22. Sarah

If these were called iGlasses, there would be hundreds of thousands sleeping in front on the store waiting to be the first to "drink the coolaid" when the store opened.

April 7, 2012 at 8:54 am | Reply
    • Vasco

Absolutely agree, just posted about that, didn't see your post.

April 7, 2012 at 9:28 am | Reply
    • Amy Z

First of all, Sarah, it's Kool-Aid.....and, btw, no one ever drank poisoined Kool-Aid. In Jonestown they drank Flavor Aid. Nothing worse than people who can't get their facts right. And another thing, if it were an Apple product (the ad does seem very Apple-like) you would probably be one of the first to hate it. Grow up and get educated. Technology is technology.....but their is a BIG difference between Kool-Aid and FlavorAid!!!!!

April 7, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Reply
      • Dj

The ad seems very apple like? how so?

April 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  23. jonny

It needs to be more than an Android phone on your face. It needs to have a camera that will allow it to recognize places, faces and say... The parts inside your dishwasher when you take it apart. Currently, it's only a toy. Without all that recognition ability, it looks pretty useless.

April 7, 2012 at 7:53 am | Reply
    • DontBeGoogle

DO U WANT Ads on almost everything u see?
      If not , don't get the evil google glasses

April 7, 2012 at 9:27 am | Reply
    • Domino

Use any android phone with google maps and you become a remote sensor, ie, they know where you are and what you are doing at all times.

April 7, 2012 at 10:39 am | Reply
      • Dilson

Posted on Eisner awarding wnining comic-shop, Zeus Comics is in Dallas which may or may not be on your route.Though I think you've hit upon a fantastic idea something we maybe should talk about off-site.If I don't talk to you before hand, have a safe trip!

April 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  24. Schmedley

Of course we need these glasses! All the haters of accepting this new technology is simply because it doesn't have a piece of fruit stamped on the side of it. To all you Apple lemmings out there reading this, there are better devices out there. You should step outside of your bedroom with your tinfoil covered walls and learn to emprace your new leader Google!

April 7, 2012 at 7:24 am | Reply
    • ToothlessTick

If you're going to be a jerk, learn to spell.

April 7, 2012 at 10:05 am | Reply
  25. Fry

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

April 7, 2012 at 7:06 am | Reply
  26. tcat

I remember people asking the same question when internet was billed as long distance calling on your phone. Back then the question was "why would you pay all that money for internet when you have a perfectly good local library." When MP3 players replaced walkmen it was "who really needs a WHOLE gigabite of music" Lets face it, its coming and people are going to buy it.

April 7, 2012 at 6:59 am | Reply
  27. Mikey

We don't need this crap. Reality is already too real, why do I want more of it? Every hear of information overload? Just another tech toy to hawk to the masses of dumbed down people across the globe. I'm no Luddite by any means, but there is a such thing as too much and this is too much.

April 7, 2012 at 5:49 am | Reply
  28. free unlimited talk and text

Hey There. I found your weblog the use of msn. That is an extremely well written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your helpful info. Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

April 7, 2012 at 5:21 am | Reply
  29. Dave M.

Us geeks have been waiting for these for 15 years, it's about time! All those who scoff at these can't see the reality of the path man and machine are on and there's no stopping it. If the tech is really there then I think this will be the next step past the smart phone and iPad. I'm sure somebody is getting yelled at over at Apple.

April 7, 2012 at 3:18 am | Reply
  30. Darth Duwan

Yes I need it! I need to know my health and ammo! hahaha :D

April 7, 2012 at 2:31 am | Reply
  31. Joel

Does anyone else feel that the world would be a better place if WILL was Darwinized and he was removed from the worlds collective gene pool? I do.

Will, PLEASE, don't have kids.

April 7, 2012 at 1:48 am | Reply
  32. James Cruz

I would like to be included as a POC. The google goggles will be the way to improve productivity on both personal and business tasks.

April 7, 2012 at 1:46 am | Reply
    • Ruben

I see lines of idiots camping out in 2014 to buy a device originally designed in 1999 for people with visual or hearing impairment. Very appropriate.

April 7, 2012 at 9:36 am | Reply
  33. Adrian

They are cool, but it would probably cause more car accidents.

April 6, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Reply
  34. free strategy games

I do agree with all of the ideas you've offered on your post. They are really convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are too brief for beginners. Could you please prolong them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

April 6, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Reply
  35. BK

Do we really need smart phones? Do we really need half the things we have? No, but that doesn't stop us from wanting them if they're given cool names like "Augmented Reality".

April 6, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Reply
  36. Rob

I would love this product! I don't use a smartphone simply because it is so annoying to have to hold the stupid think while walking around – wearing the smart glasses, or having it as an "add-on" to prescription glasses would be a pretty sweet idea.

April 6, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Reply
    • Julia

hi palscan any of you help my son to buy your DVDs in Iran:( ???My son loves you all and all day long he repetas pococo pococo=)) and show me the player which means I play your movie for him but unfortunately I have to wait until the MBC4 channel puts you on the airhe is just 20 monthsWE LOVE YOU VERY MUCH also can any of you help us to creat you by mold or something????

May 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Reply
  37. wavejump1100

i dont think i could wear them. i am sure i would find them extremely annoying.

April 6, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Reply
  38. Luke

After getting the 3DS and expecting the AR games to be just another bad gimmick, I actually found some of them to be pretty interesting (actually, it's probably better than the 3D screen, since it won't give you a headache after 10 minutes), so yeah, I would totally buy these AS LONG AS I don't need to wear my prescription glasses under them. Also, some built-in earbuds connected to the glasses would be awesome. Long hair makes for epic stealth listening to music in gym class xD

April 6, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Reply
  39. ipad 3

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually understand what you're speaking about! Bookmarked. Please also seek advice from my website =). We may have a hyperlink change agreement between us

April 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  40. Johnson

These glasses will be of great value as instructional aids. Imagine a medical resident perfoming his/her first "solo" operation with the aid and extra eyes of a gifted and experienced surgeon to guide them along.

April 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Reply
    • The Lorax

Do you mean Kinect?

April 7, 2012 at 12:38 am | Reply
      • whodat587

Kinect=Failed technology that impresses soccer mom's and 12 year old children. These glasses are far more innovative and could be applied in astonishing ways never before seen. The Kinect is a one trick pony with laggy outdated motion detection. It is afflicted by light, dark, too much movement, too close, too far. It is only in the absolute optimum set up is it adequate at best. These glasses=game changing, fresh, new, and absolutely exciting. Kinect.... Something that was fun for about an hour and now it is a gimmicky camera that sits atop my television set and doing nothing other than collecting dust.

April 7, 2012 at 4:28 am |
      • The truth is...

Lol, really? So i guess you're saying you couldn't figure out why the demo disk for the kinect was bad and decided the device was a failure? The kinect is far from a failure and the technology is far from outdated. I'll bet you quit using your refrigerator because it was so passé.

April 7, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  41. Chris

I think it's funny how mad people are getting about this. It's not like these are going to come out and suddenly everyone will turn into soup brained morons (if they aren't already). How is it any worse than a smart phone or any other technology you can use on the go. If you hate the idea then you don't have to buy it. I will be wearing mine while I rear end your car, at least until they make it illegal to wear them while driving. For now, I don't see any reason to get so upset. I promise it will be okay.

April 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Reply
  42. Thtechnologist

We didn't need smartphones and tablets either, look at those now.

April 6, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Reply
  43. bob

Why do dumb people get fearful of glasses ? if everyone thought like the scared minions below, we would still be living in caves. I been waiting for glasses like this since i was a kid i think it is coming and will be really cool. If you think "glasses" are the end of the world go back and turn on your 32 inch crt tv and forget about it.

April 6, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Reply
    • Will

Can't wait for the smart folks like you to start buying these. It'll make people like you much easier to spot....and avoid. No one with a lick of sense would wear these things so buying a pair would in essence put a giant advertisement on your face that says "BIG DORK".

April 6, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Reply
      • Chris

I think you will be the one looking like a "big dork" when these come out and millions buy them. Based on the fact that I saw many posts from you on this page, I assume you are going to respond by saying that those millions of people are stupid and you are better. Let me assure you that you are the one being irrational by getting so upset about a technology still in beta testing. When these come out and the world ends you can say I told you so. But I assure you that is not going to be the case. RELAX!

April 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
      • Dj

Good im gonna make sure to get one as long as i can keep people like you away from me

April 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  44. Will

Come on people. GPS is bad enough. These things are horrible. Just how dependent do you want your brains to be on technological garbage? Is that the goal? To leave nothing left for your brain to do? Technology is turning people into idiots. I know someone who has lived in a new city for four years and can't drive around the block without her GPS because she has now wholly outsourced that part of her brain. Technology isn't making us better, faster, and smarter. It's making us dumber while making it easier to sell us a bunch of crap that we don't need or want. It's a good deal for marketers, not so good for the rest of us....

April 6, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Reply
    • Joel

"GPS is bad enough...."

First sentence of any of your posts I've read, so now, everything that comes after that sentence is suspect. You have got to be joking. Unless you're 90, and the automatic doors at the grocery store scare you..... if so, then I apologize. If you're not approaching the century mark, then, I feel bad for you.

Go ahead, unfold your map, crash, and die. The world would be better off. But before you do that, slip in an 8 Track, fluff your man perm, and make sure you carrying a bunch of change for the pay phone.

People like you make me sad for the world.....

April 7, 2012 at 1:42 am | Reply
    • Johan S

Every technology that man has ever invented has ended up being causing accidents, from the first guy who burnt himself with fire. Or the fool who didn't wear seatbelts on his chariot. Anyway, just because people like you don't know how to use technology in moderation and in the correct way doesn't mean that people who know how to use it responsibly shouldn't get it.

April 7, 2012 at 3:40 am | Reply
    • Dj

technology are turning people into idiots and yet you are using a computer and internet to read the news about technology to bash on it yes mr technology is bod for people but yet your using it so who's more of an idiot? people who accept technology and doesnt lie to themselves or you? dont answer i know what you are going to say. btw you are people you are using technology so with that you are an idiot as well, at least theres one thing we both agree on

April 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Reply
      • Pasquale

Ryan, for our family, the egmeerncy fund has been a life saver. We have used it to cover family emergencies, heater repair, air conditioner repair, insurance deductibles, and more. Even though it hasn’t been fun taking the money out and paying for the egmeerncy, it didn’t hurt us financially and I didn’t have to finance the charges on a credit card. An egmeerncy fund truly does turn a potential financial crisis into an inconvenience.

May 2, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Will

Holy. Effin. You know what. This is it. This is the BEGINNING OF THE APOCALYPSE. I can't imagine that there is even anyone on the planet who THINKS that these glasses would be a good idea. That there is even ONE PERSON (and apparently a whole company full of people) who thinks that these glasses would somehow be useful or helpful or good or beneficial or anything other than HORRIBLE FOR CIVILIZATION is incredibly scary to me. You do need to have a REAL interface with the REAL world. These glasses would spell an end to reality for anyone dumb enough to wear them. Luckily, I think most people wearing them would be killed by cross traffic while walking within the first 24 hours....

April 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Reply
    • bob

If you wear a tinfoil hat when you leave your cave, it protects you from the ill effects of the glasses

April 6, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Reply
      • Will

Bob, I will thoroughly enjoy watching people like you turn into puddles of brainless goo. Just please be sure to drive at least 300 feet away from me at all times...

April 6, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • Joel

This moron needs more than a tinfoil hat. He should be forced to wear a sign that warns people of his idiocy..... additionally, all access to the internet (which, with his obvious aversion to technology, I'm surprised he knows how to use it) should be revoked. And Will, to answer your question before you ask it, no, your computer screen IS NOT the work of the devil.

April 7, 2012 at 1:45 am | Reply
  46. Jack

Didnt Google release this video on April 1st?

April 6, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Reply
  47. chuckmanson

This is a great product. When I see a woman on the street, google glasses will tell me where she lives, where she works, and where she shops. This is great for stalking. If I need a wea pon right away, then I can search for the nearest shop. Pretty cool.

April 6, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Reply
    • Dj

you dont have to wait for the glasses to stalk people there is already an app for that and is exclusive for apple (well it got removed recently from the market but pretty sure you could still find it online) so if you have an apple product you are set to stalk girls.

April 7, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Reply
  48. Carey

Google demonstrated with "Street View" they have no concern for our privacy. Mark my words – Google will find a way to send the video feeds from these glasses back to Google, expanding their "Street View" to an even more intrusive technology. I predict they will broadcast the inside of your home and your private life for all the world to see – all without your permission.

April 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Reply
    • bob

You do know posting on a forum, everything is recorded if your so paranoid, your "post" your IP address which can lead them back to where you live. Your browser type, your OS

If you believe what you preach, HIDE and get rid of any internet

April 6, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Reply
      • Will

Well then the joke's on you. "They" will see your atrocious grammar and put you in remedial English classes....

April 6, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
  49. Ben

They've recently done this same thing with cars at one of the big recent auto shows. Cars with things popping up on the windshield as you drive past businesses and such.

I should start looking for a deuce-and-a-half, so I can survive the coming Carmageddon.

April 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Reply
  50. Lewis

"Do we really need digitally enhanced Google glasses?"

Try to hide your fanboyism, Mr. Sutter. Now, I ask you these questions: did the world really need an iPad? eReaders? Smartphones? Cellular phones? Cordless phones? HDTV? Color TV?

It might not be a technology that catches on, but the idea of it is brilliant. Embrace the idea. Just because Apple didn't prototype it doesn't mean that it's no good.

April 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Reply
  51. Mer

Singularity....it's coming.

April 6, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Reply
    • Thtechnologist

I think Kurzweil is spot on, and I think ti'll happen sooner than anyone thinks!

April 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Reply
  52. cnnlicksit

I'm gonna buy them and then get hit by a car and sue Google for millions.

April 6, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Reply
  53. fauxhawk70

If the glasses were fashionable and not to nerdy as well as being rigorously tested this product could indeed kill the iPhone! It would have to work properly and came in at a reasonable price!

These of course are bug "if's"!

April 6, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Reply
  54. Bart

Hmmmm thousands of people killed while idiots text and talk on their cell phones while driving. Now we'll have pedestrians walking around with these things on as well. Can hardly wait, though on the plus side its a great way to thin out the herd.

April 6, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Reply
    • Gregory Faith

That's FUNNY! But I wear glasses all the time and that technology is great. Thinning the heard is not a problem with me.

April 6, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Reply
  55. Isaac

I really like the idea of this technology. For myself I think there could be good uses, but besides the average consumer there is a lot of potential for niche markets. In particular I know my granfather likes to read but is frustrated in that he can't hold his reading material steady due to shaky hands. If this technology was integrated in a way were you could turn pages by pressing a button that would be huge for him. Another use might be live streaming while participating in an athletic event, could make some sports that aren't normally spectator sports available to a larger audience.

Hopefully this tech comes out well after cars are driving themselves though. I would hate to think someone is checking their e-mail or watching youtube while driving their truck down the highway.

April 6, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Reply
    • Will

You are a paid shill or completely nuts. In either case, GO AWAY.

April 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Reply
      • wanalawn

Looking all your post. Filled with hostility, and nonsense, you are the one that's nuts. You might want to get some therapy.

April 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  56. Matt

Sounds like Apple fan boys taking whacks at a promising technology still in development that can render their most beloved Apple devices such as the iPhone, iPod, and iPad as completely useless.

April 6, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Reply
    • Gregory Faith

Electronics Evolution...I've got probably thirty devices collecting dust in my office, house and garage. This thing is GREAT!

April 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Reply
    • Gregory Faith

April 6, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Reply
  57. xxd3v1l5xx

Ok really, the people reporting at CNN should jump off a building. I mean really.

You sit there and praise the ground Apple walks on with everything they do, which is spit shine the 4 year old garbage they shuffle out saying it's "new" and "innovative", yet when someone does something truly remarkable with technology we thought only existed in science fiction like augmented reality and all you have to say is "oh my god so many ads this is ridiculous why would you want such a thing."

Please CNN and half the people commenting, go fornicate yourself with a razor. While I update my Facebook status with my new glasses.

April 6, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Reply
    • Bob

xxd3v1l5xx – please refill your prescription...

April 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Reply
  58. Christopher Meyer

They're definitely not something people NEED, but a lot of people WANT them. That's the wonderful thing about our capitalist society: a company can create demand for an item. People didn't NEED iPods, but once Apple created them and marketed them people really wanted them. Now the iPod is the gold standard for MP3 players.

I probably won't be getting these Google glasses, but I'm all for Google developing them and marketing them. Who knows what other technologies or applications will grow from these?

April 6, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  59. T800

Sarah Connor?

April 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Reply
    • Fields

Keep looking, buddy.

April 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Reply
  60. J-Pap

I'd like to have seen guy say. Wanna see something cool, and huck them off the roof top. Anyone wearing these things is an idiot.

April 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  61. Ed

They'd pay for themselves the first time I talk to the ex and little "blah blah blah" graphics appear to be flying out of her mouth.

April 6, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Reply
    • dsbsky

Yea, that's what I want.. Ads flying in my line of sight, while I'm driving down the stree, every time I pass a restaurant, or any other place, that has ads.. Yea uhm....yeeaa... NO THANKS...

That's just more ways for gogle to force advertising in your face. Google, don't become a total sellout.. Your getting there.. When you get there, people will just find another tool and you'l loose the market..

April 6, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Reply
      • wanalawn

I have a phone. I use it for navigation texting, calling, scheduling etc.., and I don't see any ads.
        Why would this be different?

April 6, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
  62. t

I bet if they were called iGlasses, the headline would be different.

April 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Reply
    • Sam

Correct... :)

April 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Reply
    • J-Pap

Yet I think Apple is smart enough to not mess with glasses. Glasses are not cool right now, check the 3d tv market. No one wants them.

Conclusion: Google glasses-biggest flop

April 6, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Reply
      • nea kelley

are u kidding.. i would get them in a heart beat... the type of apps developed for it would be mind blowing... with it running andriod... the things that can be done with it would be limitless.. an example is a version that will alter the lense so that all you have to do is program your eye prescription into them.. no more coke bottle classes or contact lenses... night vision and virtual sun glasses.. ( u control the tint. ).. if you can not see all this coming.. then you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind.. Go google!!!

April 6, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • Bob

right – Apple and CNN – its all a conspiracy

April 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Reply
  63. 808roots

pshhh...duh

April 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Reply
  64. svann

Yea so you're driving down the road and you get a dozen popups trying to sell you stuff causing a crash. Not my fault!!!

April 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Reply
  65. Jony

This would be amazing, but how is the image being displayed? where is the processor? where is the battery?
    whatsnext

April 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Reply
    • Will

Yeah, this would be amazing......amazingly BAD...

April 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Reply
  66. J. Cox

In a few years, everyone would wear them, they would have a massive storage device and remind you where you placed your keys when you ask. It would be cool if when driving they could flag a car about to pull out in front of you or with voice recognition technology you could tell them to start you car. Just a thought.....

April 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Reply
    • nea kelley

the storage can be cloud based.. from what google indicated.. it would come in 3G or 4G versions..

April 6, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Reply
    • Will

Yeah, just like "everyone" is on Facebook. More than half of the country is not on Facebook. The smarter half....

April 6, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Reply
    • dave836

I can guarantee you me and all my friends won't wear them. Something about always being attached to technology grosses me out.

April 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Reply
  67. mortran@gmail.com

Reminds me of Kurzweil's predictions as we move closer to the technological singularity.

April 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Reply
  68. Aaron D.

I think these glasses are a great invention. I also look back when I was a kid and think how human interaction used to feel. Actually sitting down with friends and just talking rather than texting, tweeting, emailing, google+, facebook. I used to like people, now it seems all the people live in my smartphone and my tablet. How would today's generation stand it if they had to actually pick up a phone or go meet someone to have a conversation? I know it's an old fashioned thought, but at some level does anyone else miss actual human contact? (I know that my view is slightly over-exaggerated, but sometimes it's the feeling). Technology is our future, let's just not forget to actually shake hands, hug, or just smile at someone once in a while.

April 6, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Reply
    • Will

Actually, the vast majority of us are still doing that. Only giant dorks like you believe the marketing hype that you must pay a lot of money to interact with people in a totally ridiculous and alien way. Joke's on you. Just throw all your crap in the trash and come join us. Believe it or not we're over 90% of the country...

April 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Reply
  69. Neil

These glasses will make it possible to make apps that will be truly 3D, a whole new dimension.

April 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Reply
    • Will

Yeah, that is my fondest wish. Thank god it's finally happening. Yeah, 3D aps. Sounds super. Dude, you totally need to get laid....

April 6, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Reply
  70. bxgrrl

Good grief. It's bad enough navigating the walking texters.

April 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Reply
  71. alek

Of course we need these glasses. Just like we need smart phone. It's technology. it's a fun concept to think about. What is this??? How much did apple pay this time to write an anti google article??

April 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Reply
  72. Gambit

If you shoot someone, does +100 show up over their head?

April 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Reply
  73. Conrad Shull

Finally, a REALLY good reason to make fun of people with glasses.

April 6, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Reply
  74. kman

i can honestly see these within the next 3-4 years, i think the 3rd video is very accurate though

April 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Reply
  75. TSG

God I hope they've got a patent for it already. More than likely Apple will apply for it soon and then sue for infringement!!

April 6, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Reply
  76. Roger Monfreda

These would probably be great for para- and quadraplegics.

April 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Reply
  77. ericcamarillo

I think these seem ridiculous at first, but I've caught myself wishing I always had my To-Do List in front of me or that I could IM with people as I'm walking. With that said, I don't think we need them. But that's the same way we don't really need cars or planes or telephones. Devices like this create a need. I imagine one day our children will look back and wonder how people survived without digitally enhanced glasses.

April 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Reply
  78. Sarah

Yes. Yes we really do need these glasses. :D

April 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Reply
  79. bob doe

Great! More ways for Google to make more money by showing me "relevant" ads!

April 6, 2012 at 11:56 am | Reply
  80. Anonymous

Lol these glasses would also change what is considered proper etiquette drastically; Glasses might be considered iffy in normal conversations, for example, due to the fact that the person with glasses might be reading an article like this or watching a YouTube video while nodding in approval to what the other individual is saying. ...Or doing something even less appropriate!

April 6, 2012 at 11:46 am | Reply
  81. zaglossus

Could be helpful in certain types of jobs. But as a leisure time device, no way.

April 6, 2012 at 11:45 am | Reply
  82. George C. Scott

Oh course we do... The government has all the info already anyways and and swift illusion of privacy that many of you have is long gone. this is so useful, cool, incredible... Live improving... those who oppose... SHUT THE HELL UP!!!...

It's like saying... Let's not use cars anymore... Cos they use gas... Oh please, go back on a damn horse then!!! But oh not... Poor horse... We have to protect them... Ten f...g walk then...

Technology is jere to stay, it keeps us alive, it makes us live longer, it feeds us, it takes our kids to school, it keeps informed... It is human... We did this... Now let's enjoy it... The haters can go on an far away island and live with candles and hunt their food... Let's see how much you protect the animals when you're hungry... Oh how much technology you wanna refuse when you get sick... Go on...

April 6, 2012 at 11:24 am | Reply
    • Tim

Is this English?

April 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Reply
    • KEW

Why do you use 3 periods when 1 will do?

April 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Reply
  83. quantumelf

This is just the beginning. There will be contact lenses with HUD displays, etc. Just don't wear them while driving. :)

Maybe there will be plug-in apps for these – like, scanning women at a bar, and seeing "Free of all STDs", or "Danger Will Robinson", etc.

April 6, 2012 at 11:03 am | Reply
    • rhobere

there is already a company that has produced prototypes for contact lenses with LEDs. Only a matter of time before they can get high enough resolution for a display.

April 6, 2012 at 11:35 am | Reply
  84. Anonymous

Well of course! If we ever get in a fight, how else will we be able to tell what the power level of our enemies is?

April 6, 2012 at 10:44 am | Reply
  85. Saul Teeload

Yeah, hands free adult content on the go.
    Can't wait to blort a wad on the way to work

April 6, 2012 at 10:40 am | Reply
  86. Gizbot

Maybe Google should try to make a phone OS that can scroll smoothly without jittering and not need to be restarted every other day before they make the leap to Google glasses. Anyone who would trust Google or Apple or Microsoft or anyone to see EVERYTHING they see is out of their mind. Truly a sign of the apocalypse. Ridiculous technology that no one ever asked for and will just serve to push people further and further away from the real world and authentic human experiences. Sad..

April 6, 2012 at 10:28 am | Reply
    • basketcase

If your android phone is jittery when you scroll and needs to be restarted every day then you're doing it wrong.

April 6, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Reply
    • nea kelley

You must have a crappy phone... or dropped it one to many times.. my phone works wonderful ( htc evo ). I have smooth scrolling and never have to reboot my phone..

April 6, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  87. inickconsulting

I don't NEED my own personal robot, but it would be pretty freakin' sweet. These glasses are definitely a really cool concept and will lead to many thing. Those things it leads to could stretch as far as inspiring new space exploration technologies, or warfare technology that ends up saving lives. Did anybody really need the computer when it was first designed? Well, now we do.

At any rate, I think the first parody video makes a great point. Something like this could interfere with real life situations, and could potentially get you killed (if that guy you ran into happens to have a gun and a bad temper). But it's no more distracting (if not less) than our current method of looking DOWN at our smartphones as we're walking or driving down the street. The second parody doesn't bother me as much. As sad as it is, these days, seeing that many ads (whether in a browser, or in augmented reality) doesn't faze me at all.

April 6, 2012 at 10:25 am | Reply
  88. Dan

Just hope that when someone wearing these glasses get ill that they will remember to take them off before they have to use the bathroom!!

April 6, 2012 at 10:01 am | Reply
  89. Travis

I am actually looking forward to this technology making an appearance in the workplace. I work in telecommunications, so it would be nice to have a heads up display to interact with. For example: it could show me up-to-date technical information on a piece of equipment I was working on while letting me know about other work coming up over the next couple of hours, or if a system was in alarm.

But, even if they didn't make a hit in an enterprise environment, I would still use them around home and around town.

April 6, 2012 at 9:51 am | Reply
  90. Eddie Velasquez

I'm not a Google fan, but I'm sure that if Apple announced this, all the media woul dbe drooling over this "design inspired by Steve Jobs using the Ouija app for the iPad with Retina display".

The media's bias in favor of everything and anything Apple is rediculous.

April 6, 2012 at 9:27 am | Reply
    • J-Pap

If apple made it would work though

April 6, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Reply
  91. Josh S.

This is a very interesting device that can work great if it's perfected in the way google has it. I think it will take a very long time to reach that point and people wont get used to the interface for a while and accidentally send messages and such.

April 6, 2012 at 9:26 am | Reply
  92. krehator

If you think using a cell phone while driving is dangerous, look out, google has a new distraction.

April 6, 2012 at 9:17 am | Reply
  93. Betty Dabney

The only way they would be safe to use while driving is in a Google car. Hmm, come to think of it, that's brilliant product design – planning totally different products that complement each other.

April 6, 2012 at 9:15 am | Reply
  94. DCMich

If they were Apple glasses, people would be starting making lines in front of an Apple store right now.

April 6, 2012 at 9:13 am | Reply
    • CNNLovesApple

And CNN would be praising how this technology will change the world.

April 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Reply
    • dave836

If it was made by Apple, They wouldn't look like something that came out of a comic-book convention...

April 8, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Reply
  95. Joe

I can see myself wearing the Google Glasses, then an ad pops up, BOOM! You're in a horrific crash!

April 6, 2012 at 8:45 am | Reply
  96. yrag

"Do we really need digitally enhanced Google glasses?"

Did we really 'need' the iPad? That's no dig on the iPad, it's a comment on what I think is a bogus question.

The best innovations create a need that the rest of the world never knew they had.

April 6, 2012 at 8:26 am | Reply
  97. EB

One word........DRIVERS!

April 6, 2012 at 8:18 am | Reply
  98. Tom Bowler

These glasses if properly researched would be of great value to people with disabilities that have lost the use of their arms and hands. They would allow for easy use of a mobile device and/or computer that they were not able to use previously. The problem is the world runs on profit and the segment for this type of capability probably isn't large enough to warrant the development.

April 6, 2012 at 8:15 am | Reply
  99. Avser Bastian

VIOLENT WORLD PSYCHIATRY-PSYCHOLOGY REVEALED(mindless mkultra crimes performed by police and psychiatrists/psychologists)

USE OF MKULTRA + HUNGER GAMES TODAY....Use of psychology/psychiatry for mass population or ethnic cleansing as well as crimes to which we witness daily on behalf of Zionism/communism/liberalism.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpqc0u_part-80 EXACTLY HOW ETHNIC CLEANSING IS TAKING PLACE AGAINST NON SLAVS(German etc) THROUGHOUT EASTERN EUROPE SINCE WWII + REAL 911 REVEALED !!!

TRUTH ABOUT RUSSIAN COMMUNIST APPARATCHIK ALIKE GANGSTER AND TRAITOR DAVID DUKE OR 70 YEARS OLD US GOVERNMENT OBAMA(TERRORIST) NEWS

Related to WHITES ARE NOT WELCOME IN AMERICA ANY LONGER !!! http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE RECORDED LIVE IN 2009 !!! EXILING WHITES(US citizens) WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE AND IMPORTING NON WHITES IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS FREE !!

For fast updates use http://www.facebook.com/people/Loki-Nagrind/100001962176474

REMINDER...MY YOUTUBE ACCOUNT WAS HIJACKED(March 07th, 2012) BY US GOVERNMENT WHILE PRIMARY E-MAIL AS WELL AS BLOGS WERE ALL SHUT DOWN FOR THE SAKE OF CENSORSHIP REGARDING GENOCIDE AGAINST ME PERSONALLY THAT INVOLVED ABDUCTIONS / MK-ULTRA BRAINWASHING / FORCED BRAIN ELECTRODE – CHIP IMPLANTS / HUMAN EXPERIMENTATION / BLACKLISTING / FORCEFUL UNEMPLOYMENT AND ASSASSINATIONS !!! ALL AGAINST WHITE(under "NAZI" lie) CIVILIAN POPULATION TODAY IN 2011/2012 ACROSS THE EUROPE AND NORTHERN AMERICA !!!

+(plus)

IF THEY BRAINWASH YOU WITH LIES ON HOW ELECTING OBAMA WOULD HELP TEA PARTY(there is already over one hundred million of so called minorities in US alone while you are everything, but treated as humans), PLEASE ASK YOURSELF WHAT ARE YOUR CHANCES OF SURVIVAL ONCE OBAMA IS AGAIN SELF-ELECTED(see video 77) & SINCE NEW LAW IS TAKING GUNS FROM YOU ALREADY TODAY(stop the violent world of psychiatry or lies – NOW) !!!

April 5, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Reply
    • Chris

Typing in all CAPS makes you seem smart

April 6, 2012 at 8:32 am | Reply
      • Tim

I WANT TO BE SMART LIKE THIS PERSON TOO! MAYBE I'M SMARTER BECAUSE I USED 100% CAPS!

I'll have to admint – his post really stood out.

April 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
      • basketcase

@Tim- I don't think the caps had anything to do with this post standing out. I think it was more the wall-o-text combined with the fact that it appears to have been composed by a monkey on speed.

April 6, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
      • Charles

May your flute be filled with Korbel California Champagne as you cbaeerlte the holidays and may the new year be filled with joy and peace. We toast you & Skip and to your new adventures in life!

June 12, 2012 at 3:00 am |
    • Will

Nuts much?

April 6, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Reply
    • Johan S

Mental illness is treatable. By taking your medication and being locked up in padded room, you too can live a nearly normal life. Act now don't wait on a LivingSocial or Groupon discount to make an appointment at your local mental clinic.

April 7, 2012 at 3:45 am | Reply
    • Don

The Grand Wizard called: He wants his hood back

April 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Reply
  100. Scott M.

John, insightful piece and certainly there is an absurdity to this. However, if we only built things we "needed," then I'd have only half the crap I own. Wait, maybe that's a good thing?

April 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Reply
    • Rob

After reading your comment I looked at my desk and realized that I it would be a lot less crowded if I only had stuff on it that I "needed" – heck – i could probably jettison the desk itself – LOL.

April 6, 2012 at 10:14 pm | Reply