April 6th, 2012

'Game of Thrones' linguist: How to create a language from scratch

Editor's NoteDavid Peterson is the creator of the Dothraki language used in the HBO show 'Game of Thrones.' Peterson also is a member of the Language Creation Society.  A 30-minute profile of Peterson will air on CNN's "The Next List on Sunday at 2 p.m. ET.

By David Peterson, Special to CNN

The work of a language creator is often regarded with skepticism. "What's the big deal?" many ask. "All you have to do is make up words." And, indeed, one could proceed as follows:

a = blork
abandon = glurg
abate = plurfle
abattoir = gluff

And so on until there was a unique form for every word in an English language dictionary (in fact, with a computer program, one could produce dozens of "languages" like this in a matter of minutes). And while the resultant language would look different from English, functionally and semantically, it would be identical-a mere notational variant.

The reason, of course, is that language doesn't exist in a vacuum. While one can mix up the sounds of an existing language, by copying its vocabulary, one unconsciously duplicates the culture of that language's speakers along with it.

In building up the Dothraki language, I paid special attention to the cultural information a reader is able to glean from George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire." At the most basic level, we see a nomadic race of warriors tied inextricably to their horses: they ride horses, they give horses as gifts, they eat horse meat, they worship a horse god-even their alcohol comes in the form of fermented mare's milk. The word dothraki itself translates to "riders". As horse riding is so central to Dothraki existence, it seems natural that the concept would crop up in their language in a variety of ways.

For example, the basic way to inquire after someone's state is, Hash yer dothrae chek? That translates literally to, "Do you ride well?" or, "Are you riding well?" In English, though, an appropriate translation would be simply, "How are you doing?"

In another area of the grammar, Dothraki expresses immediate pasts and futures using the same verb: dothralat, "to ride". Here are some illustrative examples:

Anha adakhak. "I'm eating." (Present)
Anha vadakhak. "I'm going to eat." (Standard Future)
Anha adakh. "I ate." (Standard Past)
Anha dothrak adakhataan. "I'm about to eat." (Lit. "I ride to eating.")
Anha dothrak adakhatoon. "I just ate." (Lit. "I ride from eating.")

In discussing long distances, the Dothraki express themselves in terms of horserides. Dothraki has words for different types of horse gaits which line up with English terminology thus:

karlinat, "to gallop"
chetirat, "to canter"
irvosat, "to trot"
onqothat, "to walk"

Unlike English, terms for distance in Dothraki are derived directly from horse gait terminology. Using karlinat as a base, the Dothraki have an approximation for how far a horse in good health can gallop before having to stop to rest. That distance (let's call it a mile to make conversion easy) is referred to as a karlina. Using the other gait types, the same derivation model is applied and stands for how far a horse would move at that speed in the time it would take the horse to gallop a karlina. This gives Dothraki the following terms (all of which are approximations):

karlina = one mile
chetira = half mile
irvosa = quarter mile
onqotha = eighth mile

These terms, however, do not stand for exact measures. For example, a smaller horse with a rider who doesn't weigh much will be able to gallop further without tiring than a larger horse weighted down with supplies and a heavy rider. Thus, karlina may mean one mile for one horse and rider, and may mean two and a half or three miles for another-and the same goes for each of the four units-similar to how I can say, at two in the morning, that LA is 40 minutes away, while at eight in the morning, it may be two hours away.

One important fact to remember is that language users use their own experience to encode life as they see it. And just as "What's up?" doesn't mean "What's in the sky right now?", Hash yer dothrae chek? doesn't necessarily have anything to do with horse riding. Dothraki horse culture is simply a tool Dothraki speakers use to help them describe the reality around them. Part of the fun of creating a language is using an imagined culture as a palette to paint our own reality in different colors-and Dothraki culture has proved to be a fun palette.

Please Follow us, Like us, and check out our photos!

Post by:
Filed under: Art • Film • Innovation • The Next List
  1. Stacie

Hello, i believe that i noticed you visited my blog so i got here to return the favor?.I am attempting to in finding things to improve my website!I guess its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

January 3, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Reply
  2. Beverley Joganic

Following research a couple of of your weblog posts on your own net web page now, and I basically like your suggests of running a blog. I bookmarked it to my bookmark internet site listing and may be checking once again soon. Pls consider my web site as properly and let me know what you think.

November 3, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Reply
  3. Mel Rodeigues

i must extend with a link to here, from mine, if you dont mind, please reply, bye

November 1, 2013 at 2:25 am | Reply
  4. 手機殼

excellent post, i certainly adore this website, carry on it 手機殼 http://www.yoyoshiu.com

May 27, 2013 at 10:45 pm | Reply
  5. live forex blog

Its like you learn my thoughts! You appear to know so much approximately this, such as you wrote the ebook in it or something. I believe that you simply could do with some % to power the message home a bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

October 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Reply
  6. online store computer

Hello There. I found your weblog the usage of msn. That is a really neatly written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will definitely return.

August 6, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  7. trade show display design

Hi there, I discovered your web site by the use of Google at the same time as looking for a comparable topic, your website got here up, it appears to be like great. I've added to my favourites|added to my bookmarks.

June 4, 2012 at 7:47 am | Reply
    • Larbi

Some very important bascis are being highlighted here. I feel this blog represents really good value for all types of marketers, and the greenhorn can learn loads here. Highly recommended!

September 24, 2012 at 7:14 am | Reply
  8. trade show display, trade show booths, trade show booth, trade show displays, table top displays, trade show exhibits, trade show banners, pop up displays, show displays, trade show exhibit, trade show banner, used trade show booths, trade show signage, t

Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a weblog site? The account aided me a appropriate deal. I have been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear concept

June 3, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Reply
  9. chess book

I have always been proud of you and this little article gives me additional reasons to do so. chess book

May 30, 2012 at 6:31 am | Reply
    • Deiby

Posted on I feel much better about my flaeid attempt now! Its excellent that you can laugh at your attempt! i loved the bummer basket ah the many mutant children of our creativity! i can really relate cause i just recently ventured into the world of felting.Lia’s last blog post..

September 25, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Reply
  10. FuxerTipoc

May 7, 2012 at 2:10 am | Reply
  11. BadatLanguage

Great stuff – I actually blogged about the Dothraki language recently but only found this article today.. could have done with it back then! I only discovered Game of Thrones recently also (seems I'm always late to the party) and loving it so far.

May 5, 2012 at 8:24 am | Reply
    • Giuly

Sharon September 5, 2010 If you live where I do being a racist is the safe way to live. The bckals in Akron, OH USA are constantly ganging up and hurting unsuspecting people. We have 28% black and they DO do all the crimes against white peeps. Getting tired of wondering where this will go. Civil war in America?

September 25, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Reply
  12. SemuelGirs

May 3, 2012 at 6:42 am | Reply
  13. Edineia

By on July 27, 2010Filed Under: , So far, reports from the set have been non-existent. Looks like HBO is rlealy serious about sealing up the leaks this time around. However, it seems they are filming only at the Paint Hall at the moment. Once they go on location we should start seeing some set reports and photos pop up. Until then, let’s take a look at a few noteworthy items from around the web:First up, is from The Guardian that popped up over the weekend asking if Game of Thrones is the most anticipated TV show ever. They talk about the books and the buzz and even manage to work a link to us in there (thanks Guardian!).Next, is this from The Well Educated Pony that talks fashion in Game of Thrones. The blog author tries toa0match up characters to the kind of present day, high-end fashion they might wear. This is the second in a series of posts covering this topic, the first one can be found . I think educated pony does a great job of capturing the essence of the characters in her fashion choices and reading this makes me even more anxious to see more official costume pics. for the Dothraki language, created for the show bya0linguista0David J. Peterson has just launched. It was created by the same folks behind the very popular and hopes to be the number one site to go to for those who wish to learn Dothraki. So far they’ve got a wiki and the “first and only” Dothraki dictionary. Look for the site to continue to expand as more info on the language is released.Lastly, got some time on your hands? Then come . The much-beloved Margaret John is Old Nan; we can see now exactly why they cast her! One might speculate whether or not she’s ever made lemoncakes… (Special thanks to for pointing this out on Twitter!)Tags: , , , , , |

May 2, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  14. t8 led tube

naturally like your web site however you need to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it very bothersome to inform the truth then again I'll certainly come back again.

April 18, 2012 at 12:05 am | Reply
  15. Angryblackman

this is the reason why learning another language helps you to learn the culture and for those that struggle with learning new languages, observe the culture that the language comes from and it will help in you in understanding the language better making learning the language easier. language and culture go hand in hand.

April 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Reply
    • David

O'Nan has been a long-time favorite witerr of mine. Last Night at the Lobster' is a particular joy to read often. Can't wait to read Emily Alone',

September 24, 2012 at 4:49 am | Reply
  16. jj

JRR Tolkien created several fictional languages for Lord of the Rings.

April 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm | Reply
  17. Alex

It would have been nice to hear more of a rebuttal to the "you just have to create words" language argument. The general populace would do well to know exactly what goes into the evolution of a language, constructed or otherwise! Either way, thanks for this look at a very interesting art.

April 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Reply
    • Erikan

Australia Worldcon Party & RaffleAs has become triidtaon, the Brotherhood without Banners—George R.R. Martin’s unofficial fan club—are going to be throwing room parties at in Melbourne, Australia. Precise details of time and date will be arriving soon, but are being prepared (date and time to be confirmed). The fans are also organizing a at the site, filled with some notable prize packages, and George and Parris seem like they’ll be contributing some goodies to the prize pool.If you’re thinking of attending this year’s Worldcon, drop by , where this and other fan gatherings are planned and discussed. As is also triidtaonal, there’s a couple of threads where fans who aren’t attending are posting questions they’d like to see answered during George’s two Q&A sessions at his HBO panel and his ADwD reading; naturally, the collection will become a repository for all the interesting reports and items that come out of the convention.

May 2, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Reply
      • Kreme

New Dothraki Language InterviewWired’s Geekdad blog has posted an with David J. Peterson rergading his development of the Dothraki language for HBO’s Game of Thrones. Quite a lot of excellent details, including Peterson comparing the sound of Dothraki to ” Arabic plus Spanish divided by two … squared,” giving the latest count of the dictionary (2,356 words, conservatively), and a new phrase to practice. It’s another fascinating look into the development process.

June 12, 2012 at 1:06 am |
      • nirolfb

T4hcoT uurswipaddde

June 14, 2012 at 3:37 am |
  18. dragon born

i speak dragon FUS RO DAH translated posh power force

April 9, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  19. clark

SHUT UP !!!!

April 9, 2012 at 8:15 am | Reply
  20. docryder

Reblogged this on Doc Ryder's Wyrd Science and commented:
    While I don't think this is something any DM wants to do a lot of, it is something to think about if you're going to be doing much with languages. It's an often forgotten aspect of world creation.

April 8, 2012 at 10:27 pm | Reply
    • thu

strange that you are the only person so far getintg this bug? perhaps you have two catablog folders in your plugins folder or you have declared a function somewhere in your theme or in one of your other plugins that has the same name. could you try activating the plugin with the twentyten theme enabled and no other plugins activated and see if it works. thanks.

May 1, 2012 at 1:42 am | Reply
      • Kenny

Anonymous August 3, 2010 You did the right thing. I wpuild have done the same and even more than that. I would ahve salpped his face with my id.He deserves it for not only being stupid but irresponsible.Don't ever feel guilty for such persons.And I will not aologize. He should know better.

July 21, 2012 at 2:40 am |
  21. Dorothy Potter Snyder

I'm a language nerd, but to the author of this piece, there is no such thing as "Standard Future:. The future you've noted here in Dothraki is the compound future (going to verb), and the future you've noted is simply indicative future tense (will verb). Normally about to verb would involve a preposition in almost any language I know, but I'll accept the "riding to" idea, though "galloping to" would perhaps be more to point for "about to verb". http://www.DorothyPotterSpanish.com

April 8, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Reply
    • tselacg

Dorothy, "Standard Future" is just the way David named the future tense in Dothraki, a conjugated form that corresponds both to the "going to" and "will" futures of English.

Oh, by the way, in the expression "about to", "about" isn't a preposition. It's an adverb (as in the expression "out and about"). Also, you mustn't know many languages to know only languages using a "preposition" for this construction. Of all the languages I know, none does. The Dothraki construction is nothing weird and I've seen many languages with comparable constructions for "about to". My native language French being one.

April 16, 2012 at 5:23 am | Reply
  22. Tel

There us no other way to be hung for a Dothraki.

April 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Reply
    • Tel

Oops, was supposed to be an answer to James K's question....

April 8, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Reply
      • Paolo

KBeau4196 June 22, 2011 I am American and i am not fat, ignorant or berengellit. I may not know everything about every other country, but if you think about it, who does? I am not biased and i do not base my thoughts on other countries based on stereotypes.You may think American' accents are stupid, but to me they aren't because i live here. That is just rude i don't think any other accent is stupid.We might have a stereotype about talking with strange accents and texting jargon in speech such as lol', but we certainly do not talk weird relative to our country.You are ignorant- and that is not based on your nationality.

August 20, 2012 at 6:59 am |
  23. Jack

Iv'e read part of this series years ago. It is like a storyline on methamphetamine, it goes all over the place. The worst part about reading the books is that It was never finished. I remember getting through with the first couple novels and then that was it, the sequels that conclude it never came out. I waited for quite a few years to read the end before gave up and Figured a person with two middles initials just like JRR Tolkien was trying way to hard. Now they're making language just like JRR Tolkien Did. They're going to sell the dictionaries to all the nerds who can't deal with real life.

April 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Reply
    • Chuck

Jack, you know he's still writing the books right? Maybe the worst part was not understanding the concept of a large story still being written and not completed decades ago.

April 8, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Reply
    • Heffi

@Jack: I'm with you, Jack. I was smitten with the series when if first came out, and delightedly read the first three novels. When the fouth FFC came out, it was a terrible let-down in that not much really happened when compared to the first three. I was, "After waiting all these years, this is all you had for us?" Finding a similar let-down in the 'Sword of Truth' series by Terry Goodkind after 5 of his novels, I'm was just too cynical to have bothered purchasing Martin's 5th book.
      @Chuck. The worst part was waiting for more, visiting his website for more info, and realising he's been doing other projects instead of this. I felt taken for granted.

April 8, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Reply
      • TecEdge

He isn't neglecting this project in the slightest. He hit a functional road block in his mind around Feast of Crows even though he had a direction. He just put out A Dance With Dragons and from the look, part 2 of the same novel will launch this year? I feel like 2,000 pages is a huge commitment.

April 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • Wastrel

Yes, this is another endless series and to be avoided if you are fan of stories that end.

April 11, 2012 at 10:34 am | Reply
    • Abu

Great sample! That is ecatxly what I was looking for to improve the graphics of my 2d game. But the (bad) performance still remains a serious problem for me. In my game, the (scrolling)levels are much bigger as the one in the sample. Furthermore i also would like to add some more lights. I tried this within the sample and the result was like a slideshow I experienced that the most performance loss comes while drawing the shadowvertices (last lines of the DrawShadows method). Maybe merging all convexhulls shadows to one single buffer could help here. Also precalc the shadowvertices on specific events (eg. on new light, on new convexhull, on lightposition change, on convexhullposition change, on scaling light range ) instead of doing this each frame. Therefor an illumination manager class, which holds shadowvertices and manages all convexhulls and lightsources, could be helpfull. Just my thoughts. Any further ideas?

April 30, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Reply
  24. real writing jobs

I have read a few just right stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how a lot effort you place to create such a fantastic informative web site.

April 8, 2012 at 11:24 am | Reply
  25. RavenB

I'm Maori (indigenous New Zealander) and I noticed that the very first line Drogo speaks is "I te waka" which is the refrain from a very well-known Maori haka. Since then I've picked up the odd word that has meaning in Maori but nothing in a full sentence. As far as a race and language to base the warrior Dothraki on goes, Maori makes a lot of sense, but I'd love to know for certain if it was.

April 7, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Reply
    • Nara

Well, I know that Jason Momoa performed a haka in his audition tape for the part. Maybe they decided to keep the line in as a tribute (or maybe he improvised it). I haven't seen for sure anywhere that the linguist borrowed from Maori, but conlangers often borrow a word or two from lanugages they're inspired by so it wouldn't be a surprise.

April 7, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Reply
      • RavenB

Holy ish, I didn't know he auditioned with a haka! I just watched it on youtube, it's awesome. I mean, yes, he completely mangled it – there are no 'ooga's in a haka nor is there any clapping or death metal bull-horn fingers, but it's pretty effective all the same and his pronunciation is quite good. I like that he used the throat-slitting gesture at the end, the All Blacks got banned from using that : )

April 8, 2012 at 12:11 am |
  26. jmmelican

If distance if based on "an approximation for how far a horse in good health can gallop before having to stop to rest." then why does:

karlina = one mile
    chetira = half mile
    irvosa = quarter mile
    onqotha = eighth mile

Shouldn't it be the other way around? A horse in good health could walk a lot farther than it could gallop. Certainly not 1/8th the distance. Even the use of Imperial style fractional comparatives represents a US cultural bias instead of a metric system such as in Europe.

Perhaps it should be:
    karlina = one mile
    chetira = eight miles
    irvosa = twenty miles
    onqotha = thirty miles

April 7, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Reply
    • Blob

No, if you read the paragraph carefully, you'll see that one onqotha is how far the horse can walk in the _time_ it takes it to gallop one karlina. Likewise for the rest.

April 8, 2012 at 9:26 am | Reply
      • jmmelican

ah... reading. I really should try that.
        thanks for the correction :)

April 8, 2012 at 9:55 am |
    • Mido

wow i love ur gameplay man I thebumd up! Check out my gameplay and montages too, I have a tomahawk montage, some across maps too, and gameplay with ak-47 and quickscoping And sub + comment + thumbs up if u like?

September 26, 2012 at 12:28 am | Reply
  27. Some parts are easy

At least he didn't have to come up with a translation of "Thank you"

April 7, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Reply
    • Rawrth

You are amazing XD I completely get the reference

April 8, 2012 at 12:13 am | Reply
  28. NorCalMojo

That's some hard core geeking right there.

April 7, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Reply
  29. L0wTax

Creating a new language...so easy, a caveman can do it.

April 6, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Reply
  30. Ragnar

"anha" was generated by a computer? "Ana" is Arabic for "I" or "I am"

April 6, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Reply
    • James Prather

"Ana" is "I am" in Arabic, but it's the same in Hebrew, Syriac, and many other Semitic languages. Linguists love to rip off other languages as they make up their "new" one. Tolkien did it to Old Norse, Celtic, and Middle English.

April 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Reply
      • Pandora

Because of all this fuss about the world "ana" I should just say this.. my name is Ana, spelt exacly like this, simple. Ana. so yeah it's been around for a while,, that being said, it does not and it should not affect the ability to value the work of creating a language from scratch for the purpose of a book or series.

April 7, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
      • Phie

You're also bound to find coincidental similarities between a made up language and other languages because there are really only so many sounds we can make.

April 9, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
  31. schremeg

See J.R.R. Tolkien

April 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Reply
    • Sferrell

Agreed see Tolkien

April 6, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Reply
  32. James K.

How does one say, "Hung like a horse," in Dothraki?

April 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Reply
    • Khal

Megadong

April 6, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Reply
      • KhalKhal

Not in English, in Dothraki.

April 7, 2012 at 3:10 am |
      • Snoopingas

That ain't dothraki,

Think more along the lines of "karlina adakhak" amirite ?

April 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Tel

There is no other way to be hung, for a Dothraki.

April 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Reply
      • Fellndy

oo naman, mas magaling ang aeneto sa la salle. syempre may bias ako, nag-aral kasi ako sa ADMU.pero isa kasi sa criteria nila e facilities, mas OK yata facilities ng la salle.

July 19, 2012 at 2:56 am |