iPhone app aims to program your dreams ('Inception' anyone?)
April 17th, 2012

iPhone app aims to program your dreams ('Inception' anyone?)

By John D. Sutter, CNN

(CNN) - Harvard PhD student Daniel Nadler is trying to bring a really rudimentary version of the movie "Inception" to life with a new iPhone app that aims to help you "program your dreams."

Called Sigmund, the 99-cent app builds off of pre-existing sleep science to help people "program" the content of their dreams from a list of 1,000 keywords. After you select one to five words from the list, a sorta-soothing, sorta-robotic female voice reads the words you select during the deepest moments of your sleep cycle - the REM cycles - when you're most likely to dream vividly. In a sleep study that was the basis for the app, 34% to 40% of participants' dreams were memorably altered by the suggestive readings, he said.

"Obviously what goes on in the sleeping brain is not entirely remembered so it could actually be a higher incorporation rate," he said.

You don't have to fall asleep to the sound of the voice repeating the same words over and over. Before you go to bed, you tell the app what time you're going to sleep and what time you plan to wake up. It reads the words you've selected only during the points in your sleep cycle when you're most likely to be dreaming, based on averages of when REM cycles tend to occur. So if you're sleeping 4 hours, you'll get the words at different times than if you're sleeping for 8 hours. The iPhone sits next to your bed and plays the words over its internal speaker.

How well it works and whether consumers will be comfortable with the idea of programming dreams remains to be seen, however. Nadler, who is studying economics but has a fellowship at Harvard's Mind/Brain/Behavior Initiative to research sleep-dependent learning, said his team combed the dictionary for words that would influence dreams in positive ways only.

But if you take a look at the list of words offered by the Sigmund app, it's pretty easy to imagine some dreams that would be totally creepy, if not downright terrifying. A dream, for example, that includes "mountain," "meadow" and "rain" might be soothing, but throw in "tiger" and "anaconda" and, depending on your sub-psyche, things could turn south. I tried the app last night and didn't sleep well at all because I was so worried that the "panda" I selected would attack me instead of being cute.

Also unnerving: There's a "romantic" category of words that includes bland-enough stuff like "boyfriend," "girlfriend" ... but also "sex," "nightclub," "bikini," "lover" and, weirdest of bunch, "flute." There's something unsettling about letting loose these sorts of randomly grouped words on your subconscious.

"We took out any verbal stimuli that has any potential negative connotation because we don’t want people reinforcing any negative emotion that they may have, much less dreaming about things that may cause them to harm themselves," Nadler said. But take a look at the "adventure" category and it's pretty easy to see how "army," "battle," "combat" and "harem" could have "potential negative connotations."

Nadler obviously didn't design the app for these reasons. He wants to end nightmares. People can, of course, choose whichever words from the list they'd like. It's not like you have to have a dream about a "battle" with a "zebra" unless you're working on a really weird screenplay. And Nadler says the app has been pretty successful at helping people to avoid recurring nightmares and to replace them with dreams of their choice.

Some of the app's early users agree.

Romain Zamour, a 23-year-old Yale Law student, said by e-mail that the app "makes me dream more" and changes his sleeping consciousness in interesting and unexpected ways:

Sigmund influences your dreams in subtle ways. For instance, one night, I entered the words: "black cat." I did not dream about a black cat. I had a very vivid dream of walking around Paris in the evening with a girlfriend. But, at a decisive moment in the dream, a black cat appears and watches us silently. This is really fascinating: you wake up in the morning, you know that the words you chose probably influenced the dream, and you try to figure out how.

Nancy Xie, a 20-year-old Harvard student, also reacted positively to having her dreams programmed:

I entered 'running, mountains' the first time it worked and had a really vivid dream jogging on a trail in the Sierras, a place that I had been to a number of times. It really took me back there.

Still, it's not something she wants to do all the time, she said by e-mail:

Influencing my dreams is not something I want to do every night, just like watching a movie is not something I want to do every night. I make an event of it. But when I do use it, I use it a few nights in a row, because it works best that way.

Nadler, who created the app with the help of two other developers, hopes more people will be making "events" out of their dreams in the future. As people get busier and busier, he said, there's all the more need for people to get entertainment or professional value out of their dreams. Eventually, he hopes people will be able to use apps like this to program studying and learning into the dreams as well.

If you check out the app, let me know in the comments section which words you programmed into your dreams and how well it worked.

Post by:
Filed under: Future • Innovation • Science • Smartphones • Tech
  1. free preview of Paddy o'Brian movies

Heya just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know
    a few of the images aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why but I think its
    a linking issue. I've tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

April 8, 2014 at 3:50 am | Reply
  2. Marybeth Pers

November 25, 2013 at 1:58 am | Reply
  3. 推薦行動電源

Aw, this was a really good post. In idea I want to put in writing like this moreover – taking time and precise effort to make a very great article... but what can I say... I procrastinate alot and certainly not appear to get some factor done. 推薦行動電源 http://www.powerbankdigital.com

June 24, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Reply
  4. SoCal Law Group Professionals

Another great post thanks for the information and also good examine. SoCal Law Group Professionals http://www.lawsuitdisputelawdirectory.com/tag/asil/

February 17, 2013 at 1:12 am | Reply
  5. iphone

Great website. Lots of useful information here. I’m sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you for your sweat! iphone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVLDhZY4mtA

January 31, 2013 at 1:23 am | Reply
  6. AppleVideoReviews.com

Reblogged this on Apple Video Reviews | The Best iPhone, iPad, iPod & Mac Reviews.

January 27, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Reply
  7. Roxana Murallies

good blog!! You should start many more. I love all the info offered. I will stay tuned.

December 21, 2012 at 10:32 am | Reply
  8. brazilian hair

history about the bridge created on every single certificate http://rrtjk.exblog.jp

December 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Reply
  9. SEO,SEO tools

Remarkable issues here. I'm very satisfied to look your post. Thank you a lot and I am looking ahead to contact you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

December 7, 2012 at 3:21 am | Reply
  10. mobile app development

Hi there, I discovered your blog via Google whilst looking for a comparable subject, your site got here up, it appears to be like good. I have added to my favourites|added to bookmarks.

November 14, 2012 at 6:56 am | Reply
  11. Marjorie Clason

I have to say that for the last couple of hours i have been hooked by the impressive posts on this website. Keep up the great work.

October 2, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Reply
  12. Victor The Cleanerour website much and

Hey CNN.com, just a thought: you might want to update the authentication required to leave comments. Otherwise you end up with a garbage-heap of spammer "I enjoy your insight web page very well" comments. It ain't rocket science!

September 21, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  13. see more

I have learn a few excellent stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you place to make the sort of great informative web site.

September 21, 2012 at 11:59 am | Reply
  14. icons

There is a site on a theme interesting you.

P.S. Please review Mosquito Icon from health-care-icons

September 17, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Reply
  15. icons

I congratulate, the remarkable message

P.S. Please review Dating Web Icons from designesticons

September 17, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Reply
  16. don't click here

I simply could not leave your web site prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual info a person supply on your visitors? Is gonna be again often in order to investigate cross-check new posts

September 8, 2012 at 8:35 am | Reply
  17. nivir

The application helps explore those mysterious night time communications that we get from our subconscious, commonly known as dreams.To download

September 6, 2012 at 7:05 am | Reply
  18. nivir

Nothing is impossible if you want .To help you in this mission my dream app is here.To Download this more interesting app click here

September 6, 2012 at 6:57 am | Reply
  19. articles of today

Hey There. I discovered your weblog using msn. This is a really well written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I'll definitely comeback.

August 16, 2012 at 5:21 am | Reply
  20. Lewis

Similar to this App I also like Morpheus Dreams which really is the most comprehensive Dream journal and interpretation App on the iTunes.

The App allows you to easily record dreams, sync across devices, interpret as you write, and identify favorite or recurring themes and iamges. The dictionary has been composed de novo through a careful curation and recompilation of the most valuable dream interpretations published throughout history: from Artemidorus, to Freud, Jung, Hasse and selected others. Morpheus is the first and only App to offer a comprehensive and cohesive set of interpretations based on the foundational work in the field, not a simple rehash.
    Finally, you’re never locked in as you’re always able to export your whole journal in text format and move on which makes the App worth investing the time. The $1.99 price is incredibly cheap for such a useful app to anyone interested in dreams, whether you use the journal or the dictionary alone

July 18, 2012 at 5:47 am | Reply
  21. burberry trench coats

Burberry is an terrific leader of worldwide lavishness way stepburberry trench coats

June 7, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Reply
  22. MD Limon Hossain

This is a good wap site,& help full blog.
    Definition and Description of what a Prepper
    iphone app is along with links and resources to all the various prepper organizations.

May 21, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Reply
  23. tomdyess

Sleep Sounds goes on the concept of you dream of something like an explosion right before your alarm wakes you. It has various sounds that you can mix and match to make your own custom sound. It's pretty cool.

May 5, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Reply
  24. Tu zona tecnologica

Fantastic site. Lots of useful info here. I'm sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you to your effort!

May 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Reply
    • Ram

I intended to write you this very small note so as to thank you so much over again with the fsiaattnc guidelines you've shown on this website. It has been simply strangely open-handed with people like you to grant openly all that a number of us would've distributed as an e book to help with making some dough for their own end, chiefly seeing that you could possibly have done it in case you considered necessary. Those points as well worked as a great way to comprehend other individuals have a similar dream similar to mine to figure out a little more with respect to this problem. I'm sure there are millions of more enjoyable times in the future for individuals who looked at your website.

June 12, 2012 at 3:50 am | Reply
  25. Turban

It's appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I've learn this post and if I may I want to counsel you few attention-grabbing issues or tips. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

April 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Reply
  26. thor P.

Better, more fun dream app here, the real thing from ex-NASA researchers: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dream-e-smart-dream-analysis/id500474380?mt=8

April 29, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  27. Turban

It's the best time to make a few plans for the longer term and it's time to be happy. I have read this put up and if I may I wish to suggest you few interesting things or advice. Maybe you could write next articles regarding this article. I wish to learn even more issues about it!

April 26, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Reply
  28. Bodybuilding Shop

I relish, result in I found just what I used to be having a look for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye

April 25, 2012 at 9:53 am | Reply
  29. Manticore

Can it make me dream I'm the Doctor's companion? I'd dream about that every night...but it would be torture waking up. :(

April 23, 2012 at 3:13 am | Reply
  30. josh

I fall asleep with the TV on every night, mostly ESPN, and not once have I dreamed of playing sports.

April 19, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Reply
  31. Cole

THAT IS AMAZING, you get do pick what you want to dream... if you dont think thats cool your F***ing crazy. (unless you dont like dreaming, then your not crazy)

April 19, 2012 at 7:51 am | Reply
  32. george

eagaly waiting for it

April 19, 2012 at 6:34 am | Reply
  33. Tanveer Ali Haidery

Advance gadget and modern technology is killing our present mother nature. There are increasing numbers of unemployment, just because Computer is much capable of handling jobs of hundreds of labor workers.
    Computer is a boon as well as a curse to the present modern world.
    If something is invented then it should be utilized properly otherwise the reverse will be too destructive to others.

Now these mobiles phones, we all knew how harmful gadget it is, but at the same time we neglect the minus point considering the plus point of it.
    In today’s world when unemployment is at its highest peak due to economic crisis.
    People are desperately and making all possible effort to live life in today’s world.

I suggest we must immediately stop using these modern gadget and computers and start living a normal life as we were before.
    Otherwise the end of the day is very near.
    I would like to tell my every reader to consider this comments very seriously, otherwise the end is soon to arrive.
    Check out the condition of today’s world. Can anyone may say that there is peace every where around the globe. No Never.
    Every where is crisis and tension among people.
    And I could sense the reason behind this is the modern world and technology.

People are so used to these electronics gadget that they literally forget their social life and surrounding.
    A person is busy in his office on computer, while on his way home he is busy checking his Face book, Orkut, Twitter and Linked in.
    When he reached home, his children are busy watching TV, either way busy on net chatting through face book. etc etc.
    Ultimately, human is becoming slave to these entire modern gadgets and its application. Its needs to be stopped otherwise the result will be too worse in future.

I want to write more, but at the same time, I don’t even know, if at all the readers are interested in reading further.
    I will be happy if my comment is appreciated by anyone, or else if I hurt anyone through any means, then I heartily apologize for it.
    My intension is to make all human being live safe & happily on the planet earth for long period of time and safe mother nature.
    Send in your feedback at (tanveer_ali_in@yahoo.com)

April 19, 2012 at 5:14 am | Reply
    • unhanon

While many people have been, and continue to be, concerned about how microcomputing and "social technology" are impacting us in negative ways, your post is too general to be considered.
      There have always been people who have not had full employment. Even before there were employers and employees, there were subsistence farmers or herders who did not have enough land to till, animals to raise, etc.
      There have always been people who are poor or hungry or sick or emotionally/psychologically/spiritually unwell. Technology did not create this. This is a part of the human condition.
      While I agree that we should be conscious, mindful and intentional about how we use these devices, to simply suggest that they are evil or bad is horribly simplistic.

April 19, 2012 at 9:13 am | Reply
      • tom clancy

I have to agree with unhanon. there will always be problems in the world, in life. to blame the new trend that has made us maybe a bit more lazy is very simple minded, about 40% of adults this year don't even use computers.

April 19, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  34. Mr. Right

Sad, almost all news under the 'Tech' category is based on Apple in some way. Is CNN so unintelligent that they don't realize the amount of Apple content they've been pushing out, or do they just not care? Or do the big shots who say what should and shouldn't be published have some kind of enormous stake in Apple? I'll put my money on the latter.

April 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Reply
    • Mike

Well, Apple IS A TECH COMPANY.... maybe that's why.
      Would you whine so much if it was Google or Microsoft? Probably not.
      You are a moron.

April 19, 2012 at 8:40 am | Reply
      • apple troll alert

Did you read his post? You missed his very obvious point (CNN regularlly promotes Apple products and minimizes anti-apple criticism), so some readers are going to think that you calling HIM a moron is pure irony. I'm just sayin'...
        I'm going with option numer two, that you're just trolling...

April 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  35. Sonya Bear

I tried it with 'ebook', 'price-fixing', 'trojan-virus' and narcissistic and dreamed about Apple's all night.

April 18, 2012 at 11:42 am | Reply
  36. kuttekalund

I put the words "moron","fool","fake","nightmare", "greedy" before I slept. I had MITT ROMNEY'S face stuck in my dreams all night. Damn.

April 18, 2012 at 11:29 am | Reply
    • Zizo

It's great, but there are a few things that bug me. I wish it would give me the opoitn to select a photo or take a new one when I launch the app. I hate having to click cancel if I want to select one. Also the photos aren't geotagged so when I import them into iPhoto or Aperture there is no GPS data.

August 22, 2012 at 4:29 am | Reply
  37. Miss Demeanor

Did Jobs invent the app and screw with his own brain? Maybe that's what made him so paranoid. I think it's hilarious that he spent thirty years playing the bullied bitter loser until he finally hit upon two quite cool idea's (iPhone & iPooed)... but in the end he turned into an evil, greedy 'suit' in hippies garb. The two-faced ad strategy he always used is still in place ("we only colluded to set ebook prices (which they raised, big surprise) to stop Amazon from monopolizing the market.) Not surprisingly, Apple fans could care less about (I'm being overly generous) this lack of integrity.

April 18, 2012 at 10:34 am | Reply
  38. Miss Demeanor

I prefer the iWoes app. It uninstalls all viruses that Macs 'don't get'. The iCollude app is pretty cool too. It fixes ebook prices (personally designed by Jobs himself... it was his last gesture to the world.

April 18, 2012 at 10:24 am | Reply
    • I.M. Just Sayin'

Good one. I laughed out loud when the recent trojan virus slapped Apple's fraudulent "WEEEEE DON"T GET VIRUSES" smugness right off the company's lying face. Note to Apple fans: this isn't the first time its happened and the only reason it hasn't happened more often in the past is because only a tiny portion (a measly 5%) of the worlds computers are Apples. Worse, Apple knew the problem existed in NOVEMBER and did nothing about it until this month. Great customer service indeed.

April 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Reply
    • Timucin

Pro tip: Don't use a * when creating an int in the hedear. Just do int score;. You can get some weird ass glitches if you use a * sometimes

September 24, 2012 at 11:45 am | Reply
  39. Michael Paul Coder

I have been doing this for a long time. I designed a headband with an accelerometer that is sensitive enough to pick up the heartbeat and can thus easily detect rapid eye movements. It then plays an audio track. I can sometimes hear the songs in my dreams and act on that knowledge – by flying, for example. And I post the raw data along with a printout of the most interesting minute to LSDBase.org every other day.

April 18, 2012 at 12:11 am | Reply
    • Back to the Future

Reminds me of November, 1955 when Doc Brown comes to his door wearing the harness for his thought reading machine in Back to the Future.

April 18, 2012 at 7:34 am | Reply
      • Michael Paul Coder

Exactly! Just a lot smaller and comfortable enough to wear to bed. I have also been practicing Morse Code in hope that I can one day transcribe what I am seeing and thinking live from the dream world.

April 18, 2012 at 7:50 am |
      • Micah

That comment is so right on the money. love it.

April 18, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  40. Atlantaphotog

Next question though – why is the app over 90 MB in size (??).

April 17, 2012 at 11:46 pm | Reply
    • Me

Probably because of all the audio clips for a large number of words.

April 18, 2012 at 11:41 am | Reply
      • Itzel

hey there and thank you for your info – I’ve certainly piekcd up anything new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this website, as I experienced to reload the website lots of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK? Not that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and can damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective exciting content. Make sure you update this again very soon..

June 12, 2012 at 2:22 am |
    • Javier

Thanks, and you are able to access your PC from anyrwehe as long as it is on or at least in a mode that you can wake up. If you lived in California and went to Florida for the week you could get on Splashtop and use your computer. If it is on.

July 21, 2012 at 12:05 am | Reply
  41. iBod

Funny, because I don't need this. I hate to sound like the odd one in the group, but on some nights when I am in intense thought, I occasionally dream about what I was thinking about before falling asleep.

We have to remember: Dreams are never random, even though our brain may put random people, events, things, etc. together. Dreams are always what you already had a conscious or even an unconscious thought about at some point in the hours, days, or perhaps weeks leading up to the night you fell asleep and dreamed what you did; otherwise there is no intention to the dream. Dreaming is the process of unraveling the unconscious. Random? Try, Purposeful. Your mind would never put something entirely different with another right then and there. Your mind is constantly processing, and I won't be surprised if it already knows what I will be dreaming about before I have the chance to dream what I will. There is always a purpose. Think back. What you dream of your unconscious had to have come up with at some point in time. Of course you wouldn't know it because it is only then being expressed.

This app is true...but a waste of money. It is taking what your mind is already adapted to do, and persuading you to believe you can't do this on your own. You want proof? Keep the television on at night...Or (at a safe volume) keep your earbuds in and listen to music. I've done both of these - the earbuds were on accident lol. Hey, I like to listen to some music before I go to sleep sometimes, and on that occasion I thought it so soothing I fell asleep instantly haha. But what I dreamed of that night was...well...weirder than usual lol! It's a fun experiment, and you don't have to waste money over it. Let nature run it's course. An app isn't needed :)

April 17, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Reply
    • Chris

Well maybe, but you yourself say your dreams are affected by stimulus you put into your brain as you're falling asleep, whether it be by sleeping with earbuds in or with the tv on, so if that's the case, you actually make the app maker's case. And at 99 cents it's not like it's a huge waste of money. If it sort of works, it's probably worth a buck to play around with once or twice. Heck I've spent way more than that for a night's entertainment :)

April 18, 2012 at 12:24 am | Reply
    • Jake

I agree. Dreams are the brain's way of defragging its hard drive. No need to mess with it, unless bad dreams are chronically imparing your ability to sleep.

April 18, 2012 at 1:56 am | Reply
  42. Stephanie

Unbelievale!

April 17, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Reply
  43. Dreamer

I guess if a million suckers each pay 99¢ for this App, the guy will make a lot of money. Good plan. He will certainly have sweet dreams.

April 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Reply
    • veggiedude

I downloaded it a week ago and it was FREE. They say they will have an Android version around mid-summer. They are suppose to be uploading a iPod/iPad version today, so look for that soon.

April 17, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Reply
  44. aspiringapprentice

No Android version?

Hmph. Apparently androids *don't* dream of electric sheep.

April 17, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Reply
    • Boopboop

Love it. I have a feeling very few get your reference.

April 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Reply
      • AgentJ

Wake up, time to... You know.

April 19, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
      • Nando

Philip K Dick... Nice play on words!

As far as the app goes, I wonder if it induces any lucid dreams. Now THAT would be a cool app!

April 22, 2012 at 2:14 am |
    • Joe Sixpack

Good one!

May 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Reply
    • RunnerWithABlade

Well played my friend...well played.

May 12, 2012 at 12:49 am | Reply
  45. JC&theBoyz

I prefer a good pepperoni pizza to program my dreams...

April 17, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Reply
  46. Greenspam

Romney is good... GOP is God. Rich is my savior

April 17, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Reply
    • Elena

I would suggest that you don't use these pleacs because they are expensive. Look for another job or borrow from a friend. If you can't do the above I would suggest you go to and use referral code ZPKWFG. If you use this code you will get 50% off the fees and no credit check for being a new customer and if you use this code it helps out the local boys and girls club. If you need it to use it use it once and don't continue to use these types of programs.

July 21, 2012 at 2:24 am | Reply
      • Juan

Hey Nick,Congrats on your new app! I just got it this morning and I alaredy fell in love with it. It is certainly more advanced than your previous Shake It app. Love the different processing settings, really neat stuff.Do you develop your apps by yourself? Just curious Thanks.Phil

August 22, 2012 at 2:26 am |
  47. Sharky

The GOP is good for America ... Mitt Romney is your friend ... There were WMDs in Iraq ... Central Banking is good for the economy ...

April 17, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Reply
  48. Aubree

There's already an Inception app....its been out for over a year. Do your research CNN.

April 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Reply
  49. Dolph

Does it account for little kids waking you up 5 times per night?

April 17, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Reply
  50. cleuq

You can do this without spending any money. It's called dream incubation... Funny how it isn't mentioned in the article at all... I wonder why?

Look it up.

April 17, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Reply
    • Beelzebubba

Seriously, how hard is it to figure out that CNN (the most pro-apple newa source besides the NY Times) is promoting Apple yet again. Cut the crap CNN... this is getting really pathetic. Look at the way CNN covered Apples back within the past few days: While it's true that CNN reported the DOJ accuses Apple of colluding with book publishers to fix e-book prices (not legal by any stretch and very sleazy behavior for a near-monopoly tech goliath), what does CNN do next? It post THREE separate pro-Apple articles related to their e-book collusion. One asks 'gee whiz, will ebook prices really change that much. Another implies (using own Apples spiked kool-aid version of the 'truth') that "Hey... Apple is the good guy here... Amazon is the REAL monololy... Apple is just a minor little tech company who wants to save the world from the evil Amazon monopoly!" ... which of course required Apple to raise the price of ebooks for "the good of all consumers" not for Apples profits . Wake up Apple-fans. You are getting jerked around. Apple did the SAME thing to music that they are accusing Amazon of doing (not true... ebook prices FELL AND amazon did not monopolize them) what Apple does with ALL of it's products. If Apple fans want to pay for OBSCENE markups, that's cool with me... but the cannot break the law and affect the rest of us. CNN, please stop being evil.

April 17, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Reply
      • mark

I just find it funny how serious you take an app review. don't you have anything better to do than write a thousand words making a criticism that no one is going to care about?

April 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
      • bring on the trolls...

I looked back and found the same thing... (Apple must give them free toys for such prolific free advertizing).. but you better keep your head down... queue the Apple-trolls (Apple, not surprisingly, also pays some of their staff to post on blogs)

April 18, 2012 at 12:51 am |
      • Mark

So...Beezey....how long have you worked for Google?

April 18, 2012 at 9:03 am |
      • Apple troll alert

RE: "So...Beezey....how long have you worked for Google?" (Mark)

So, Mark, though I suspect your REAL name rhymes with waitin', how long have you been trolling for Apple? BTW: Goo-goo, the worst privacy-rights offender, is just another pig in the trough. It used to be MS was the evil empire. Unfortunately for us all, now Apple and Goog have surpassed even them. At least our gubmint is pretending it has an eye on them now. Miniscule fine for Goo-goo for obstructing investigation into their privacy-rights abuses. Way to go g-men!

April 19, 2012 at 5:25 am |
      • Beelzebubba

Speaking of goo-goo...the "gmailman" video is hilarious... everyone I know loves it

April 19, 2012 at 5:30 am |
    • DJCowboy

Because the article is about the app itself, not methods to induce dreams

April 17, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  51. z154

no android version ? cmon.

April 17, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Reply
    • james

stop being cheap, get some $$$, and buy a REAL phone. It's not a coincidence why most apps debut on iPhone.

April 17, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Reply
      • Patrick

Easier to debut on the underpowered device with the outdated interface.

April 18, 2012 at 9:10 am |
      • iBuyWhatTheOtherSheepBuy

Most apps debut on Windows machines. Most phone apps debut on Android phones (for now). But tell me, smart guy, do you have 500,000 apps installed on your outdated phone. In another half year even microsoft will have more phone apps than you can ever have time to try out. Think the next time Apple ads brainwash you. "Wow... a gazillion apps... even though 95% of them are useless garbage. How many do any people use regularly. Sheeesh.

April 19, 2012 at 1:38 am |
    • bob

most apps come out for iphone first, mainly because there is more money to be made and less headaches. on android u have to test apps on 100's of devices to make sure it works.

April 17, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Reply
      • SixDegrees

"on android u have to test apps on 100's of devices to make sure it works." – Uh, no.

April 18, 2012 at 3:21 am |
      • gotta clue you in

The tools and environments that developers have to use for Apple and for GooGoo/Android are pure crapola. They are third-rate stuff. This is a major reason why MS will likely win the race for mobile devices within a few years of Windows 8 launch later this year. Apple and GooGoo can of course play catch up with Microsoft in this area (they have the money), but Microsoft Visual Studio and other tools are VASTLY superior for dev work, testing, collaboration... YEARS ahead. Wait and see. Windows 8 will be a huge game-changer. You'll see within a few years.

April 19, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
      • AgentJ

This is true.

April 19, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • nea kelley

My Evo is a real phone dude... Iphone is an ok phone.. over priced.. and over controlled...

April 18, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Reply
      • AgentJ

First one: agreed. Second one: its called jailbreaking. :)

April 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  52. Ryan

Check this app out.

April 17, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Reply
  53. DBK

The author seems like a typical CNN writer: more interested in tellin gyou his or her personal response to a story than to actually reporting news. Just reading the comments shows how this amateur gets in the way of the story.

That said, it's an interesting idea, but it isn't anything new. That there's an app for it is new, but people have been trying to influence their dreams, their studies, and a variety of other things during sleep since there have been recording devices. Maybe Apple could build an app to convince CNN executives to hire professionals. That would be a rare achievement.

April 17, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Reply
    • MAS

Ummm, this is a blog, not a news article...

April 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Reply
      • DBK

It's barely that. Again, as with much of CNN, the author wants to write about himself, not the alleged topic. But do feel free to be nasty to me. That makes this much more of a blog.

April 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
    • bthumble

FOX trolls sleep under bridges. Get a life DBK.

April 17, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Reply
    • SNB

I find it interesting that, given how much you obviously dislike CNN, you even read the article...er, sorry...blog. It humors me when people have nothing better to do than post negative comments on websites that they don't even like.

April 17, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Reply
  54. Andrei

Words require conscious left-brain activity to process. For influencing dreams, I'm quite sure that sounds would be much more effective (e.g. birds singing, leaves rustling, engine roaring, whatever...).

April 17, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Reply
  55. erin

This app is insanely outdated. I downloaded this months ago – why are we jumping on this now CNN?

April 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Reply
    • RomneyaSocialist

CNN is a bunch of apple fanboys

April 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Reply
      • Miss Demeanor

You aren't the only one who's noticed... they've been promoting Apple for a long, long time now. It's really unprofessional for a major news org. Check Beelzebubba's comments above...

April 17, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  56. Andre

Will be trying it tonight!

April 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Reply
    • KillerBee

Me too! I will post my thoughts on it tomorrow.

April 18, 2012 at 11:55 am | Reply
  57. duh

the author isn't just skittish, I'd rate him as a level 5 sissypants with liberal tendencies

April 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Reply
    • John Sutter

Well, thanks so much for the ranking. :) - John (said author)

April 17, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Reply
      • bthumble

Don't worry John. Now we know where all the Tea Party groupies went.

April 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  58. AC

Went to the app store on my driod, only saw Sigmund Freud books and 2 apps not released

April 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Reply
    • AC

Reading is fundamental...

May 25, 2012 at 9:38 am | Reply
    • SplashyMe

My husband and i were very jouyos when Albert managed to finish off his preliminary research while using the precious recommendations he received out of your web site. It's not at all simplistic to just find yourself making a gift of tips and tricks which usually most people might have been making money from. And we do know we have got the writer to give thanks to for that. All the explanations you've made, the simple site navigation, the friendships you help to foster it's many wonderful, and it's really helping our son in addition to us feel that that matter is satisfying, and that's extremely indispensable. Thank you for all the pieces!

June 12, 2012 at 5:23 am | Reply
  59. boarddog

As a test, in response to Jon's comment (With whom I agree) let someone you trust with your best interest pick the words so you do not know what they will be prior to sleeping/dreaming and then report the results.

April 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Reply
    • CloseButNoCigar

Outside of the fact that part of the reason it could work is because you are putting conscious effort into choosing specific words. I don't think this guy was going for "high tech mind control", just a tool to help people minimize possible nightmares.

When you've studied psych, then you can have a technical discussion on such things. Until then, you ought to stick the practical....

April 17, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Reply
      • Jon

Again you miss the mark. We are not discussing psych but rather proper testing procedures. In order to properly gather test results that determine the success rate of the application the words should be chosen without the sleepers knowledge. The app itself may only have a 4% success rate instead of 40% if the individuals were not choosing the words themselves and thus causing the process of choosing to skew the results.

April 18, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • rhobere

That's exactly what I was thinking. Your dreams are influenced quite a bit by your own thoughts prior to falling asleep.

April 17, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Reply
  60. Dave

At last... Taylor Swift will be mine.. 8)

April 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Reply
  61. boctorpoo

I like the Dali-like icon.

April 17, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Reply
  62. Reza Okhravi

that is awesome. i'll give it a shot

April 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Reply
  63. James

Hmm, for 99¢ may as well try it!

April 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Reply
  64. Destaphenes

What an interesting app. I'm going to download this and give it a try..

April 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Reply
    • Adelina

Sarah August 27, 2011 Where did you stay in Costa Rica? It looks beautiful. Andrew and I did an all-inclusive for our hmooyonen too and it was great. We stayed at Couples in Negril, Jamaica. We loved Jamaican food! Callaloo and jamaican patties and jerk chicken and curried goat and ackee and breadfruit it was all wonderful. We had lobster a couple of times at the resort, but the best lobster we had was when we wandered away down the beach and found these crazy old Jamaican fisherman cooking over a fire on the beach. They served lobster (caught just before cooking) with fresh lime and scotch bonnet peppers. It was amazing. They called it the Office of Nature and I don't know why, but it worked!

September 25, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Reply
  65. Rick

The author sure seems skittish about flutes and pandas.

That being said, the occasional nightmare can be a bit cathartic and fun and it might be neat to queue one of those up.

April 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Reply
    • waffle

this one time, at band camp...

April 17, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Reply
      • BandCamp

lol waffle. made my day to read your comment.

April 17, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  66. Jon

This is interesting. I am no expert in the human brain but wouldn't the act of selecting the words knowing that you want to incorporate them in your dream have an influence on whether you dream about them? Nevermind having the app deliver the words audibly in your sleep.

On a funny note if you can add words and come up with a combination to influence someone to wet the bed! Dream pranks. lol

April 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Reply
    • Melodykari78

It would be interesting if someone else programmed the words into the app, so you have no idea what will be audible.

April 17, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Reply
      • SomeGuyInNC

Better yet, have the app pick a random set, only to reveal them to you the next morning.

April 17, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • CloseButNoCigar

Probably....but whether it works or not, isn't that what matters?

April 17, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Reply
      • Jon

That was exactly my point. It may not work at all. The very act of YOU selecting the words may trigger you to dream about them. As others have stated it would be better for someone else to select the words or have them randomly generated by the phone. Only then can you truly prove whether or not it works because nothing outside of the phone has influenced the desire to dream about something specific.

April 18, 2012 at 10:21 am |
  67. John

They should partner with zeo, since it knows exactly when you are in rem state.

April 17, 2012 at 11:29 am | Reply