'The Next List': A look at 25 fascinating people
June 29th, 2012

'The Next List': A look at 25 fascinating people

Editor's note: On Saturday, CNN' s "The Next List" will air a one-hour special at 8 p.m. titled "10 Innovators Changing Your World," hosted by Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

Here's a look at 25 fascinating people who have been profiled by CNN's "The Next List."

They include an urban bee keeper, a bionic leg designer and a "space archeologist."

Who's your favorite? Let us know in the comment section at the bottom of the post, and check back for updates each week.

Simon Hauger, co-founder/teacher of the “Sustainability Workshop” school

Taylor Wilson, 18-year-old applied nuclear physicist

Sarah Parcak, Space Archaeologist

Andrew Cote, Urban Beekeeper

Jad Abumrad, Creator and co-host of WNYC's Radiolab

Bjarke Ingels, Architect

Hugh Herr, Prosthetics developer/Bionic man

Dale Dougherty, Founder of MAKE Magazine

Ubaldo Vitali, Silversmith

Blue School, The Blue Man Group takes on education

Jane McGonigal, Game designer, "Superbetter"

Ben Kaufman, Founder of Quirky.com

Cameron Carpenter, Professional organist

David Peterson, Dothraki language creator

Jose Gomez-Marquez, Founder of MIT's Little Devices Group

Syyn Labs, California 'creative art collective'

Dan Ogola, Kenyan healthcare activist

Yves Behar, Designer of $100 laptop

Jake Shimabukuro, Ukulele virtuoso and peacemaker

Scott Snibbe, Interactive Artist/App developer, designer

Tristan Eaton, Graffiti artist turned toy designer

Heather Knight, Social roboticist

Homaro Cantu, Molecular gastronomist chef

Christopher Brosius, Perfumer

Marco Tempest, "Cyber illusionist"

Post by:
Filed under: The Next List • Video
  1. vxcnxcnerureu458

… Unbelievable….Wow… My friend Emily has just married to a handsome wealthy black man. They met through ~~~Blàck ŴhìteHub. ℂom ~~ ~ ~~A Serious black white dating for black & white single s seeking interracial relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. So, if you want to look for people with which you can date, you are at the right place.You can meet(lawyers,busy professionals, benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….)If you are single, perhaps you can have a try.""""""`

June 20, 2013 at 11:13 am | Reply
  2. jimoh jimwisdom

Hi, peeps, pls can smbdy tel me or give me the contacts of the real Venture Capitalist in the World, that will be interested invest in Nigeria. In establishing a company that wil be producing a newly invented absorbent foam of the latest technology. An invention of jimagic foam.
    Contact email: jimoh_holdings@yahoo.com
    Txs 4r,m jimwisdom

September 24, 2012 at 9:29 am | Reply
  3. jimoh jimwisdom balogun

Am glad 4dis opportunity, privilege given 2us we the inventors. Mainly those of us who happens to be an African. Here in Africa, we are not recognized even by our Government, Leaders, Companies, Banks and so on. With my type of person and by the special grace of GOD. Greater ideas do manifest on me on hourly bases. All what i needed now, is be introduce to the right persons or group/organization To sponsor any of my invention.
    My greatest wish is to be known in the World, atlarge as one of the inventors.
    THE NEXT LIST, i hereby put my trust in You. To be announced.
    Txs 4r,m jimwisdom. 2348033966141.

September 3, 2012 at 9:13 am | Reply
  4. angladep

One of the issues with the Blue School is that the children cannot read and struggle in second grade...hum....

September 2, 2012 at 6:36 am | Reply
  5. Neil

I have an invention that will help improve the quality of life for cancer patients during their treatments and will also change our life in a unique way. Please email me with any information that coud help direct me in the right direction. Thanks

August 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Reply
    • Malina

Sep21doobiesmoke15 Q: What does the Pink Panther leave in his litter box?A: Doo-Doo, Doo-Doo, Doo-Doo Doo-Doo Doo-Doo Doo-Doo Doo-DooDoo-Dooget it

August 20, 2012 at 12:32 am | Reply
    • Pranjal

LOL! $1,625!? Who the hell would give so much for something like that!? Maybe it's like you say, maybe I'm not clsasy enough to appreciate that shirt either, but I don't know, I certainly wouldn't buy it. Would YOU? Rips and tears in clothes are okay, but never like THAT! I mean, holy crap, I seriously hope this shirt is intended for men, because if a woman were to wear it, it would be kinda you know, embarrassing, don't you think? (BTW, is that a man or a woman on the pic? LOL). I mean, she might as well not wear anything at all and it would be pretty much the same thing, plus she would save the 1,625! Lol So you have clothes with tears and rips too? That's nice I didn't know you liked those kind of clothes. I'm sure yours actually do look GOOD and you can wear them pretty much anywhere, unlike that pricey rag there lol.

August 22, 2012 at 1:07 am | Reply
  6. KCA

JFK stated ask not what your country can do for you but what can you do for your country

August 5, 2012 at 1:44 am | Reply
  7. KCA

JFK, Stated ask not what CAN YOUR COUNTRY DO FOR YOU BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR FOR YOUR COUNTRY?
    THATS THE DEFICIT QUESTION.

August 5, 2012 at 1:40 am | Reply
  8. Claritza

LETS START A DEBATE ON THIS PAGE- I challenge every railbupcen to bring actual facts to this discussion.Debate Material:- How low taxes and Low regulation are good for the economy.Please be advised:- If your answer is low taxes will let the job creators create jobs…. You are not smart enough to participate.

July 21, 2012 at 12:00 am | Reply
  9. Luis Saldarriaga

Dear Sanjay:
    I am an English teacher in Cali Colombia (South America) and last week, I featured your story about Taylor Wilson in our English Conversation Club Facebook. Everything seemed to be working well until yesterday, when one of my students asked this: Where and how did he get radioactive stuff when he was only 14? (He refered to the fact that at the age of 14, this prodigious boy built a nuclear reactor.) I could only answer him this: " No idea. But if I run into him be sure I'll ask him about it." Now, I'd like to give him a more accurate answer. Any clue?

July 12, 2012 at 11:12 am | Reply
  10. Wolfie

Although I cannot decide which one I like most, I can tell you why: My area of "expertise" is philosophy, for example, existentialism has many concepts but my favorite is one called Existence Precedes Essence meaning we are what we make ourselves out to be. Whether it be good or bad. Why can't Earth have more philosophical roots? We should follow this prime example of Humanity.

July 8, 2012 at 12:16 am | Reply
  11. Josh Schultz

My hat goes off to Dr. Sanjay Gupta, his entire production crew, CNN and all of the featured people. This is the most inspiring TV show I've seen in years. I've been moved by more than a few of the honorees but watching the program about Simon Hauger, co-founder/teacher of the “Sustainability Workshop” school left me with goose bumps (literally covering my entire upper body). Thank you for doing what you are doing – keep up the incredible job and service you are providing especially to these young adults, but also for your local community, the country and globe at large. Great stuff!

July 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Reply
  12. Truth speaks

Simon Hauger!!! I like the idea of keeping kids challenged to better our environment and keeping busy to stay out of trouble. Great blog!

June 30, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Reply
    • ako

why, you don't want to contribute athyning to your own life, do you, lol. You resent paying someone to deliver your baby? How will the doctor eat? Ah with the government paying, then you will not have to pay. Why is your life so elevated that others should be your slave? Are you a god or something. yeah, we should get a palanquin, and little slaves can run you around in it, and pay for everything, for you are so special

July 18, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Reply
  13. BIll

Oh, another geek writing equations on a window. How original.

June 30, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Reply
  14. Mausfink

Are you kidding me? 25 videos? Why not just write an article?

June 30, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  15. Peter

If you like Kpop, then this is the place to be allkpop.com

June 30, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Reply
    • Nikita

ac521@jaredbradford lol, and all have a terrible grasp of the English lgaaunge, and all had the same join date as well but im sure that's just all coincidental. Ipad2tutorials is the win for! Relief is of mine that site of like this comes me!

August 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Reply
  16. Mark

Candy Chang, New Orleans, is an amazing person, making the world a better place. http://www.CandyChang.com

June 30, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  17. ALLofYOUareBRAINWASHED

every single human being is fascinating, regardless of how mundane their existence seems to be.

June 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Reply
    • AllSunny

Hi.My daughter, Lucy was cared for by SCBU when she was born 10 weeks early in Jan '82. She was maerrid 2 weeks ago and we ran a sweepstake on the length of the speeches and would like to give you the proceeds. We have never forgotten the love and care she received and neither has Lucy! Without it she may never have been able to enjoy her very special day on 8th Aug.I will check your website to see about getting the money to you and will get back to you if I have any difficulty.Our best wishes,Sue and Alan Walton.

September 24, 2012 at 8:13 am | Reply
  18. palintwit

No list of fascinating people is complete without Sarah Palin. Having daughter Bristol on that same list would also be very appropriate.

June 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Reply
    • 1love

@PALINTWIT,
      they are talking about people with brains, not without1, leave silly idiots palin&co alone.

June 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Reply
    • misti

Oh Please.........Palin sure has one BIG EGO.......

June 30, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Reply
  19. christierice

There is nothing like a good toy. Tristan Eaton!

June 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  20. Steve

This is the best show on CNN, by far.

June 30, 2012 at 4:23 am | Reply