July 6th, 2012

Ayah Bdeir: inspiring a new generation of innovators

By Poppy Harlow, CNN Correspondent

Editors note: Ayah Bdeir is the founder and inventor of littleBits, a new electronic kind of LEGO that snaps together to create just about anything. Watch Poppy Harlow’s full interview with Ayah on CNN's “The Next List” this Sunday at 2 p.m. ET.

Growing up I was never that into science, math or engineering. I was (and admittedly still am) a total type A personality, did well in school, and did well in my math and science classes. But outside of my advanced chemistry class in high school I never really pushed myself in math or science.

I wish I had.

You see, women are drastically under-represented in math and science in the United States. A recent Commerce Department study found that women hold only 25% of jobs in science, math, technology and engineering (or STEM) but make up 48% of the U.S. workforce.

The number of jobs in STEM is projected to increase by 17% from 2008 to 2018. And college grads in STEM careers make an average of $74,000 a year – 26% more than their non-STEM counterparts. The point is – STEM jobs are good paying jobs, and not enough women have them.

Ayah Bdeir is out to change that. Not just for girls in the U.S. – but for girls and boys, men and women, all around the world. Raised in Beirut, Lebanon, Ayah was different than most of her peers. Her parents pushed her to study science and engineering – and she gravitated towards it.

But what I find fascinating about Ayah is that she is deliberate in NOT making littleBits just for girls. She finds it counterproductive to do so. She told me, “I don’t believe in producing products for girls or for boys. littleBits were not going to be designed for boys…that was [a] deliberate decision. And automatically, they became gender neutral.”

Today, Ayah splits her time between New York City and Beirut building her company. Think of littleBits as electronic LEGOS. When I visited her in her super-cool SoHo workspace, Collab, I got a lesson from the inventor herself.

She told me, “Each littleBit is a pre-assembled, pre-engineered electronic module. One of my favorite things is seeing the first time people interact with littleBits. Suddenly their faces light up.”

It's true. Children and adults of all ages are learning how to build things or power toy cars - just by snapping together a few littleBits. Bottom line – they’re engaged.

Indeed, part of Bdeir's mission is to “get more girls into science and technology,” as she puts it, but also to “change the way we educate kids.”

It’s a monumental goal. But I think if we had more people like Ayah setting out to achieve it, we’d have greater success.

Post by:
Filed under: Science • Tech • The Next List • Video
  1. In home personal training

Way to go Ayah Bdeir I wish i had these tools when i was young. This idea is so powerful. I think it's just such a powerful educational tool.

April 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  2. Louanne Dinola

Very good publish. I be taught a single issue tougher on totally diverse blogs everyday. It will in the least moments be stimulating to study written content from unique writers and stick to a bit of 1 factor from their retailer. I’d favor to utilize some using the information on my weblog whether or not you don’t brain. Natually I’ll supply you with a hyperlink on your own world-wide-web blog site. Thanks for sharing.

November 3, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Reply
  3. Laura Reasoner Jones

We are using these and improving on them in my all-girls GEMS clubs–www.gemsclub.org. This is a fabulous invention!

May 25, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Reply
  4. A S

While this is "nice", there are sets for 5 times cheaper from Elenco on amazon and other places

November 18, 2012 at 9:37 am | Reply
  5. tqogpujuo

louis vuitton pas cher srxnfrfo sacoche louis vuitton mkrrxkyb sac louis vuitton pas cher rxkcjzgy http://www.saclouisvuittonsortie.fr/

October 4, 2012 at 10:53 am | Reply
  6. Cheap Red Bottom Shoes

You are so cool! I read a few words in these before, I don't think. So nice to search out some original idea on this subject. Really thank you. In fact this site is hope on the Internet, with a little creativity. Useful work to bring new Internet innovation!

September 15, 2012 at 4:17 am | Reply
  7. FRANCISCO SALAZAR

How can I get a starter kit for my grandson and for me, please the sooner I introduce my grandson to commitment to society through S.T.E.M.

July 18, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Reply
  8. MKM

This just fascinates me. Want to check it out myself. Love people with visions of positive possibilities.

July 18, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Reply
  9. Leila Creber

Inspiring product & innovator.

July 12, 2012 at 8:03 am | Reply
  10. Tammy Lee McClure

I want to meet this woman and give her a BIG HUG!!! I don't know how I survived certain descriminations as a female electrical engineer but hopefully the next generation of girls will play on fair ground moving forward. Bravo, Ayah!!!

July 8, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  11. FRANCISCO SALAZAR

HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED, I HAVE A 19 MONTH GRANDSON AND WOULD LIKE TO EXPOSE HIM TO MANY THINGS EPECIALLY IN SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS, THX AYAH BDEIR

July 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Reply
  12. Michael Cristol

Fantastic! I ordered the starter kit for myself and my 84 year old mother!

July 8, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Reply