Meet the inflatable, 'invisible' bike helmet
August 17th, 2012

Meet the inflatable, 'invisible' bike helmet

By Doug Gross, CNN

Hey, cyclists! Want to look more stylish while riding and still avoid the inconvenience of a cracked skull?

Then a pair of Swedish designers have got just the helmet for you - provided you're willing to fork over about $600 and aren't afraid of looking a little like a deployed airbag when you fall.

The newly released Hovding (no, Americans, that's not a futon from Ikea) is billed as The Invisible Bicycle Helmet. Begun in 2005 as a project for a master's-level industrial design course,  the blow-up helmet is housed in a pouch that, when wrapped around your neck, looks a little like a puffed-up ski-jacket collar.

But, using gyroscopes and accelerometers and other electronic sensors, the Hovding can sense a bike crash and then immediately blow up an airbag of sorts to surround the cyclist's head.

On their website, Anna Haupt and Terese Alstin said they first began mulling the idea when Sweden passed a law requiring everyone 15 years old or younger to wear a helmet when cycling. The law spurred talk that all cyclists, not just children, should be made to wear a helmet - something that struck them as a fashion disaster.

"To people like us, who wouldn't be seen dead in a polystyrene helmet, the thought that we might be forced to wear one by law was cause for concern," they say in a post on their site. "Producing a bicycle helmet that people would be happy to put on looked like a much better way to go than legislation forcing people to wear one or else. "

The collar is now available with either of two "shells" - one black and the other a multi-colored paisley design. Both are modeled on the Hovding site by a chic-looking model (who, to her credit, also gamely wears the fully inflated helmet), and more designs are promised.

When the sensors are triggered, helium gas is deployed to fill up the nylon bag. Creators say it takes only a tenth of a second to fully inflate.

The Hovding (Swedish for "chieftain") also includes a "black box" that records the 10 seconds of data about a cyclist's movements before and during a crash. The creators ask users to send them the box after accidents, so they can continue to refine and improve the helmet.

Along the way, Haput and Alstin have employed the help of a brain-trauma specialist and have gotten millions of dollars of funding from investors. So the question now is - will anyone actually buy this thing?

At least for now, the price could be a hurdle. When converted from Swedish kroner, the helmet and one collar cost about $600.

Post by:
Filed under: Design • entrepreneurs • Fashion • Innovation • Science • Tech • Uncategorized
  1. mindspeakspps

HI great Thing seems very comfortable!

August 22, 2014 at 3:42 am | Reply
  2. Habibi

i?I normally cant locate it in me to care enough to leaves a comment for articles on the web but this was truly pretty great, thanks and maintain it up, Ill check back again

November 28, 2013 at 3:34 am | Reply
  3. Dan Mcginnity

Cycling is widely regarded as a very effective and efficient mode of transportation[5] optimal for short to moderate distances. Bicycles provide numerous benefits by comparison with motor vehicles, including the sustained physical exercise necessarily involved in cycling, that cycling involves a reduced consumption of fossil fuels, less air or noise pollution, much reduced traffic congestion, easier parking, greater maneuverability, and access to both roads and paths.`-

Our new web site
    <http://www.caramoan.ph

May 1, 2013 at 2:51 am | Reply
  4. China Hood

Thanks for another magnificent post. The place else could anyone get that type of info in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I'm at the search for such info. China Hood http://www.robinhoodchina.info

January 31, 2013 at 5:15 am | Reply
  5. Quan

The WP community is amzaing. I had the privilege of meeting Ptah at the Austin WordCamp this past December. So sorry he's going through this. It just goes to show that one's life can be catastrophically altered in the blink of an eye.

October 24, 2012 at 5:09 am | Reply
  6. Lucilene

That percentage is about right here in Springfield. Many cleolge students I see riding don't wear helmets easily half or more. And the working poor that I see on bikes these days (forced there by hard economic times) are almost always without a helmet.

October 22, 2012 at 11:54 am | Reply
  7. gdfp

In today's news story about the stratos jump I read that the jumper's "fully pressurized suit was tested to withstand temperatures as high as 100 degrees Fahrenheit ". (http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/15/tech/innovation/space-jump-tech/#cnn-disqus-area)

He was lucky not to have a little fever, otherwise his suit may have melted ;-)).

October 15, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Reply
  8. Melanie

Wow! What's next ? An inflatable bike body suit... I think not. But it is possibe.. I mean i've walked into a lampost with a thick and strong balloon infront of my face and I still felt the full face blow.. (By accident) If i could feel a full face plant into a lampost when I'm just walking I don't think I would like a bigger and a bike 'helmet' for what you could probably feel if you fell head over handle bars, It's total noncence!! Jheeze! I believe next time people or 'INVENTORS' how they may put it should think of something that is worth people's time, money and importantly SAFETY! LOL! :D

October 15, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Reply
  9. Roger Hofer

Suddenly a small spill on your bike becomes a $600 ordeal. Not sure if I'd want to sign up for that. A regular helmet does the same without costing a fortune. Might not look quite a "cool" but for me, that's okay.

September 13, 2012 at 3:26 am | Reply
  10. DNP

People think bicycle helmets prevent your skull from being crushed? Motocross/motorcycle helmets sure. I can't see the styrofoam crap that is currently the "standard" doing more than saving my scalp, and possibly reducing a concussion under the narrowest of margins.

August 22, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  11. Scott

Ok, so after the fall, how do you deflate the helmet so you can finish your ride?

August 22, 2012 at 10:22 am | Reply
    • jesse

You don't.

The mortician has to do it with a scalpel...

August 22, 2012 at 10:32 am | Reply
    • Richard Burton

It comes with a giant pin.

August 22, 2012 at 11:40 am | Reply
  12. Reticuli

That's really cool. I have a slight worry it might accidentally inflate and either strangle me, or cause me to have a wreck and break some bones. I also suspect if you get hit by a car it won't be of much use, except for maybe the bounce off the car when you're about to hit the pavement. But the initial impact with the car might be more problematic than a conventional helmet. Still nice, though. Maybe it could also be useful for rodeos and horseback riding?

August 22, 2012 at 1:34 am | Reply
  13. Tex71

"Hovding" is the Swedish word for chieftan. All IKEA products, incidentally, have names that are Swedish or Norwegian nouns or adjectives, generally place-names or a reference to the object's function or aesthetic quality. It would be a better world if Americans were as well-versed in other languages as other folks are in English.

August 21, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Reply
  14. dowhatifeellike

And here I thought my cycling clothing and gear was pretty stylish... at least to other cyclists...

August 21, 2012 at 11:41 am | Reply
    • Reticuli

only other cyclists ;-)

August 22, 2012 at 1:35 am | Reply
  15. Steve

No good for mountain biking where minor falls happen all the time = out $600.

August 21, 2012 at 9:37 am | Reply
    • STOP THE MASKED NINJAS

I was voting for Obama until he sent Masked Ninjas to shut down all state approved medical marijuana dispensaries in San Diego.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5F_OmaLqbE&w=640&h=390]

Please Help Us...! STOP the Masked Ninjas...!

CALL your Senator, CALL your Representative, CALL all your friends and tell them what is happening to America.

August 21, 2012 at 9:50 am | Reply
  16. Arthur

If you read about bike helmets you'll learn that the bigger they are the more easily they can snap the neck by catching on something on the ground when the rider goes down. The ideal helmet fits very snugly on the head – as thin as possible while giving protection against impact. It just takes a better design to make things much safer. Wearing a helmet is smart but not something that sticks out and is very thick. Think of those handy visors. Nice when riding into the sun but are one more thing that can break that delicate neck of yours. Form fitting is the smart way.

August 21, 2012 at 1:57 am | Reply
    • jkdahl89

Wow, I had never thought of that before. I'll definitely be keeping that in mind the next time I buy a bike helmet... or a bike for that matter lol. I hadn't thought about a bike helmet aiding in an injury instead of saving your skull...

August 21, 2012 at 9:05 am | Reply
      • Richard Burton

This is one of the proposed reasons as to why there is no safety benefit from mass helmet wearing. Some good stuff here http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1039.html

August 21, 2012 at 10:13 am |
      • Tom, Tom, the Pipers Son

Yea they’ve used the same type of argument on every safety device. Sadly for them the statistics who you are safer with a helmet, seatbelt or life vest. It’s just people making excuses to not use them.

August 21, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  17. Dora Smith

This "invisible helmet" looks like one of the Dutchess of York's daughters' hats. Hah, hah, hah. I sure won't be wearing it.

August 20, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Reply
  18. Richard Burton

This is the fourth or fifth time this news story has been recycled, isn't that enough? There must be a warehouse full of them that they just can't shift.

August 20, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Reply
  19. s~

is this helmet mandated by Obama?

August 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Reply
    • Mancee Grayce

Only for the most profoundly retarded, such as yourself s~.

August 20, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Reply
      • food

/agree

August 20, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
  20. Al Rivera

I predict alot of exploding heads due to faulty inflation devices.

August 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Reply
    • Anonymous

And you may ask yourself, "My god, how did I get here?"

August 20, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Reply
  21. penguins42

How can it tell the difference between a fall and, for example, going really fast down a steep hill? And what happens in the event that a fall does happen, but the helmet doesn't inflate? Who's at fault there? Can we really guarantee that this would work just as well as a tradition (gasp, but not stylish!) helmet? Like people before me have commented, worrying about how stylish your bicycle helmet is is a first world problem.

August 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Reply
  22. Jeff

This may be the dumbest story I've ever read...seriously "we don't want to wear a normal helmet because it's not fashionable" so how fashionable is a split skull idiots

August 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Reply
    • Laxman25

What happens when you trip on a rock? :)

August 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Reply
      • Laxman25

I I wouldnt trust a giant marshmellow to protect my head. Its just air. What happens when you fall face first or skid(popping the marshmellow). Pure Sillyness I tell ya :)

August 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
    • Jolka

This is often an extremely mluevaors tool that you're most likely providing and you also give that separate without charge. I adore viewing web pages of which fully understand on-line about presenting a top quality aid without cost. Them? erinarians this out of date precisely what encircles will come approximately plan. Your own house absolutely!

May 19, 2013 at 8:21 am | Reply
    • spjzrpqji

CojgFJ nrcwpzlkhkah

May 21, 2013 at 6:26 am | Reply
    • dxemrvhfew

GnVnzd ezgvrdpxvcef

May 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Reply
  23. jdr24

I'm glad to see these engineers have societys needs in perspective. Who hasn't had the dilemma of not being stylish while they ride their bike? lol. Talk about first-world problems!

August 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Reply
  24. Ben

What part of that was stylish?

August 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Reply
  25. Owl96

I started wearing a bike helmet 25 years ago, not because I wanted to be safe, but because I was making my children wear them when they started riding and I did not want them to say: "Why do I need to wear one if daddy doesn't?" It was to set the example, no other reason. I would not wear one of these, because others need to see that we really wear helmets so they will wear one too. There is no way you are going to look like a prim and proper model on a bike.

August 20, 2012 at 10:37 am | Reply
    • Leon

Que?

August 20, 2012 at 10:41 am | Reply
  26. sumguy2006

So we trade a nice solid ventilated helmet, for a hot ridiculous looking collar zipped around our neck?
    Sorry, this is a complete failure.

August 20, 2012 at 10:29 am | Reply
    • hkw8

Read the article – it will inflate when crashed – but otherwise stays hidden.

August 20, 2012 at 11:43 am | Reply
      • elvis

Read the article – the helmet inflates from the ridiculous collar.

August 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • DDD

I think the collar would be more comortable and less sweaty.

August 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  27. Froman

My mountain bike helmet gets scratched all the time scraping low hanging tree branches. This helmet would not help defecting rogue branches. I got the Metz full face XC helmet now, protects the face too.

August 20, 2012 at 10:20 am | Reply
  28. Dawn J Benko

I love all the people, calling other people "idiots" and dimwits. Seems a lot like the pot calling the kettle black. Just sayin'.

August 20, 2012 at 9:26 am | Reply
    • solex

Yeah. That's almost as annoying as putting "Just Sayin'" at the end of your post...

August 20, 2012 at 11:53 am | Reply
      • Dawn J Benko

Guess I hit a nerve. Just sayin'.

August 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
      • Chris

(directed at Dawn, not solex, but for some reason you can't reply to Dawn's comment below)

Or not actually making a point in your post. Why does calling someone an idiot because they'd rather suffer brain trauma rather than risk looking not quite as 'chic' as they could make the caller an idiot themselves? If you want to risk your life simply because you're worried about how you look, hey, I'm all for it, and I actually agree that the state shouldn't bother to protect you from your own stupidity, but I don't see how someone pointing out that stupidity qaulifies as an idiot.

You know, just sayin'...

August 20, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
      • Dawn J Benko

What are you, twelve? Cut the name calling and try growing up. Just sayin'.

August 20, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
      • Chris

So rather than address my question, you call me immature, and then tell me to stop the name calling, despite the fact that I never actually called anyone a name, unlike you who have done so twice, both in your original post (calling a number of people who commented hypocrites simply for stating their opinion that they think choosing personal appearance over personal safety is stupid) and, as I've already noted in your response to me.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

August 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
  29. Doug

If anyone actually thinks this would deploy in time before your head hits the pavement or a tree should think twice.

August 20, 2012 at 9:24 am | Reply
    • Tempo36

Well Doug. According to their literature it deploys in 0.1 seconds. Their crash test videos support that it can inflate with plenty of time.

They also, clearly, on their site state it isn't for mountain biking, so you shouldn't be running into an overhanging tree branch with it.

August 22, 2012 at 1:41 am | Reply
  30. Justin

Anyone else offended by the Ikea sly comment at the beginning....??

August 20, 2012 at 9:11 am | Reply
    • Dawn J Benko

Why would anyone waste time and energy being offended by the writer's lame attempt at humor.

August 20, 2012 at 9:28 am | Reply
      • douggross

Yeah ... that guy couldn't write his way out of a wet paper bag!

August 20, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  31. bikes_apart

This is a start for making bikers safe from themselves now if we can only require people on bikes to pass a test and have a biking license then we can protect motorists from "bikers" on a huffy/cruiser from riding down a street going 5mph in a 45 mph zone........

If they are to be considered vehicles, ticket them all because I have yet to see a bike going within 5 of the speed limit.

August 20, 2012 at 9:07 am | Reply
    • DaveD

This is why most major streets in most American cities should give up one lane as protected bicycle lane. This will keep the two vehicles from getting in each others way.

August 20, 2012 at 9:28 am | Reply
    • slewatha

Funny, protect cars from bikes.

August 20, 2012 at 10:17 am | Reply
    • pm;k

i guess you dont see road bikers then cause most can do 45 to 50

August 21, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Reply
      • ofvguvnc

JtMSSh khshkntmychi

February 27, 2013 at 10:33 am |
  32. brian

This only can protect you from crashes, nothing else (and I doubt it even does a great job of that). A permanent helmet can protect you from so much more, including projectiles, etc. What a monumental fail. At least use a cyclist model too for crying out loud

August 20, 2012 at 8:47 am | Reply
  33. jim

What's with the heroin model?

August 20, 2012 at 8:03 am | Reply
  34. DP

There's a Video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVZ0qiA-jBY&feature=player_embedded

August 20, 2012 at 7:46 am | Reply
  35. sumday

would be nice to see a clip of it deploying around someone's head.

August 20, 2012 at 7:32 am | Reply
    • Tempo36

Then look at their website. They have videos.

August 22, 2012 at 1:42 am | Reply
  36. Brian

Pony up, suckers.

August 20, 2012 at 6:59 am | Reply
  37. sdf

Fail. Move on.
    Let me know if there's any biker who is willing to pay $600 for it.

August 20, 2012 at 6:53 am | Reply
  38. aseghir

If the model looked less sinister, the idea (a good one!) would stand a better chance.

August 20, 2012 at 5:57 am | Reply
    • ycpojz

rSErlj afqmlebropma

February 27, 2013 at 10:34 am | Reply
  39. Richard Burton

Just how many times can you recycle a story before no-one at all reads it?

This "news" has been repeated so many times it must surely be a cliche by now.

August 20, 2012 at 4:25 am | Reply
  40. Flagrant Foul

If someone wants NOT to wear a helmet, then they should simply forfeit being able to sue if their head gets mashed. That way they have both freedom to choose and take responsibility for their own choice.

August 20, 2012 at 3:32 am | Reply
    • BeerBrewerDan

And when they get their head smushed and have to use insurance to fix it (or try) my premiums go up. I pay for the idiots who smoke and get lung cancer and I pay for the idiots who don't wear helmets.

August 20, 2012 at 8:15 am | Reply
      • DDD

don't like the concept, don't buy insurance then.

August 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  41. John

It can predict a crash? (Ie Black box records "before"...)

August 20, 2012 at 3:09 am | Reply
    • anon

Presumably, it records 20 seconds worth of data in a continuous loop and shuts off 10 seconds after a crash - giving 10 seconds of data on either side of the crash.

August 20, 2012 at 4:27 am | Reply
    • arifcpp

GFzFGs qvdsdeanvfto

February 27, 2013 at 10:34 am | Reply
  42. Pure Reason

Lot of misplaced criticism on this board (shocking!). I think the point here is that it is an option that will get more people to wear a head protecting (life saving) device in the first place. That is the job of designers; to solve problems (people not wearing helmets for aesthetics or comfort) through thinking of alternatives and iterations. And, yes, it makes sense it's pricier – it is new, technologically advanced, and part of a start up. If it truly is a good design, it will stick around, be further developed, picked up by consumers and other companies, and go down in cost. I just hate when people automatically react negatively to new, unconventional ideas as if they aren't worth it. This is how we advance.

August 20, 2012 at 12:50 am | Reply
    • motodude

i love the idea...would like to have one for my motor bike...

August 20, 2012 at 4:22 am | Reply
      • Tempo36

On their FAQ they clearly say it's not meant for motor bikes or mountain biking. It's a city/road device.

August 22, 2012 at 1:44 am |
    • jfiosi

Thanks for this comment and your reasoning. I agree wholeheartedly. Too many knee-jerk reactions to a possibly great product. Hopefully, Darwin's laws will kick in and we will lose some of those fools who don't see the value of a product/idea whose sole purpose is to save someone from a serious head injury.

August 20, 2012 at 7:50 am | Reply
      • Jed

Can you put a spot on this sight so people can sign their chrdeiln up for sports online just in case they can't make it to the sign ups in person?

February 26, 2013 at 4:48 pm |
      • jicjzct

pUkhnA inhxlksztjsd

February 27, 2013 at 10:33 am |
  43. JeffinIL

How does wearing a device around your neck that resembles a science fiction prison collar that will blow your head off if you try to escape make you stylish?

August 19, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, the Pipers Son

Those idiots who make excuses for not wearing helmets are just going to make one not to wear this. I believe everyone should have the right to choose. But there is a smart choice and a dumb choice.

August 20, 2012 at 8:35 am | Reply
  44. Aly

What happened to the good old days when you rapped yourself in bubble wrap and duct tape.... or was that just me :) No, I like the design, wish the price was lower, and maybe not so enveloping around the neck area, would have to see a demonstration to be sold on the idea.

August 19, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Reply
  45. a slozomby

$600 for a 1 time use helmet?
    i get that a helmet doesnt look good w/ an evening dress. but how many people actually ride a bike in an evening dress.

August 19, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Reply
    • Mischka

Helmets are supposed to be "one time only" anyhow. I worked as a thrift store manager, and we were not allowed to sell bicycle helmets unless they were bought as overage from a store, brand new. The reason? If the helmet has been in a crash, it may not show on the exterior, but it can break down the materials in the interior, making it weakened in case of another crash, thus not protecting you as well the second time around. If you have crashed and had impact on your helmet, you're better off purchasing a new helmet.

August 20, 2012 at 1:48 am | Reply
      • a slozomby

it really depends on the crash. a low speed washout will generally not cause sufficient impact to ruin a helmet. but may deploy this airbag. where as a high speed ( for a bicycle 20+mph) collision the helmet needs replacing.

August 20, 2012 at 2:45 am |
      • Tom, Tom, the Pipers Son

Mischka is correct.

August 20, 2012 at 8:38 am |
  46. what if

so what if it doesn't deploy.. or deploys too late? OR if it randomly deploys when you dont expect it to like while you're just goin down some street and you freak the hell out and crash straight into a car. what if they put too much pressure in it and your head blows up!?
    eff that noise ill stick to the good ol hard hat thank ya very much

August 19, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Reply
    • Tempo36

What if your plane drops out of the sky? What if your car engine blows up? What if your fire extinguisher is over pressurized and blows you across the room when you use it?!

Could it be that these engineers actually looked at the physics of bike accidents and built an accurate model? Car manufacturers figured this out with airbags and you don't see those randomly deploying in stop and go traffic do you?

If you look at their site, they describe some of the process that went into the design. They've done real word testing. Presumably if this thing was as faulty as you seem concerned that it is, they would have had a hard time getting funding and making it to market.

August 22, 2012 at 1:50 am | Reply
      • Sarah

Thank you Tempo! I totally agree the pricetag on this thing makes it stupid. But all the people saying "oh but it might not inflate" or "oh, it will inflate without accident" are kind of missing the point that this has gone through EU safety testing. It's not like the developers just designed a balloon that blows up when jerked. Any safety device can fail. Airbags, parachutes. Even poorly fitted helmets. This is no difference.

But no way in hell I'd pay $600 for it...

November 5, 2013 at 5:14 am |
  47. DamnDesert

Just the thing I want while I'm riding hard and trying to stay cool, something nice and hot around my neck.

August 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Reply
    • jdoe

This is for commuters, not roadracers. And I would imagine the weather in Sweden is such that this device would be a welcome addition.

August 20, 2012 at 1:20 am | Reply
  48. FedUpwithLA

The thing is very ugly. Can we move on to another story, CNN?

August 19, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Reply
    • Gina

I like how you ask that as though this is the only story CNN currently has available.

August 19, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Reply
  49. Brian

What happens when you are your mnt biking and crash in a rock that pops the airbag? This is a clear case of over engineering the simple solution of wearing a helmet.

August 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Reply
    • a slozomby

i dont think mtb was the intended target, more like hipsters on $1k+ commuter bikes.

August 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Reply
      • casual observer

I own a Hit Air airbag motorcycle jacket. nearly eliminates the possibility of spinal chord or neck injury in a mototcycle crash. It works on a very similar principle as this helmet device and is worthe EVERY PENNY.
        I wonder if this helmet cant be used for motorcycles??????????

August 19, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
      • a slozomby

according the the hurt report 73% of motorcycle accidents result in injuries to the face of the rider. this offers no face protection.

August 20, 2012 at 2:39 am |
    • Tempo36

Their site specifically says not to use it mountain biking or motorcycling. They also say that it's a high impact synthetic fabric that's meant to withstand sliding across the concrete. Presumably it isn't puncture proof, but neither is a helmet.

August 22, 2012 at 1:53 am | Reply
  50. Gumball Saint

"To people like us, who wouldn't be seen dead in a polystyrene helmet..."

In the event of a collision that causes head trauma, there's a better opportunity of this idiot being seen dead without one than with one.

August 19, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Reply
  51. willnAtlanta

Um, if you need a bike helmet, um, wear a freakin' bike helmet !!! Duh!

August 19, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Reply
  52. Steve-O

Question: Once this thing is deployed in a crash is it done? Can the Hovding be re-used/recharged with helium? A normal cycling helmet needs to be thrown out once it has experienced impact. But to replace a $100 plastic lid is better than a $600 fashion statement.

August 19, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Reply
    • Tiny Thompson

First – wow, you're paying $100 for a bike helmet?

Second – I would think that anything that saves your life during an accident might stand outside questions of money. Are you really going to be upset if you buy one of these and save your life. Is your life worth $600?

August 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Reply
      • Dawn J Benko

So how much SHOULD one pay for a helmet?

August 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
      • ThatTexasGuy

$100 does seem high. You can get an excellent helmet for much less than that.
        But not every spill means having to replace your (regular) helmet. People get into situations
        all the time where they crash, but they've slowed down enough that it's a minor thing
        and the helmet (and everything else) is just fine. But if your "hovding" deploys when
        you hit a particularly big bump you're out $600.

August 19, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
      • Tempo36

Their site says they offer a discount or replacement if yours deploys and you send it back to them for analysis. They don't say how much the discount is.

August 22, 2012 at 1:55 am |
  53. Dawn J Benko

That collar doesn't look like it would be all that comfortable to wear on a long bike ride.

August 19, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Reply
  54. Attn2Deetale

It looks like it might not be effective, or work at all, during a full frontal forehead collision...like it will just get pushed straight back off your head, if you hit at the right angle. Designers, what say you?

August 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Reply
    • Kevin

"Haput and Alstin have employed the help of a brain-trauma specialist and have gotten millions of dollars of funding from investors."

August 19, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Reply
    • a slozomby

most people dont wear full face, heck a large percentage of motorcycle riders dont wear full face.
      so the same problem would exists regardless

August 19, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Reply
      • Derrrrp

Read the article you dimwit. This has nothing to do with motorcycles.

August 20, 2012 at 12:00 am |
      • a slozomby

derrp: the impact area's are the same. if your crashing going forward your face is in front.

in both the most common serious injuries are below the elbow, below the knee and the head.

August 20, 2012 at 2:49 am |
    • Tempo36

I thought the same thing but on their website it has a video of a face first crash test. Looks like it works.

That said, almost no bikers in my experience fasten their helmet properly to protect against a face first collision. Put on your helmet, reach up and push back HARD on the brim in front of your face. If it slides back and exposes your forehead, guess what's going to happen in an accident? Helmet slides back = forehead + pavement.

August 22, 2012 at 1:58 am | Reply
  55. Eva Sik

When you ride your bike, aren't you suppose to wear a helmet already?

August 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Reply
    • Derrrrp

It's optional.

August 20, 2012 at 12:00 am | Reply
  56. SurleyBikerDude

ROFLMAO....!!!!!

Seriously...who lies awake at nights dreaming this crap up..?

August 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Reply
    • Chris

Smart People

August 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Reply
      • Rob

Not some numb-skull... like you.

August 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
  57. jim

i'l take a full body inflatable, why not, it's your life, who cares what you look like.

August 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Reply
  58. PED

Small price to pay to save your life!

August 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Reply