March 29th, 2013

David Peterson and the languages of 'Game of Thrones'

Editor's NoteDavid Peterson is the creator of the Dothraki language used in the HBO show "Game of Thrones." Peterson also is a member of the Language Creation Society.  A 30-minute profile of Peterson will air on CNN's "The Next List" this Sunday at 2:30 p.m. ET.

By David Peterson, Special to CNN

It's now a little over a year from the day when CNN’s "Next List" crew came to Orange County to do an episode on my language-creation work. At the time, I really had no idea what the coming year held in store for me, so I did my best to look busy.

I had recently joined Syfy's "Defiance" as a language creator, but hadn't yet done any serious translation work, and while I'd finished my work on season two of HBO's "Game of Thrones," there'd been no discussions about season three up to that point. I remained hopeful, but that March I didn't really have much going on.

During my first interview on the morning of twelfth, the "Next List" producer asked me if I'd be working on the Valyrian language for the show's upcoming season. Immediately alarm bells went off, as I started to think back and wonder, "Did I accidentally say anything?"

Though there had been no discussions, I and many assumed that some form of the Valyrian language would make an appearance in season three, but at that stage, any such discussion would have been premature, and certainly would have been covered by a non-disclosure agreement. Trying not to look too perturbed, I asked why she would ask that, and she told me that when she'd interviewed executive producers Dan Weiss and David Benioff earlier, they'd said I'd be working on Valyrian this season.

And that's how I learned I'd be creating a new language for season three of "Game of Thrones."

For those tuning in to the "Game of Thrones" premiere this Sunday, you'll still have to suffer through a few subtitles, but the audio will sound a bit different from seasons past. Though there are a number of Dothraki speakers yet alive on the show, there's surprisingly little Dothraki this season. In its place is quite a bit of dialogue in two related languages: High and Low Valyrian.

In George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire," High Valyrian was meant to occupy the place Latin occupies in the Western world. Latin was the language of the Roman Empire, spoken commonly for several centuries in and around the Italian peninsula and beyond. It's the mother language for all the Romance languages spoken today (Italian, Spanish, French, Catalan, Romanian, etc.).

High Valyrian, in turn, was the language of Martin's Valyrian Empire, an expansive domain that existed for several millennia before it was destroyed by a mysterious event cryptically referred to as the Doom. In its purest form, High Valyrian still exists as a language of scholarship and refinement, though its impact on the region was far greater.

High Valyrian was taken up and creolized by the old Ghiscari Empire, where it's still spoken at the time of action in the books and the show. And it served as the mother language for the various Low Valyrian languages spoke in the Free Cities of Volantis, Braavos, Myr, Pentos, Lys, etc.

This season, I worked on two of the Valyrian languages: High Valyrian (the oldest form of the language) and the Low Valyrian spoken in and around Slaver's Bay. To translate sentences into the latter variety of Valyrian, I would first translate them into High Valyrian, and then apply a series of phonological, semantic and grammatical changes to the text. The resulting language is approximately as different from High Valyrian as Old Spanish is from Classical Latin.

If you watch the "Game of Thrones" premiere, you'll hear some of the Slaver's Bay variety of Valyrian. Both Nathalie Emmanuel and Dan Hildebrand do an outstanding job with their lines. I was extraordinarily pleased with their performances, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

And even if languages aren't your thing, I hope the Valyrian won't distract you from what I think is a truly superlative premiere for season three.

Post by:
Filed under: Innovation • Language • The Next List • Thinkers • TV • Video
  1. http://xtremenoreviews.net/

There’s so much to say about this post that I don’t have any idea where to start. This is impressive! I loved everything about it.

December 28, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Reply
  2. Danette Caimi

The following time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my option to learn, however I really thought youd have one thing attention-grabbing to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you would repair when you werent too busy searching for attention.

December 10, 2013 at 3:05 am | Reply
  3. Brooke Galvez

The next time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as a lot as this one. I imply, I do know it was my option to learn, however I actually thought youd have one thing interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you could possibly repair if you happen to werent too busy searching for attention.

December 5, 2013 at 3:08 am | Reply
  4. Elvis Voisard

This web site is known as a stroll-through for the entire data you wished about this and didn�t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and also you�ll positively uncover it.

December 3, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Reply
  5. Kenya Jasica

There are some interesting time limits on this article however I don�t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity however I'll take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want extra! Added to FeedBurner as effectively

December 1, 2013 at 3:12 am | Reply
  6. Shane Katzenberger

I drop a comment each time I like a guide on a internet site or if I have something to valuable to contribute on the conversation. It's a result from the fire communicated in the publish I browsed. And after reading this write-up I was basically moved enough to drop a comment here

November 22, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  7. mombo

More hype to try and get more people to watch the show.

September 6, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Reply
  8. vxcnxcnerureu458

Unbelievable…Wow… My friend Lynn has just married to a handsome black man.
    They met through ~~ MixêdMàtchìng. ℂom~~Here is the best, largest and most successful interracial dating site for black and white singles seeking interracial relationships, friendships, dating ,love and more.. You can meet (lawyers,busy professionals, benefactors. models, celebrities, etc….). If you are single ,have a try.
    """""""`

June 20, 2013 at 11:14 am | Reply
  9. Todd

I haven't seen Game of Thrones, but this makes me want to. Not many Americans are aware of the subtle effects languages and dialects can have in shaping various cultures and how much the contrasts of linguistic diversity can help us in even understanding our own language better. It's the seemingly small details like this that can make the difference between a really great show or movie and a mediocre one.

June 11, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Reply
  10. hotel gran bahia principe tulun todo incluido

of course like your website however you have to test the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to inform the reality nevertheless I'll definitely come again again.

June 6, 2013 at 8:47 am | Reply
  11. CB

The last episode was the best. We got to see Kalesi's little cans again. In any language that's a good thing.

May 24, 2013 at 10:24 am | Reply
  12. onuvob97

actually fantastic factors here, just thanks ??? ??Business Movers in Orange County

May 18, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Reply
  13. AlphaMale

Valyrian,high and low is so cool. My best part was were Danerys Stomborn ordered the unsolid to slay their masters

May 17, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Reply
  14. Common Sense

zzzz

nobody cares but the craziest of fans.

May 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Reply
    • John

The guy cashing the check for writing it certainly cares...

May 11, 2013 at 9:01 am | Reply
  15. b_randon

you are all boring and if you dont htink so then u can just not watch the shwows;l
    ljasdf

May 10, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  16. b_randon

yo yo pokeo this is smoking hot like my wife

May 10, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  17. b_randon

Maby you should just use english it is just one of the most used languages in the world

May 10, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Reply
  18. Its_Fake

heres something in a wierd language:English

BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 9, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Reply
  19. wearelostintranslation

Before the 21st century (and maybe the 1990) in most movies and shows, they used foreign languages to develop the characters and to convey the concept of being somewhere far away. A good example of this was in Star Wars (the original 3)

Now with the US's (and maybe other English native speaking countries) notion that the world should/can speak English and film directors conveying and promoting that idea.

It's nice to see a show stepping back and making an effort to paint a picture outside of the colour English.

I applaud David Benioff and D.B. Weiss for their effort and directing skills.

May 9, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Reply
  20. Family helper

Wow, wonderful blog layout! How lengthy have you been blogging for? you make blogging glance easy. The full glance of your site is wonderful, let alone the content material!

April 26, 2013 at 2:13 am | Reply
  21. Interested in your methods

From what language(s) did you derive High Valyrian? The only word in the book (that I can remember) is 'Valar Morghulis'. Off the top of my head I recognize Mor' from the french 'mort'. I had to think a bit about 'Valar'. I thought first of "valence' then of 'valor'. and I thought a direct translation to English could be something like, "intrepid death."

To me, with Kraznys' pronunciation (or was it his appearance), it seemed more inspired by a middle-eastern language like Hebrew than latin.

Won't you at least give a small hint to what you're working with? I am so curious and fascinated! I can understand not wanting to give away too many secrets on your green-machine but come on!!!

April 22, 2013 at 10:50 am | Reply
  22. Zoplaftaliell

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read something like this just before. So nice to obtain somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this web page is some thing that's required on the internet, an individual having a small originality. helpful job for bringing some thing new to the world wide web!

christian louboutin shoes sale